Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Deniz Camp View Post
    Solid issue, as always, with every element strong. Not mindblowing, a clear transitional issue, but I like this "Swamp Thing Revenge Squad" Mother Machine is assembling.

At this point I don't really know what realistic option I'd put forth as a replacement for Soule. China Mieville already has a number of scripts written (8, I believe) and a whole story mapped out, so as long as the Snyder/Soule stuff didn't conflict too greatly with that I'd love to see his work finally come out.

I'd love to see what Si Spurrier could do, from within comics. And I think Al Ewing is sufficiently weird and wonderful to put an interesting take on the character. But both of them are firmly entrenched at Marvel, methinks.

Perhaps someone from outside of comics; Genevieve Valentine is doing wonderfully textured, thoughtful work on Catwoman and wouldn't mind her bringing that over to Swamp Thing in the least.
    I'd like to see what Mieville had planned, but Ian Edgington might be a good choice. He's done quite a bit of horror in the past, and I think he'd have a really interesting take on all the Parliaments.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Seconded. Fortunately this was the only flaw, I like how characters from various arcs are coming back for this final act.
    I wouldn't even call it a flaw per se. Consider that Arcane was only able to get a little bit of himself out to the real world (one of his eyes from the Villains month issue) so he wouldn't necessarily be his super planning self at least not fully. Additionally he has to keep a low profile considering the Rot's Parliament and Abby are looking for him so he can't be assertive as he once was...at least not yet.

Still I thought it was a good issue and nice to see Constantine returning the favor to Swamp Thing and I'm sure Alec will be kicking himself for not doing anything about Weeds. I also think the Machines don't really know what they got themselves into with Weeds. To them its an experiment to see if having an avatar is worthwhile, but Weeds can easily go in a direction the Calculi won't like and I think in the Futures End issue, though I maybe mistaken, they don't have an avatar anymore its the Calculus again (difference in speech bubbles) so maybe this won't work out for them after all, but the ramifications I'm sure will be felt by all.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by FanboyStranger View Post
    I'd like to see what Mieville had planned, but Ian Edgington might be a good choice. He's done quite a bit of horror in the past, and I think he'd have a really interesting take on all the Parliaments.
    I think one of the greatest moves of Soule (and Moore before him) was getting away from horror and offering a wider diversity of genres and structures. The relentless, repetitive 'set up, shock reveal' body horror of Snyder's run (a structure, I should mention, that permeates the majority of his work) became very tiresome.

That said, yup, Edgington is a fantastic choice. He's right up there in my list!
    Last edited by Deniz Camp; 12-05-2014 at 01:12 PM.

Do you meant Soule in both sentences? Your post kinda reads strange.

Astonishing Member

No I didn't! Fixed.

Solid issue, as always, with every element strong. Not mindblowing, a clear transitional issue, but I like this "Swamp Thing Revenge Squad" Mother Machine is assembling.

At this point I don't really know what realistic option I'd put forth as a replacement for Soule. China Mieville already has a number of scripts written (8, I believe) and a whole story mapped out, so as long as the Snyder/Soule stuff didn't conflict too greatly with that I'd love to see his work finally come out.

I'd love to see what Si Spurrier could do, from within comics. And I think Al Ewing is sufficiently weird and wonderful to put an interesting take on the character. But both of them are firmly entrenched at Marvel, methinks.

Perhaps someone from outside of comics; Genevieve Valentine is doing wonderfully textured, thoughtful work on Catwoman and wouldn't mind her bringing that over to Swamp Thing in the least.
    Machine Queen, Mother Machine is the Blackhawks villain Have to say, she's had a fascinating development. From former Green Avatar to cruel mentor to depowered human to vicious killer to now Machine Avatar.

China Mieville would be interesting to read. Ewings would be fun to see though not sure on his schedule since he's got a number of books under his wing, doesn't he? He's doing like two on-goings at Marvel and has that Ultron story coming out as well. Regardless, I hope its someone good... I wasn't sure about Soule when he came onboard and only read it after trying Red Lanterns so hopefully DC chooses someone good to continue this book.

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

I think one of the greatest moves of Soule (and Moore before him) was getting away from horror and offering a wider diversity of genres and structures. The relentless, repetitive 'set up, shock reveal' body horror of Snyder's run (a structure, I should mention, that permeates the majority of his work) became very tiresome.

That said, yup, Edgington is a fantastic choice. He's right up there in my list!
    That's one of the things I really like about Edgington's work over the past decade or so-- he's great at throwing genres into a blender and making it all work. Especially his 2000AD stuff, which tends be historical fiction with dashes of horror, sci-fi, fantasy, high adventure, and outright craziness. Even Hinterkind, which is labelled fantasy, has its elements of horror and sci-fi. I think he'd be fantastic with Swamp Thing.

I was tremendously disappointed by Snyder's run, mostly because I felt I had read it before. Too many homages and reverence for the Moore/Veitch eras of the book.