Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Spectacular Member Kelly Thompson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Energist View Post
    Ah, okay. Thanks for the clarification. I actually saw the Pizzazz picture you linked to, but figured it was just another interpretation of the same design.

On that note, I think I'm going to leave the image up. Again, I'm hoping this is one comic book series where the mains characters' appearances don't remain static.
    Oh yeah, go ahead and leave the image up. I love those designs! I just thought context and clarity would probably help here.

In relation to music I certainly think that the female act 'Fifth Harmony' is certainly worthy of being in both this new 'Jem and the Holograms' comic series along with the upcoming movie. I love their new song 'Sledgehammer'.

I was already excited that we were getting a Jem comic at all, but the creative team has officially put this into insta-buy territory.

After Glory I've become a big Ross Campbell fan. Definitely looking forward to this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rozen View Post
    I was already excited that we were getting a Jem comic at all, but the creative team has officially put this into insta-buy territory.
    I agree! Thompson and Campbell are pure awesome. Putting them together is a comic book team up for the ages!

*pleasedon'tkillmychildhood*
    I'm checking out at least the first few issues.
    These are my girls.
    "All it takes for sexism to prosper is for good men to see nothing."

Oh WOW that's a creative team alright! I've never really seen the show beyond some clips but loving the art here, that hair! Definitely gonna try it out for a few issues. Personally I'm glad this is gonna be an updated version since I'm not too familiar with the old show, hope old fans will like it too though.

Quote Originally Posted by AngelsXDemons View Post
    Nicki Minaj only get's noticed because of her pink wigs and big butt while lacking talent and substance.
    Not a huge fan of her either, but I feel for the sake of balance that you should know that Nicki Minaj at least initially seemed like a very promising rapper. Might not be your jam of course and that's fine! But if you listen to a song like "Monster" (with Jay-Z, Kanye West, Bon Iver and Rick Ross), she completely outshines all the other superstars on that song in just 1 verse. Gotta admit that I'm quite dissapointed by her more recent direction into pop and shock value videos (the one with the weirdly Nazi-like iconography for example), but I still feel like it's an oversimplification to say she only became popular because she wears bikinis and wigs.
    For a brief moment it really seemed like she could be a real icon in hiphop and she can definitely rap well, even if her recent lyrics are all about butts. Again, not attacking you here, but just wanted to put that out there.
    All the cool cats are reading CBR's Community Standards & Rules!

1) I LOVED JEM as a kid. Yes, I am a guy. Sue me. Actually, pretty much everyone loved JEM when I was a kid.

2) A JEM comic could give IDW an Archie-like series that could really break into markets not served by their existing line. Somewhere between MLP and adult/young adult titles like Transformers, GI Joe, etc, lies a market that could really plug into this.

3) I want me those hologram variants!

BANNED

so according to the artist on tumblr....Kimber And Stormer will be a couple in this series...

Quote Originally Posted by TotalSnorefest View Post
    Not a huge fan of her either, but I feel for the sake of balance that you should know that Nicki Minaj at least initially seemed like a very promising rapper. Might not be your jam of course and that's fine! But if you listen to a song like "Monster" (with Jay-Z, Kanye West, Bon Iver and Rick Ross), she completely outshines all the other superstars on that song in just 1 verse. Gotta admit that I'm quite dissapointed by her more recent direction into pop and shock value videos (the one with the weirdly Nazi-like iconography for example), but I still feel like it's an oversimplification to say she only became popular because she wears bikinis and wigs.
    For a brief moment it really seemed like she could be a real icon in hiphop and she can definitely rap well, even if her recent lyrics are all about butts. Again, not attacking you here, but just wanted to put that out there.
    I definitely agree with you. My favorite Nicki Minaj song is 'Freedom'. I had high hopes for Nicki Minaj also but with the debut of the over-sexualized 'Anaconda' album cover and music video I have kinda just given up hope and raised my white flag lol. It seems as if you just can't find good female artist in the HipHop market. It's almost as if most of the female artist in the Rap/HipHop genre are always sex kittens, MKUltra victims or something like that. I don't know if that is because 'the powers that be' want to keep HipHop a male dominated market or something. I certainly think that the 'Big 4' of HipHop right now is most definitely the talented LeCrae, Andy Mineo, Matisyahu and Trip Lee. LeCrae's last three albums; 'Gravity', 'Church Clothes Vol 2' and 'Anomaly' have been phenomenal. Trip Lee's 'Rise' is still ranking high on both iTunes and Google Play. 'Watch The Walls Melt' down is my favorite track off of Matisyahu's 'Akeda'. Eminem just doesn't dominate like he used to although I loved 'Monster' featuring Rihanna. I also think that Justin Timberlake has his eyes on marrying together Pop, Rhythm/Blues and HipHop which is something that artist like Capital Kings, Royal Tailor, Fifth Harmony, Owl City, TobyMac and Britt Nicole are already doing a good and catchy mix of already. Although, I have not entirely written Nicki Minaj off, I have to be honest and say that I have gravely low expectations for her upcoming album. I'm starting to prefer Lady Gaga over Nicki any day. I mean, Lady Gaga's 'Art Pop' was actually pretty neat, I liked it so much that I bought the 'clean edit' off of Google Play and I really do hope that Lady Gaga will be in the 'Jem and the Holograms' movie and a cameo from Nicki Minaj wouldn't be a bad think because she practically wears the 'Jem and the Holograms' colors all the time lol.

@Anjohl, Ditto and ditto again. Both 'Archie and 'Sabrina The Teenage Witch' are my favorite franchises from Archie Comics and it's nice to hear that they're actually making a 'Archie meets Twin Peaks' kind of show on FOX although Disney and Cartoon Network have kinda beaten them to it with 'Gravity Falls' and 'Adventure Time; both of which are excellent shows and that goes without speaking of the really sassy 'Steven Universe' show.
    Last edited by AngelsXDemons; 12-04-2014 at 02:59 PM.

BANNED

any clue when we might see the variants? i guess near the end of the month but with holidays being around at that time...I doubt it

More eldritch than thou Venomous Mask's Avatar

Interesting. Maybe they could have the band play Maroon 5-style dance pop rock.
    "I should describe my known nature as tripartite, my interests consisting of three parallel and disassociated groups; a) love of the strange and the fantastic, b) love of abstract truth and scientific logic, c) love of the ancient and the permanent. Sundry combinations of these strains will probably account for my...odd tastes, and eccentricities."

Quote Originally Posted by AngelsXDemons View Post
    Although, I have not entirely written Nicki Minaj off, I have to be honest and say that I have gravely low expectations for her upcoming album. I'm starting to prefer Lady Gaga over Nicki any day. I mean, Lady Gaga's 'Art Pop' was actually pretty neat
    Yeah it's really a shame, maybe one day she'll rap good again though! Totally agreed on Gaga too btw, occassionally I do work for a concert venue and got to be in the building during several of her shows. While I think she could do even better without the computer effects over her voice, she does feel pretty genuine. No playbacking, she dances and sings, plays piano; pretty much the full package of a real popstar. Thanks for the recommendations though, didn't know most of those yet! I feel like my knowledge of hiphop has always been a little surface, people like Watsky and Kanye I play a lot. Also big on Q-Tip, his album with Busta Rhymes last year (Abstract+Dragon, it's a free mixtape) was really good. For female rappers, Angel Haze is really good and not very oversexualised by marketing (check out Werkin' Girls if you wanna try her music).
    All the cool cats are reading CBR's Community Standards & Rules!

Quote Originally Posted by Venomous Mask View Post
    Interesting. Maybe they could have the band play Maroon 5-style dance pop rock.
    Or maybe they could have them do some more complex, really cool indie-pop.
    Get something good out there for once.
    "All it takes for sexism to prosper is for good men to see nothing."

More eldritch than thou Venomous Mask's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Water View Post
    Or maybe they could have them do some more complex, really cool indie-pop.
    Get something good out there for once.
    That's an idea, or maybe a hard rock band.
    "I should describe my known nature as tripartite, my interests consisting of three parallel and disassociated groups; a) love of the strange and the fantastic, b) love of abstract truth and scientific logic, c) love of the ancient and the permanent. Sundry combinations of these strains will probably account for my...odd tastes, and eccentricities."