Page 56 of 72 FirstFirst ... 64652535455565758596066 ... LastLast

Power Torch and lorec?
    It's like a reunion!

And welcome back, Global!
    Hope things are settling down for ya.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

I look forward to getting involved with the creative folk associated with New Dawn.

Okay plotters, here’s how I want to handle the character draft. As mentioned, participants have until the end of the week (that’s until Monday in my book) to solidify their participation.

When I have a final list of participants, I will take everyone who has committed to one book and randomize their draft order. So, the draft order will initially look like this:

Plotter E
    Plotter B
    Plotter C
    Plotter A
    Plotter D

Then, I will take everyone who has solidly committed to a second book, randomize them again, then add them to the draft list. This is why it’s critical for anyone who was a “maybe” on the second book to confirm whether they definitely want that second book before Monday. So the full order will look something like:

Plotter E
    Plotter B
    Plotter C
    Plotter A
    Plotter D
    Plotter C
    Plotter A
    Plotter B

On the first round you will announce the title of your book, pick your creative team (writer and artist), and select your first DC comics character.

So, for example, if Plotter E went first it might look like this:
    BIRDS OF PREY, Chuck Dixon (writer), Alex Ross (art); Batgirl (Barbara Gordon).

On the next go around, you can add two characters. We’ll do this until everyone gets a max of twelve additional characters (so six times) to be divided between main characters, supporting characters, and antagonists. You can’t use a DC character in your books unless drafted (so no Pa Kent just because you drafted Superman).

Accordingly, Plotter E’s second round pics might look like this:
    BIRDS OF PREY, Chuck Dixon (writer), Alex Ross (art);
    1. Batgirl (Barbara Gordon).
    Supporting Character: (2) Jimmy Olsen
    Antagonist: (3) Clayface

This could be a little tricky because it will require drafters to post one after another, and we all operate on different schedules and posting frequencies, but call me an optimist - I think we can make it work.

But Exciter, you say, what if I don’t or would prefer not to participate in the draft? Does that mean I can’t plot a book? No, of course you can still plot a book! This draft is just for first dibs. If you don’t/can’t participate, you can still leverage the LEFTOVERS option. Popular characters will probably get gobbled up, but after the draft is over if you want to pick from the leftover characters who have not been drafted you can pitch a book and roster to be approved on a first come, first serve basis. So you’re probably not going to get Batman at that point, but maybe you might get... say, B'wana Beast! And he’s cool too. If you have already committed to one or two books and would prefer the leftover option for either or both rather than entering the character draft, please let me know.

As for availability:

Any character under the DC umbrella counts, and that includes imprints like Vertigo, Wildstorm, Milestone, Amalgam, etc.

Original characters are free to use and don’t need to be drafted.

If you draft a character that is strongly associated with an organization of mostly faceless henchmen or mooks, you can reserve the faceless characters at the same time as your draft pick but not any other named characters associated with the group (so for example if you select “R’as Al Ghul and the League of Shadows,” you can use any rando assassin in the League but you can’t use Talia Al Ghul unless you draft her separately).

As for alternate universe versions of characters, they’re available as long as they’re sufficiently different from a character that’s already been drafted - use your discretion here to respect the ownership rights of fellow plotters.

There will be rewards to add and swap characters, so you’re not married to your draftees if you decide you don’t like them three months down the road.

Characters drafted by another plotter can appear in your book with that plotters permission (so if I grabbed Supergirl and you wanted her to do a guest appearance in Superman to help fight Doomsday, you’d ask and I’d say “yes sounds awesome” or “well in my book I had her trapped on Mars and depowered so it won’t really fit the continuity”)

Oh, and like in the AoM relaunch when we held off on an “Avengers” title, I think we should not do a formal Justice a League title at launch. This will allow DC’s most prominent characters to get spread around and not concentrated in one book - and them maybe we can do a cool collaborative Justice League event down the road.

Does this seem fair and comprehensive enough? Any questions?
    Age of Marvels and DC Next Dawn - Monthly Fan Made Solicitation Competitions on these very forums, make your pulls now! Want back story? Check the Wiki!

This sounds good and is very well thought out. I’m looking forward to getting this off the ground.

Astonishing Member Global Honored's Avatar

Since E has laid this out with thoughtful attention and direction, and a rightful amount of optimism, I am convinced and am going to stick a foot in the Newly Named New Dawn waters. Plus I’m a sucker for DRAFTS!

Count me in for one solo book please, good sir.

Quick question on the drafting of supportive characters. Let's say I draft Superman, but then the next guy wants to do a Lois Lane solo book...so now I can't use Lois in my Superman without permission? Am I understanding that right? I totally get, say, not having Nightwing automatically when you're doing a Batman book, but some characters are kind of needed in some books. And with Lois & Jimmy both getting titles in real life, I'd think someone here will probably have a pitch for a solo for at least one of them. What if someone wants to do a villain title (like, "Joker")?

I agree on no Justice League yet, though. That one would seem like a cheat code lol If I'm misunderstanding the rules, btw, then let me know.
    "Darkseid...always hated music..."

Every post I make, it should be assumed by the reader that the following statement is attached: "It's all subjective. What works for me doesn't necessarily work for you, and vice versa, and that's ok. You may have a different opinion on it, but this is mine. That's the wonderful thing about being a comics fan, it's all subjective."

I agree with the no Justice League thing.

For those of us doing two books, will the second be a part of the draft, or are we to leverage the Leftovers for that?

Quote Originally Posted by Global Honored View Post
    Since E has laid this out with thoughtful attention and direction, and a rightful amount of optimism, I am convinced and am going to stick a foot in the Newly Named New Dawn waters. Plus I’m a sucker for DRAFTS!

Count me in for one solo book please, good sir.
    Hell yeah! And you should like it, it’s copied almost exactly (memory permitting) from your ideas with AoM’s relaunch!

Quote Originally Posted by Clark_Kent View Post
    Quick question on the drafting of supportive characters. Let's say I draft Superman, but then the next guy wants to do a Lois Lane solo book...so now I can't use Lois in my Superman without permission? Am I understanding that right? I totally get, say, not having Nightwing automatically when you're doing a Batman book, but some characters are kind of needed in some books. And with Lois & Jimmy both getting titles in real life, I'd think someone here will probably have a pitch for a solo for at least one of them. What if someone wants to do a villain title (like, "Joker")?

I agree on no Justice League yet, though. That one would seem like a cheat code lol If I'm misunderstanding the rules, btw, then let me know.
    You’re understanding correctly. One reason for this is it makes “supporting characters” desirable for the draft, creating a much wider pool (like, who’s going to draft Iris West unless they’ve already got Flash? But if you have Flash, Iris is a desirable choice). In our history it would be unusual to have supporting characters like Jimmy Olsen as a first round draft pick. So if you picked Superman as the first character, Lois and Jimmy would likely still be available to be scooped up together in the second round.

Villain titles are also fair game, but the drafter has to consider who that book’s antagonists would be.

That being said, our plotters all have a demonstrated history of being extremely collaborative. If someone were to draft Lois Lane in the first round, I think it’s highly likely that they’d permit her to appear in a Superman book. (I personally have never actually denied a guest appearance of one of my characters).

Is that fair?

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    For those of us doing two books, will the second be a part of the draft, or are we to leverage the Leftovers for that?
    Yes, second book is part of the draft. In the initial round, people with second books will go (in pre-announced randomized order) after everyone with one book has gone. Then in the subsequent rounds it will just keep going in the same overall order until every title has 13 characters total.

It’s only leftovers if you opt out of the draft.
    Last edited by Exciter; 06-20-2019 at 11:53 AM.
    Age of Marvels and DC Next Dawn - Monthly Fan Made Solicitation Competitions on these very forums, make your pulls now! Want back story? Check the Wiki!

Quote Originally Posted by Exciter View Post
    Hell yeah! And you should like it, it’s copied almost exactly (memory permitting) from your ideas with AoM’s relaunch!

You’re understanding correctly. One reason for this is it makes “supporting characters” desirable for the draft, creating a much wider pool (like, who’s going to draft Iris West unless they’ve already got Flash? But if you have Flash, Iris is a desirable choice). In our history it would be unusual to have supporting characters like Jimmy Olsen as a first round draft pick. So if you picked Superman as the first character, Lois and Jimmy would likely still be available to be scooped up together in the second round.

Villain titles are also fair game, but the drafter has to consider who that book’s antagonists would be.

That being said, our plotters all have a demonstrated history of being extremely collaborative. If someone were to draft Lois Lane in the first round, I think it’s highly likely that they’d permit her to appear in a Superman book. (I personally have never actually denied a guest appearance of one of my characters).

Is that fair?

Yes, second book is part of the draft. In the initial round, people with second books will go (in pre-announced randomized order) after everyone with one book has gone. Then in the subsequent rounds it will just keep going in the same overall order until every title has 13 characters total.

Yep, totally fair. I just wanted to double check I was looking at it correctly. Thanks for the clarification. Are we allowed to use supporting characters that nobody drafts? I'm talking about the Perry Whites and the Jack Drakes of the world. I didn't plot with AoM, so I'm fuzzy on the little details like that.

Edit: nevermind, I just reread your post on the leftover characters after we draft (missed that part before). I think I'm all good now!
    Last edited by Clark_Kent; 06-20-2019 at 12:20 PM.
    "Darkseid...always hated music..."

Every post I make, it should be assumed by the reader that the following statement is attached: "It's all subjective. What works for me doesn't necessarily work for you, and vice versa, and that's ok. You may have a different opinion on it, but this is mine. That's the wonderful thing about being a comics fan, it's all subjective."

Quote Originally Posted by Exciter View Post

Right on, good to know.

Are we going to give this reboot a nifty subtitle a la AoM?

Astonishing Member Global Honored's Avatar

Hmmm......DCYou aka The DC Youniverse?

Are we going to give this reboot a nifty subtitle a la AoM?
    I’m open to suggestions! So far we have New Dawn: the DCYou. I can dig it.

I know some people don’t think “New Dawn” itself is a cool name but it has so much history... that was the name that had already been in place for years before I joined in 2013, so I think legacy demands we keep that part.

Hmm.

Maybe... DC: Next Dawn? As an evolution of the current name rather than a subtitle.

If that isn't sufficiently respectful of the name's heritage... DC New Dawn: New Day ?

I've no objections to the DCYou idea, just throwing out alternate possibilities.

Hmm.

Maybe... DC: Next Dawn? As an evolution of the current name rather than a subtitle.

If that isn't sufficiently respectful of the name's heritage... DC New Dawn: New Day ?

I've no objections to the DCYou idea, just throwing out alternate possibilities.
    I like Next Dawn, and New Day rocks. Both good suggestions. What do others think?