Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default IDW Announces "Jem And The Holograms" From Thompson And Campbell

The Holograms and the Misfits will make their comic book debut in March 2015 in an ongoing series from Kelly Thompson and Ross Campbell.

Full article here.

Naice! I remember seeing Ross Campbell's makeover of the Holograms and Misfits and loving them. Did Kelly and he pitch this idea to IDW? Pretty swell of IDW to go with it if so. Extra, extra points to have Amy Mebberson involved as well!

Marvel should be producing this, like back in the days. Oh, well.
    Will they have updated pop culture references? Madonna gets exchanged for Lady Gaga? Maybe it's easier for a concept like Jem (not revealing her real identity) to take off by building up a YouTube audience.

Writer At Comic Watch Dylan Davison's Avatar

I am going to check this out. I recall seeing a bit of the show.
    Pulls:
    Coffin: La Muerta, Lady Death, Hellwitch. Valiant: Shadowman. DC: Poison Ivy.
    Check Out My Comic Reviews And More At Comic Watch!

BANNED

I remember when this came back in the 90's and later on when it was on the "Formerly known as" the Hub network, which is now the Discovery Family Network.

An great show and I cannot wait to see how they update it to modern times.

Will be giving this a try. Curious to see how they update everything, story wise.

Can't wait for a Crossover with the Bill & Ted Comic!

Hey I can dream can't I!?

♥♥عابث سولاناس♥♥ Park Slope Pixie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    Marvel should be producing this, like back in the days. Oh, well.
    Will they have updated pop culture references? Madonna gets exchanged for Lady Gaga? Maybe it's easier for a concept like Jem (not revealing her real identity) to take off by building up a YouTube audience.
    Lady Gaga constitutes an updated reference?

You're better off sticking with Madge. Gaga stinks of 2010.

♥♥عابث سولاناس♥♥ Park Slope Pixie's Avatar

Can't wait.

Hopefully, there's the right amount of spunk and camp in the script.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Hey, Gaga 4ever

I've actually been waiting for Jem news for a really long time, and Ross Campbell rules. Good luck, Kelly!

Time to liver forever! Energist's Avatar

Disappointed it's not Christy Marx who will be writing it. I wonder if she was even asked, or at the very least consulted. Nevertheless, it is a talented creative team, and I'm a huge Jem and the Holograms fan. No way I'm not checking it out.

And I actually like the character designs. Here's another picture, this one also featuring Raya, Danse, and the Misfits:

And here's one of (scumbag) Rio:

There's been some complaints about these designs from other longtime fans across the Internet, but I don't really have a problems with any of them. In fact, I'm extremely fond of the Danse and Jetta makeovers in particular. Danse always looked a bit too much like Jem for my taste, and Jetta now looks as tough as she acts. Besides, I expect (and hope) all of their looks will evolve as the series continues.

My biggest hope, however, is that it's never taken too seriously. Christy Marx had a gift for writing Jem and the Holograms in that she managed to strike a perfect balance between outright camp and endearing storytelling. Her episodes were, ironically enough, probably the most outrageous in terms of plots, but they almost always had a great message, too. All of the best episodes, though, regardless of who wrote them, were of a similar nature. I'm cautiously optimistic that this comic can manage to capture that magic.

Anyway, this is my most-anticipated new series right now, by far. I can't wait to see some alternate covers next.
    "Forgiving the unrepentant is like drawing pictures on water." - Japanese Proverb

Spectacular Member Kelly Thompson's Avatar

@Energist:

Just for clarification - those individual character designs you posted are Campbell's 2011 "fan art redesigns."

Obviously he's taking cues from those designs (they are his after all) for the series (i.e. Shana's fantastic hair is basically the same), but I wouldn't get super attached to them as they are, some of them are definitely changing a bit - at least for the beginning of the series - as evidenced by the new Pizzazz design which is quite different from the 2011 design posted above:

http://mooncalfe.tumblr.com/post/103...comic-from-idw
    Last edited by Kelly Thompson; 12-02-2014 at 05:52 PM. Reason: typo

I saw my first episode of 'Jem and the Holograms' on The Hub (NKA Discovery Family) recently which was about the music of India's fabled Shangri La. Ironically, I saw it in the days leading up to the release of UBISOFT's Far Cry 4 which also centers around Shangri La and Kyrat.

@ pixie_solanas, I'm genuinely sorry to disagree with you in regards to Madonna. I don't think that Lady Gaga is worthy of the hatred and dislike that so many are eager to heap upon her. Lady Gaga is beautiful, diverse and far more talented then the trashy and sexually reckless Miley Cyrus, Dej Loaf and Nicki Minaj. Nicki Minaj only get's noticed because of her pink wigs and big butt while lacking talent and substance. I don't know why people fawn over Dej Loaf because there is no logic there either. Miley Cyrus is just as lame the wrecking ball she sings about.

Music artist like Whitney Houston, Bonnie Tyler, Madonna and even Cyndi Lauper had true talent, spunk, dignity, self respect and were classy in their own right which is something that cannot be said of today's stars such although there are some exceptional female music diva queens such as Rihanna, Taylor Swift, Michelle Williams, Britt Nicole, Ariana Grande and Selena Gomez.

Anyway, I wouldn't have a problem with Lady Gaga making appearances in this new 'Jem and the Holograms' comic. I love Ross Campbell's art and his modern iteration of the Holograms is pretty sweet. I'm gonna be looking forward to buying these comics. Hopefully, they'll be good just like the TMNT comics and not lame like the Transformers comics.

Will Synergy still be a thing? How about the record label?

Time to liver forever! Energist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Thompson View Post
    @Energist:

Just for clarification - those individual character designs you posted are Campbell's 2011 "fan art redesigns."

Obviously he's taking cues from those designs (they are his after all) for the series (i.e. Shana's fantastic hair is basically the same), but I wouldn't get super attached to them as they are, some of them are definitely changing a bit - at least for the beginning of the series - as evidenced by the new Pizzazz design which is quite different from the 2011 design posted above:

http://mooncalfe.tumblr.com/post/103...comic-from-idw
    Ah, okay. Thanks for the clarification. I actually saw the Pizzazz picture you linked to, but figured it was just another interpretation of the same design.

On that note, I think I'm going to leave the image up. Again, I'm hoping this is one comic book series where the mains characters' appearances don't remain static.
    "Forgiving the unrepentant is like drawing pictures on water." - Japanese Proverb