Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by AngelsXDemons View Post
    The people who are complaining are just folks with a lack of wonder, imagination and a sense of humor. This comic book is going to be successful, especially if Adventure Time fans take an interest in it. It has the some kind of quirky humor and whimsical art fare as that of Bee & Puppycat or Sunset Overdrive. I like Erica Henderson's art on Squirrel Girl. Ryan North and Erica Henderson are doing for Marvel what Becky Cloonan, Babs Tarr and Cameron Stewart are doing for DC Comics and as a result it attracts a larger audience which in turn causes more people to take an interest in comic books and that's only a good thing. Titles such as Squirrel Girl, Gotham By Midnight, Gotham Academy, Jem & the Holograms and InHumans help garner the interest of female, teenage, young adult and average joe demographics and get them buying comics.

The problem is some people hate change and diversity but it's a blessing when the entertainment industry embraces the beautiful spectrum of individuality, metamorphosis and takes a divergent road to create colorful and whimsically unique experiences which enriches our comic reading experience. It's nice to see a step away from the dark greys, bloody reds and browns of past comics as titles like the Sara Pichelli illustrations on 'Guardians of the Galaxy' and Joe Madureira on the manga stylish 'inHumans'.
    Honestly, looking at it, it seems perfectly fine. I really do like the style overall and think it fits with the tone the book is going for... except for her face... her face looks.... REALLY Derpy in every single frame...

I just looked through everything, and every single background character that has a defined face has a well drawn face. Kraven does, all the bystanders at that school building do... but she doesn't.... It just... Maybe it's her facial expressions? She looks just REALLY REALLY goofy and not in a "Haha, this is a comedy series!" Way, in a ".... What expression was the artist going for here?..." Way...

BANNED

Squirrel Girl was kinda off-kilter when she first appeared. Definitely a little crazy.

Cool as she might have looked, I wasn't all that fond of Deodato's version. Too sexy for someone running around dressed as a squirrel.

Quote Originally Posted by Quolnok View Post
    What happened to Squirrel Girl's tail on the fourth page? Her tail is established as being real and there's no way it's under those clothes. Has she gained the ability to retract it?
    That was my first reaction, isn't her tail, claws, and facial markings apart of her mutation?

Picking this up, looks bouncy and fun.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant God View Post
    That was my first reaction, isn't her tail, claws, and facial markings apart of her mutation?
    The tail and claws definitely are, but I think the facial markings might be make-up or could be covered with it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by cyberhubbs View Post
    Squirrel Girl was kinda off-kilter when she first appeared. Definitely a little crazy.

Cool as she might have looked, I wasn't all that fond of Deodato's version. Too sexy for someone running around dressed as a squirrel.
    Deodato's version was awesome.

But like I said before, I think they're trying to attract a different target audience since the comics right now is already saturated with a lot of ongoing solos and the ones that were released last, like Elektra, Storm and Cyclops are getting the low sales.

BANNED

This looks like the kinda comic I could go nuts for!

if the series blows up, all the better. Hopefully this will become an animated series.

Marvel launching waves of titles like this are why I'm going to DC despite its metric tons of issues.

I also have to wonder how real comic book artists feel about this stuff passing as publishable material these days.

Quote Originally Posted by megaharrison View Post
    Marvel launching waves of titles like this are why I'm going to DC despite its metric tons of issues.

I also have to wonder how real comic book artists feel about this stuff passing as publishable material these days.
    1. I'm not sure I understand how the quantity of titles a publisher puts out is somehow seen as a reason to stop buying from that publisher. Are you feeling pressured somehow to buy all of them?

2. Regarding that crack about "real comic book artists," I have to wonder how you expect to be taken seriously. Comics as an art form goes light years beyond the traditional styles of Marvel & DC. When the big mainstream companies show an appreciation for styles beyond the norm around which their popular titles revolve, when they show the creativity, imagination, and guts to try something beyond the usual fare, something intended to fill a fun niche, I consider it a triumph for those companies. I suspect most "real comic book artists" do as well.

BANNED

I Only Know him from the adventure time comics but i trust ryan north to do something special with this...so off to the pull list you go Squirrel Girl!

OMG this looks all kinds of amazing. "It's not a purse, it's a leather satchel!" This is probably gonna be light, funny stuff and that's just the way I like it. Couldn't think of a single better thing for Ryan North to be doing than this. (Well, maybe to stay on Adventure Time forever.)

Quote Originally Posted by Chrysalis_Changling View Post
    I Only Know him from the adventure time comics but i trust ryan north to do something special with this...so off to the pull list you go Squirrel Girl!
    Same, I checked out some of his other work though and it's consistently great. The Midas Flesh at Boom! was a bit more serious at time, but he's got jokes in spades judging from Adventure Time and his web-comic Dinosaur Comics.
    All the cool cats are reading CBR's Community Standards & Rules!

BANNED

hoping this becomes Marvel's Surprise Hit...Counter To DC's Surprise Hit Of The Ongoing Harley Quinn Series

BANNED

I wish they could give a shout out to the Squirrel Master!

Quote Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
    Ah.. A comedy book.

Not interested.

I really wanted this to be a serious book. Like how Bendis wrote SG in Fear Itself tie-ins of New Avengers.
    I didn't want it to be serious. It's Squirrel Girl - it should be fun and goofy and silly and fun. I actually agree with someone who took issue with the "Unbeatable" part. I don't think she should be going up against the likes of Galactus, as the second issue's solicit shows. I think foes like Kraven are a great fit, and I think there should be all sorts of foes that are just plain bizarre. An issue of New Warriors had Kaine and Justice fight a guy in a 50' bear mascot costume. That's the sort of absurdity that would be perfect for a Squirrel Girl series.