Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Amazing Member

Default Recommend Convergence Titles for New Readers

For those of us that just started collecting with the emergence of the New 52, can you veterans help sell us on the titles you are most excited about and why? I understand Len Wein with Swamp Thing for instance since he was the creator but I'm not entirely familiar with these creative teams or even who some of these characters are. Any recommendations are helpful.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by gimpboy76 View Post
    For those of us that just started collecting with the emergence of the New 52, can you veterans help sell us on the titles you are most excited about and why? I understand Len Wein with Swamp Thing for instance since he was the creator but I'm not entirely familiar with these creative teams or even who some of these characters are. Any recommendations are helpful.
    Well first thing you do is find your favorite character. Then look into as much of the history of that character you can find. Read whatever books you can of that character or characters to get yourself knowledgeable to the history of where they came from and the journey they took to where you see them now.

The best way to understand is to read the history of the characters.

BANNED

Step 1 - Forget everything that LexRules just said. You shouldn't have to have some deep understanding of the history of a character to enjoy a story.

That said, yes, these are "throwbacks" to earlier versions of the characters, but you should be able to get the idea "This is the Earth 2 heroes in a world where they started out during World War II" - "This is a world where the Justice League is all evil" pretty easily. Maybe a quick spin through Wikipedia based on the description from the solicitations.

I'd say if you like Batman, pick out the ones with versions of Batman in them. That sort of thing.

If you happen to have any writers or artists you really like, obviously get those.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by GlennSimpson View Post
    Step 1 - Forget everything that LexRules just said. You shouldn't have to have some deep understanding of the history of a character to enjoy a story.

That said, yes, these are "throwbacks" to earlier versions of the characters, but you should be able to get the idea "This is the Earth 2 heroes in a world where they started out during World War II" - "This is a world where the Justice League is all evil" pretty easily. Maybe a quick spin through Wikipedia based on the description from the solicitations.

I'd say if you like Batman, pick out the ones with versions of Batman in them. That sort of thing.

If you happen to have any writers or artists you really like, obviously get those.
    So it's wrong to know the history of a character, You're so misguided. Knowledge is power not lack there of. Read as much as you can not discourage them from doing so.

Just terrible. I don't know how you call yourself a comic book fan discouraging someone from reading and discovering for themselves what they like and don't like about a character.
    Last edited by Lexrules; 12-02-2014 at 03:42 PM.

Amazing Member

Thanks for your comments. Can you sell me on any of the creative teams I should be taking note of, I realize Wolfman writing Teen Titans is significant, as is Wein with Swamp Thing, and Jurgens with Booster Gold. I saw somewhere someone said that the team that wrote Flash Gordon is writing the Shazam book. I guess I'm looking not just for those stories that star my favorite characters, but also those that are significant in someway because it's bringing in the original creator, or a significant artist, something to get me excited for this event.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by gimpboy76 View Post
    Thanks for your comments. Can you sell me on any of the creative teams I should be taking note of, I realize Wolfman writing Teen Titans is significant, as is Wein with Swamp Thing, and Jurgens with Booster Gold. I saw somewhere someone said that the team that wrote Flash Gordon is writing the Shazam book. I guess I'm looking not just for those stories that star my favorite characters, but also those that are significant in someway because it's bringing in the original creator, or a significant artist, something to get me excited for this event.
    I think from that point of view I would suggest (in addition to what you've mentioned):

Nightwing and Oracle by Gail Simone
    Question by Greg Rucka
    Superman by Dan Jurgens
    Atom by Tom Peyer
    Infinity Inc by Jerry Ordway
    Detective Comics by Len Wein
    Worlds Finest by Paul Levitz
    Adventures of Superman by Marv Wolfman
    Hawkman by Tim Truman
    Superman: Man of Steel by Louise Simonson

We don't really have as many of the classic artists as we do writers, which is why I focused on writers mostly.

Convergence chacklist:

SUPERMAN
    Writer: Dan Jurgens
    Artist Lee Weeks and Dan Jurgens/Norm Rapmund

THE ATOM

Writer: Tom Peyer
    Artist: Steve Yeowell / Andy Owens

BATGIRL

Writer: Alisa Kwitney
    Artist: Rick Leonardi and Mark Pennington

NIGHTWING/ORACLE

Writer: Gail Simone
    Artist: Jan Duursema and Dan Parsons

SPEED FORCE

Writer: Tony Bedard
    Artist: Tom Grummett and Sean Parsons

TITANS
    Writer: Fabian Nicieza
    Artist: Ron Wagner and Jose Marzan

JUSTICE LEAGUE

Writer: Frank Tieri
    Artist: Vicente Cifuentes

QUESTION
    Writer: Greg Rucka
    Artist: Cully Hamner

BATMAN & ROBIN

Writer: Ron Marz
    Artist: Denys Cowan and Klaus Janson

HARLEY QUINN
    Writer: Steve Pugh
    Artist: Phil Winslade and John Dell

SUPERMAN: MAN OF STEEL
    Writer: Louise Simonson
    Artist: June Brigman and Roy Richardson, with color by John Rauch

BATMAN: SHADOW OF THE BAT
    Writer: Larry Hama

Artist: Philip Tan and Jason Paz, with color by Elmer Santos

JUSTICE LEAGUE INTERNATIONAL
    Writer: Ron Marz
    Artist: Mike Manley, with color by Sotocolor

SUPERGIRL: MATRIX
    Writer: Keith Giffen
    Artist: Ramon Bachs, with color by Hi-Fi

GREEN LANTERN/PARALLAX

Artist: Ron Wagner and Bill Reinhold, with color by Paul Mounts

CATWOMAN
    Writer: Justin Gray

Artist: Ron Randall, with color by Gabe Eltaeb

SUPERBOY
    Artist: Karl Moline and Jose Marzan Jr, with color by Hi-Fi

GREEN ARROW

Writer: Christy Marx

Artist: Rags Morales and Claude St-Aubin, with color by Nei Ruffino

AQUAMAN
    Artist: Cliff Richards, with color by John Rauch

SUICIDE SQUAD
    Writer: Frank Tieri

Artist: Tom Mandrake, with color by Sian Mandrake

BATMAN AND THE OUTSIDERS
    Writer: Marc Andreyko
    Artist: Carlos D’Anda
    Colorist: Gabe Eltaeb

ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN
    Writer: Marv Wolfman
    Artists: Roberto Viacava and Andy Owens
    Colorist: Sotocolor

WONDER WOMAN

Writer: Larry Hama
    Art and Color: Josh Middleton

THE FLASH
    Writer: Dan Abnett
    Artist: Federico Dallocchio
    Colorist: Veronica Gandini

SUPERBOY AND THE LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES
    Writer: Stuart Moore
    Artists: Gus Storms and Mark Farmer
    Colorist: John Rauch

GREEN LANTERN CORPS

Writer: David Gallaher
    Artists: Steve Ellis and Ande Parks
    Colorist: Hi-Fi

SWAMP THING

Writer: Len Wein
    Artist: Kelley Jones
    Colorist: Michelle Madsen

JUSTICE LEAGUE AMERICA

Artist: ChrisCross
    Colorist: Snakebite Cortez

HAWKMAN
    Writer: Jeff Parker
    Artists: Tim Truman and Enrique Alcatena
    Colorist: John Kalisz

NEW TEEN TITANS
    Writer: Marv Wolfman
    Artists: Nicola Scott and Marc Deering
    Colorist: Jeromy Cox

JUSTICE SOCIETY OF AMERICA
    Writer: Dan Abnett
    Artists: Tom Derenick and Trevor Scott
    Colorist: Monica Kubina

INFINITY INC.
    Writer: Jerry Ordway
    Artist: Ben Caldwell
    Colorist: Jordie Bellaire

DETECTIVE COMICS
    Writer: Len Wein
    Artists: Denys Cowan and Bill Sienkiewicz
    Colorist: Felix Serrano

ACTION COMICS

Writer: Justin Gray
    Artists: Claude St-Aubin and Sean Parsons
    Colorist: Lovern Kindzierski

WORLD’S FINEST COMICS
    Writer: Paul Levitz
    Artists: Jim Fern and Joe Rubinstein with cartoons by Shannon Wheeler
    Colorist: Paul Mounts

CRIME SYNDICATE
    Writer: Brian Buccellato
    Artist: Phil Winslade
    Colorist: Lovern Kindzierski

BLUE BEETLE
    Writer: Scott Lobdell
    Artist: Yishan Li
    Colorist: Dave McCaig

PLASTIC MAN AND THE FREEDOM FIGHTERS
    Writer: Simon Oliver
    Artist: John McCrea
    Colorist: John Kalisz

SHAZAM
    Writer: Jeff Parker
    Artist: Evan “Doc” Shaner
    Colorist: Jordie Bellaire

BOOSTER GOLD

Writer: Dan Jurgens
    Artists: Alvaro Martinez and Raul Fernandez
    Colorist: Chris Sotomayor

I would say the most important ones to get will be Booster Gold (because it's the one most likely to tie it all into New52) and New Teen Titans (with Wolfman).

I was surprised that some characters didn't get their own title during the event, namely Lobo, who was a big star for DC in the '90s, and Starman.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Quote Originally Posted by Lexrules View Post
    So it's wrong to know the history of a character, You're so misguided. Knowledge is power not lack there of. Read as much as you can not discourage them from doing so.

Just terrible. I don't know how you call yourself a comic book fan discouraging someone from reading and discovering for themselves what they like and don't like about a character.
    Glenn never said it was wrong. But its not what TC was asking for. He was asking which of the Convergence titles we would recommend since his knowledge of the DCU springs only from the New 52 and hes therefore not too familiar with some of these creative teams or characters.

I mean by all means yeah, go read a bunch of comics and enjoy 'em, there lots of good stuff. But TC wasnt asking for recommendations of past works. Just opinions on the convergence titles.

Amazing Member

I think from that point of view I would suggest (in addition to what you've mentioned):

Nightwing and Oracle by Gail Simone
    Question by Greg Rucka
    Superman by Dan Jurgens
    Atom by Tom Peyer
    Infinity Inc by Jerry Ordway
    Detective Comics by Len Wein
    Worlds Finest by Paul Levitz
    Adventures of Superman by Marv Wolfman
    Hawkman by Tim Truman
    Superman: Man of Steel by Louise Simonson

We don't really have as many of the classic artists as we do writers, which is why I focused on writers mostly.
    Thanks for this list, and thanks for the input everyone else. I am more into the writing anyway so this is a good list!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dark-Flux View Post
    Glenn never said it was wrong. But its not what TC was asking for. He was asking which of the Convergence titles we would recommend since his knowledge of the DCU springs only from the New 52 and hes therefore not too familiar with some of these creative teams or characters.

I mean by all means yeah, go read a bunch of comics and enjoy 'em, there lots of good stuff. But TC wasnt asking for recommendations of past works. Just opinions on the convergence titles.
    The writer shouldn't matter unless you just read comics for the writer instead of the actual characters. Before someone reads about these characters in Convergence you should know who and what these characters are not who is writing what. Since OP says he or she is a new reader it is best to know who these characters are you are reading about. That is where my suggestion comes in. Read about the characters not who is writing them for this.

Time for Dissection FlashingSabre's Avatar

I recommend Speed Force, partly because it needs to sell as many copies as possible so that classic Wally West will be brought back, but mostly because WAlly is one of the most weld developed and enjoyable superheroes around.
    Cyclops was right

EDIT:

Nevermind. I misread something in the opening post and title.
    Last edited by Desh; 12-02-2014 at 07:40 PM.

All-New Member

If you were going to take a chance on a Batman-related story, I'd try Detective. I've been loosely following the solicits for Convergence, and not a whole lot has been appealing. However, I just noticed that not only is Len Wein writing the book but Bill Sienkiewicz is one of the artists. Perhaps he's only inking, but I'm definitely getting this after just enjoying his Stray Toasters. I absolutely love his art, and I'd love to see more of it in the contemporary marketplace. I'd think Jock and Sorrentino would cite him as an influence...maybe.

BANNED

I suggest you check out Plastic Man and the Freedom Fighters, if you want to get familiar with really cool, but obscure characters.

Quote Originally Posted by FlashingSabre View Post
    I recommend Speed Force, partly because it needs to sell as many copies as possible so that classic Wally West will be brought back, but mostly because WAlly is one of the most weld developed and enjoyable superheroes around.
    pretty much the reason I am buying 10 copies of this book! but yeah, read it and hopefully you will understand why there is such an uproar on this forums about Wally reverting back to a 12 year old.