Amazing Member

Default Can someone summary me the Current Secret Avenges run?

Hi guys,

I usually love the Secret Avengers stories, but after the first issue of the current run (Spider-Woman, Black Widow, Modok,..) I dropped the book.

Why? Because I really don't like all this flat, independent crime and mystery 2D art that usually appears in IDW and Image comics. I mean it is nice to have Aja for a unique look in a book, but having the same art technique in nearly every second Marvel book is just to much for ME PERSONALLY!
    I know there are a lot of people who like the style. And that is good. Everyone has an other taste.

But to be on topic again: Would someone be so nice and just give me a short summary about what is going on right now in SA?
    So maybe I will buy the current run in Trade format.

Thanks for any help.

MODOK was really ploting against SHIELD this whole time! There a sentient bomb that talks to Spider-Woman. Hawkeye & Coulson are pointing weapons at each other like 90's era Chow Yun Fat style. Black Widow is apparantly Batman now. She's a super bad ass that disapears & reapear in any top, top, top security facility at will.

Oh, and the artwork is complete& utter elephant shit.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by GOLGO 13 View Post
    MODOK was really ploting against SHIELD this whole time! There a sentient bomb that talks to Spider-Woman. Hawkeye & Coulson are pointing weapons at each other like 90's era Chow Yun Fat style. Black Widow is apparantly Batman now. She's a super bad ass that disapears & reapear in any top, top, top security facility at will.

Oh, and the artwork is complete& utter elephant shit.

Thanks for this. Now I am sure I won't buy it.

Deadly Bee Weapon coveredinbees's Avatar

Deadpool shows up and the exposition boxes harass the reader!

I loved the artwork, but I couldn't handle the clever writing.

Quote Originally Posted by organichalyon View Post
    Thanks for this. Now I am sure I won't buy it.
    And M.O.D.O.K. suddenly in love with Maria Hill! And Black Widow was survived a black hole! Nick Fury Jr. is in... coma! Fury is pregnant!

Amazing Member

This is what I don't understand: I bought the first 2 Trades (Reverie, Iliad) from Nich Spencer's run. They look and sound like a serious undercover superhero comic.

Now his second run a this secret agent, independent style retro looking british James Bond Austin Powes feeling.

Sometimes I think the writers adapt their script based on the writer who gets assigned to the book.

Oh, and: how did the Fury end up in an Avengers comic?

Why not!?!? The Fury is retro!

This is what I don't understand: I bought the first 2 Trades (Reverie, Iliad) from Nich Spencer's run. They look and sound like a serious undercover superhero comic.

Now his second run a this secret agent, independent style retro looking british James Bond Austin Powes feeling.

Sometimes I think the writers adapt their script based on the writer who gets assigned to the book.

This isn't Nick Spencer. This is Alex Kot (who also writes a great comic called Zero, which makes this disappointing run of Secret Avengers even more disappointing) who came on for the end of the second volume and then relaunched it. The art is nice, but it doesn't really fit a spy story, which is what Secret Avengers should be, not... whatever this is right now.

I'm super bummed that the 2nd post in this thread wasn't : "No... Its a SECRET."

It's a good story with great art... in a summary.
    Hawkeye - Secret Avengers - Ms. Marvel - Inhuman - Ant-Man

Spectacular Member rhymeswithparc's Avatar

I can't actually say; it's pretty weird. The overarching story is there's some prophecy that's coming true, but I'm not entirely clear on what that prophecy is. MODOK orchestrated a lot of bad stuff that happened to the team but he's in love with Maria Hill so he might wind up actually saving the team. Black Widow is in another dimension that is possibly related to the prophecy and Coulson has PTSD but he's basically the prophet. It's really strange but I'm hoping for it to come together; I think the story wraps up next issue.

Note that this short story by Jorge Luis Borges is like, super super important to the story somehow.

For the record, I'm really liking Secret Avengers right now. Much more than when Spencer was writing.

Amazing Member

Ah yes, my bad. Ales Kot is the current writer.

Well, I think I still might pass it. I bought an issue for my IPad and.. it is not my style of writing and the art ... you know.

Thanks for your help guys and girls.

Sigh...............

Summary: MODOK joined SHIELD, found his true love, and answered the great calling of becoming an Avenger.

And the art is great.
    Last edited by itspopularnowitsucks; 12-24-2014 at 08:25 PM.

I caught up to 11 and it got so much better. I recommend it now! The panels are still silly, but the characters are deadly serious and the Black Widow thing makes sense (it never didn't).