Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Will Smith as Deadshot? Awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by JBladeus View Post
    Its a suicide squad movie. Somebody's got to get their head blown.
    Good point, somebody has to get killed off and Enchantress seems like the obvious candidate.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kalen O. View Post
    Even better, answer with how many black characters they have to draw from in the comic books in the first place.
    Suicide Squad alone, which is, to be certain you understand this, what this thread and the movie is about :

Bronze Tiger
    Vixen
    Amanda Waller
    Black Spider
    Black manta
    Crowbar

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post
    will smith is pretty much accepted as a good actor when he's playing sarcastic funny type characters.
    Deadshot isn't nearly as serious as some of you are describing him.
    Agreed. Deadshot is the roguish type of arsehat.. Smith fits it perfectly to me.

Spectacular Member

This is really cool. Jarred Leto as Joker - awesome!

Then Margot Robbie as Harley? Love it! Be interesting to hear how she sounds too. So funny her being Donna in Neighbours and now Harley Quinn.

All-New Member

As others have said they most likely put Smith as Deadshot because they wanted the main character to have selling/star power which Smith has and Deadshot doesn't even after Afterearth(that wasn't a pun)
    Still Smith could definitely play Deadshot. The rest of the casting i like especially the Australian playing an Australian thing.

Not even gonna give credit to the race swap debate.(its stupid)

Astonishing Member Lady Warp Spasm's Avatar

Very good cast. Nice to see Tom Hardy as a different DC character...now if I only liked these characters.
    archer * magician *soldier * spy

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    when it's already been pointed out Smith is a large box office draw. That's why so many of these "Well if they wanted a minority character they should have used this person instead!" arguments fall back.
    One of like a hundred. Jason Statham is a box office draw. So is Sylvester Stallone. Hugh Jackman, Clint Eastwood, whatever. So is a massive, massive list of people.

Your argument opens up such a gaping hole that you could use that to explain why casting Anne Hathaway would be a good choice for Deadshot.

So now, why not have Anne Hathaway as Deadshot? She's a much bigger box office draw than Will Smith.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by JBladeus View Post
    Its a suicide squad movie. Somebody's got to get their head blown.
    Yeah but she is still a magical character in the comics and seeing how the DCCU will say "**** Nolan realism" it would not surprised me if she gets her powers in the movie universe. WB movie executives confirmed a few months ago that Wonder Woman will be indeed the daughter of Zeus in the DCCU. Say bye bye to Nolan realism.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Baba3231 View Post
    When anyone thinks of Spiderman, they think of Peter Parker, who is a white man. Using Miles Morales would then be a black character in a role that one automatically associates with a white character, and would in my opinion also by a form of race bending, it goes both ways
    No it doesn't. Using different characters should not count as race bending due to the ignorance of the general audience.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    Hmmmm, didn't know that, the film had a bit of a messy end though with the changes and all. I do like Will Smith anyway, it just worries me that casting exes seem to feel the essential need to race swap for the sake of it, rather than draw the focus on actual black characters like Bronze Tiger. I'm not saying it should never happen, just that the increasing run of it concerns me that it's not usually done for the right reasons.
    I don't think they are doing that so much as putting their most bankable actor in the role of the star of Suicide Squad. Deadshot is as close to SS's Wolverine as the team has, at least pre-Harley. Deadshot is the star of the comic, Smith is the star of the film, so Smith is going to play Deadshot, it's likely that simple.

Incredible Member

Will Smith as Deadshot I wonder how he'll attempt to shoehorn his son into the movie.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by TOXIC View Post
    One of like a hundred. Jason Statham is a box office draw. So is Sylvester Stallone. Hugh Jackman, Clint Eastwood, whatever. So is a massive, massive list of people.

Your argument opens up such a gaping hole that you could use that to explain why casting Anne Hathaway would be a good choice for Deadshot.

So now, why not have Anne Hathaway as Deadshot? She's a much bigger box office draw than Will Smith.
    lol Based on what? ANd that does not disprove Smith as large draw.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tazirai View Post
    Agreed. Deadshot is the roguish type of arsehat.. Smith fits it perfectly to me.
    Except that Deadshot is completely deadpan. He's Tommy Lee Jone's Tommy Lee Jones. I don't see him fitting that unless he's willing to set his usual persona aside.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    I don't think they are doing that so much as putting their most bankable actor in the role of the star of Suicide Squad. Deadshot is as close to SS's Wolverine as the team has, at least pre-Harley. Deadshot is the star of the comic, Smith is the star of the film, so Smith is going to play Deadshot, it's likely that simple.
    Agree. I can't imagine Will Smith playing a role in a movie if he does not get to play as the "star" of the moment.