Page 23 of 56 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast

Ennis MAX Punisher series, is the ultimate Punisher collection. I doubt someone can top that.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bionder View Post
    Ennis MAX Punisher series, is the ultimate Punisher collection. I doubt someone can top that.
    Rucka comes close... but no cigar. Lapham (in DD vs Punisher Means & Ends) and Brubaker (in Daredevil) are next in line. Highly recommended. Totally forgot about Miller (in DD) he's not shabby either. Hah.
    Last edited by batnbreakfast; 02-19-2016 at 10:11 AM.

What we do is secret Oskar Von Strange's Avatar

Has there been any word on the upcoming Ennis written mini, "The Platoon"?
    Currently reading:Creepy, Eerie, The Goddamned, The Goon, Haunted Horror, Hellboy, King Conan, Last Gang in Town, Sherrif of Babylon, Stray Bullets, Usagi Yojimbo, Weird Love

New promotional pic for Daredevil Season 2, I spy a skull:

^^Very Tim Bradstreet but kinda too macho/badass, too. The Punisher shouldn't enjoy his work. He's not thinking: "Are you looking at me? You looking at me?"

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Séb View Post
    New promotional pic for Daredevil Season 2, I spy a skull:

Woah! I spy one there too!!!! I will geek out upon seeing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bionder View Post
    They really can't. Ennis is just an immensely talented writer. No less than an Alan Moore or Morrison type to me, he's can deliver that level of quality.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

BANNED

Happy Birthday Greg Larocque!!!

Spider-man, Black Cat, and the Punisher by Greg Larocque.

Fantastic Member

Don't have a lot of exposure to The Punisher, other than some of his guest appearances in '80's comics (Daredevil by Frank Miller, Spectacular Spider-man). I also had the great '80's Punisher mini-series w/fantastic art by Mike Zeck; I later got the small HC collecting this series.

I will say that the Punisher: War Zone film from the late 200X's was amazing, and this is definitely the best on-screen depiction of the character. Very hardcore, and I especially liked the battle scenes in the abandoned warehouse. The guy they got to play the Punisher was spot-on - almost as if he had been lifted from the Punisher MAX series. Extremely good casting here.

Conversely, the 2004 film with Thomas Jane/John Travolta was fairly poor; The Punisher in this film was way too "nice". Never got through the late '80's Dolph Lungren film - the DVD I saw was scratched and messed up halfway through - and, I never made a point of trying to re-watch this.
    Last edited by ROM Spaceknight; 02-24-2016 at 02:34 PM.

I still want a team-up with Blade against vampire gangsters.
    Hopefully the solo Netflix series can get started in the next year or two.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ROM Spaceknight View Post
    Never got through the late '80's Dolph Lungren film - the DVD I saw was scratched and messed up halfway through - and, I never made a point of trying to re-watch this.
    I'd give it a full rewatch. Dolph may not be everything you imagine as Frank, but the gritty film is IMHO the best Punisher adaptation.

I was taken out of P:WZ (2008) by the lame Jigsaw it did, for one.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Lundgren's Punisher almost fit the Bixby-Hulk verse, which is good with obvious flaws. I thought he was physically perfect and his wooden acting wasn't necessarily poorly cast to a certain interpretation of the character. If nothing else, that final action piece totally ruled.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    Lundgren's Punisher almost fit the Bixby-Hulk verse, which is good with obvious flaws. I thought he was physically perfect and his wooden acting wasn't necessarily poorly cast to a certain interpretation of the character. If nothing else, that final action piece totally ruled.
    OK - I'm obviously easily swayed, because you all have convinced me to give the '89 Punisher another chance. I'll check it out, then let everyone know what I think. Big fan of low budget '80's films, so I may like this.

BANNED

i can't believe how quickly i just lost interest in the last punisher series....

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Chrysalis_Changling View Post
    i can't believe how quickly i just lost interest in the last punisher series....
    I rather liked it. It was "different" but it was still enjoyable. But mainly, I really liked the art. It had this sort of urban sci-fi look to it.

Jigsaw (McNulty from The Wire doing his Tommy Lee Jones/Two-Face impression) and Looney Bin Jim ruin the Ray Stevenson movie for me. Stevenson is the only good thing in and about that movie. It doesn't hold a candle to PunisherMAX (I love the Christopher Walken cameo in the Barracuda Mini).

Tom Jane's Punisher despite his portrayal is much more enjoyable as a movie and has better villains. I consider the scene with The Russian a classic.

Dolph Lundgren is in Masters of the Universe, too... I'll leave it at that.

If you take the Punisher out of the comics you don't have a standout character anymore. He's just like LawAbidingCitizen/man on fire/The Equalizer or the Charles Bronson movies that spawned him. Saying that I sincerely hope Frank does well in DD.
    Last edited by batnbreakfast; 02-26-2016 at 12:36 PM.