Page 50 of 56 FirstFirst ... 40464748495051525354 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Issue 228:
    No real surprises. The Punisher loses the armor, but escapes. It is not the best possible ending. But, it is the best ending that Marvel (which needs a recognizable status quo) is going to allow. There were some good moments, including the Punisher starting a fire in the prison. (I admit, I giggled.)

Last week's ComicShopNews had a brief article about the upcoming run of comics, including commentary from Rosenberg and the artist. If their comments are anything to go by, the Punisher may be losing the armor, but the re-numbered series will be thematically similar to the arc that just ended, highlighting how the Punisher will contend with more powerful enemies.
    Last edited by CentralPower; 07-31-2018 at 11:26 AM.
    Current pull-file: Batman the Detective, Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight, Marvel Dark Ages, Nightwing, Superman Son of Kal-El, Transformers, Transformers: King Grimlock, Warhammer 40,000 Sisters of Battle
    -----------------------------
    - http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

I know that for fans who only know Punisher via Ennis that what I'm going to say next seems like a bad idea.
    Let me state that for the most part Ennis didn't do much thematically different from Barron, Dixon or other writers.

I'd like to see Punisher have some small recurring foes. He started off by always being after Kingpin. Then Jigsaw would be a recurring threat. Ennis put Ma Gnucci and The Russian out there so, see what I'm saying.

Currently, since the Rucka run, we've basically had the recurring idea of "Avengers take down Frank". This is twice now in as many years to visit this concept. I'd like Frank to just have a recurring set of foes/mob bosses and the like once again.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Mighty Member

But...Ennis had boobies in his comics. (Hey, what?)

Joking aside, I agree. But, for that to work, Punisher would have to be moved from NYC (hero-central) to another city (Boston, Chicago, whatever) with a lower profile.
    Current pull-file: Batman the Detective, Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight, Marvel Dark Ages, Nightwing, Superman Son of Kal-El, Transformers, Transformers: King Grimlock, Warhammer 40,000 Sisters of Battle
    -----------------------------
    - http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

Frank was again amazing in CGR.

Hilarious but sensical as well.

I hope this book lasts.

Throughly enjoying all this Punisher goodness with Rosenberg and CGR.

Baby Thanos Member catbellysqueezer's Avatar

The description for the new series says, "the paths to such perilous pursuits are fraught with dangers bigger than any Frank has faced before, and this lone wolf could use otherworldly help on his way up to the world stage."

Does anyone have any ideas who/what the otherworldly help could be?
    Baby Thanos

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    I know that for fans who only know Punisher via Ennis that what I'm going to say next seems like a bad idea.
    Let me state that for the most part Ennis didn't do much thematically different from Barron, Dixon or other writers.

I'd like to see Punisher have some small recurring foes. He started off by always being after Kingpin. Then Jigsaw would be a recurring threat. Ennis put Ma Gnucci and The Russian out there so, see what I'm saying.

Currently, since the Rucka run, we've basically had the recurring idea of "Avengers take down Frank". This is twice now in as many years to visit this concept. I'd like Frank to just have a recurring set of foes/mob bosses and the like once again.
    Did he use to have recurring villains ? i didn't know that, then again i just read some of the Ennis stuff. But it should be impossible for Punisher to have recurring villains 'cause Frank Kills, even if he had recurring villains with the fact of Frank just murders his enemies, that would make Frank Look incompetent and terrible at what he does and probably lose reads (like me).

Quote Originally Posted by catbellysqueezer View Post
    The description for the new series says, "the paths to such perilous pursuits are fraught with dangers bigger than any Frank has faced before, and this lone wolf could use otherworldly help on his way up to the world stage."

Does anyone have any ideas who/what the otherworldly help could be?
    May be they will team him up with Dr. Strange again.
    Last edited by Gurz; 08-11-2018 at 01:43 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CentralPower View Post
    But...Ennis had boobies in his comics. (Hey, what?)

Joking aside, I agree. But, for that to work, Punisher would have to be moved from NYC (hero-central) to another city (Boston, Chicago, whatever) with a lower profile.
    So you admit your love for Russian's boobies huh... to each his own i guess... lol

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Finally got around to Punisher #228(last Legacy issue) of the War Machine armor run.
    I enjoyed the heck out of this run and knew there were only 2 scenarios in which it ended.
    A) Frank is able to do a decoy situation and make a strategic retreat making Fury, Carol, Tony or whomever look silly leaving them embarrassed
    B) Frank gets captured and escapes

They went with B and had Natasha&Bucky free him this time. The part I wasn't expecting was the heart-to-heart with Rhodey to get Frank to stand down.

This was my last monthly Punisher issue so I feel I'm ending things on a good run. So many factors at play in my abandoning of the monthly format but I'll be around via trades to keep up with Frank.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

I was a little hesitant about Frank returning to his roots because that feels like it's been done to death. But Rosenberg is literally on fire. Everything the guy writes is gold. And if the new volume will be thematically similar, I'm all in.

Quote Originally Posted by mreddie View Post

That looks fantastic! CAN'T WAIT!
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post
    I was a little hesitant about Frank returning to his roots because that feels like it's been done to death. But Rosenberg is literally on fire. Everything the guy writes is gold. And if the new volume will be thematically similar, I'm all in.
    I am all in as well.
    "Life is too short so love the one you got cause you might get run over or you might get shot" - Sublime

so can this run finally avoid the "mainstream heroes decide it's time to handle the Punisher once and for all" storyline?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    so can this run finally avoid the "mainstream heroes decide it's time to handle the Punisher once and for all" storyline?
    I think it's more along the lines of "Punisher decides it's time to handle mainstream villains once and for all"