Page 26 of 56 FirstFirst ... 1622232425262728293036 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Chrysalis_Changling View Post
    something about steve dillon's art rubs me the wrong way.....
    You aren't the only one. It's just not for me either. But he was a part of probably the most iconic Punisher runs, so Marvel keeps going to the proverbial Punisher "well" with him whenever Frank is mentioned. I don'T question Dillon's talents. I can't draw. But I'd prefer art like the current Daredevil series (Garney) or something closer to Rucka's run with Checchetto and Di Giandomenico

Edit--- that isn't enough to keep me from picking up the new series though. not by a long shot.

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    My god is it the very best (IMHO some of Marvel's best modern comics). But you have to read Welcome Back Frank by Ennis (and that tpb's great intro), THEN read the 2004 MAX Ennis. Get the new Punisher Max Complete Collection Vol. 1 (and wait and buy the future volumes). Welcome Back Frank is not in that Vol 1 because Welcome Back was Marvel Knights (not MAX), so you have to buy that trade separately.

Welcome Back Frank is reflected some in DD S2 and it's a watershed moment in Punisher comics, this revitalizing moment. It's different in art style and humor style and such from 2004 Punisher MAX, but it's a necessary prequel IMHO to 2004 Punisher MAX.

In summary, buy:
    Welcome Back, Frank TPB
    Punisher Max Complete Collection Vol. 1
    Punisher Max Complete Collection Vol. 2-whatever (when released in the future)

Not exactly, but doesn't matter in the slightest. Many Punisher fans will say Ennis's material is MORE continuity than 'main continuity' Punisher who wasn't in 'Nam.
    Thanks for this, I was just coming to ask where to start reading after loving Bernthal's take on the Punisher. It was the first time I ever truly cared about the character. I enjoyed the Thomas Jane film and thought War Zone was good B-Movie fun, but DD season 2 was the first time I felt they really made him feel like a real, damaged person.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by robreedwrites View Post
    Thanks for this, I was just coming to ask where to start reading after loving Bernthal's take on the Punisher. It was the first time I ever truly cared about the character. I enjoyed the Thomas Jane film and thought War Zone was good B-Movie fun, but DD season 2 was the first time I felt they really made him feel like a real, damaged person.
    DD S2 Bernthal Punisher is Ennis-like but also somewhat not at the same time. It's really hard to describe Ennis's development of Frank over more than like 100 issues of comics in Marvel Knights & MAX, his characterization, but it's definitely an often (but not always) "less characterization and more serial killing machine" approach to Punisher where Ennis develops the rest of the characters in the story more than Frank. You see a bit less clear emotion from Ennis Punisher, he's very hardened and cold most of the time.

Ennis started on Punisher with the rebellious intent to end the longstanding writer tradition of trying to super sell readers on sympathizing with and liking Frank by playing up little mercies and codes Frank had and giving him many human and social qualities. No more sorta regular guy 70s/80s Batman if he was just a gun toting killer crimefighter. Ennis Punisher is instead not so different from Michael Myers or Jason Voorhees; he's a quite-sure-of-himself relentless brutal quiet man on a war mission.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 03-24-2016 at 10:09 AM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

DD S2 Bernthal Punisher is Ennis-like but also somewhat not at the same time. It's really hard to describe Ennis's development of Frank over more than like 100 issues of comics in Marvel Knights & MAX, his characterization, but it's definitely an often (but not always) "less characterization and more serial killing machine" approach to Punisher where Ennis develops the rest of the characters in the story more than Frank. You see a bit less clear emotion from Ennis Punisher, he's very hardened and cold most of the time.

Ennis started on Punisher with the rebellious intent to end the longstanding writer tradition of trying to super sell readers on sympathizing with and liking Frank by playing up little mercies and codes Frank had and giving him many human and social qualities. No more sorta regular guy 70s/80s Batman if he was just a gun toting killer crimefighter. Ennis Punisher is instead not so different from Michael Myers or Jason Voorhees; he's a quite-sure-of-himself relentless brutal quiet man on a war mission.
    Got you. That also sounds interesting. From what I understand, Stevenson's take on the character drew a lot from the MAX series?

Quote Originally Posted by robreedwrites View Post
    Got you. That also sounds interesting. From what I understand, Stevenson's take on the character drew a lot from the MAX series?
    Probably, but don't know.

Also too, DD S2 Punisher is like origin period Punisher in the emotional aftermath of it all, and if I recall correctly, Ennis doesn't really cover that immediately-post-family-murder origin period for Frank where maybe Ennis might have had Frank maybe cry or beat his fists against the wall or flip out or whatever....Ennis Punisher is well into his killing career, and only the Vietnam pre-family-murder period is covered by Ennis really.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 03-24-2016 at 10:36 AM.

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Probably, but don't know.

Also too, DD S2 Punisher is like origin period Punisher in the emotional aftermath of it all, and if I recall correctly, Ennis doesn't really cover that immediately-post-family-murder origin period for Frank where maybe Ennis might have Frank cry or beat his fists against the wall or whatever....Ennis Punisher is well into his killing career, and only Vietnam pre-family-murder is covered by Ennis really.
    Got you. That actually sounds like something I'd be interested in. Not quite Bernthal's take, but where that character is probably headed in a way. I'm putting in the order on instocktrades next week (trying to maximize my rolling 2% discount. :P )

One other little thing: All 3 Punisher movies/media (not Dolph's of course) take a good bit from Ennis. Jane's is very Welcome Back, Frank (and Punisher Year One, which you should read). Stevenson's is like no particular Ennis story but maybe the characterization. And Bernthal is a good bit of Ennis (spoilers:
    the rooftop DD hostage scene & prison hallway bloodbath scene
    end of spoilers)(except his somewhat early conflicted side).
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 03-24-2016 at 11:51 AM.

Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

I'd lose it if they gave him his own series and adapted Rucka's run. I think it'd be perfect.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post
    You aren't the only one. It's just not for me either. But he was a part of probably the most iconic Punisher runs, so Marvel keeps going to the proverbial Punisher "well" with him whenever Frank is mentioned. I don'T question Dillon's talents. I can't draw. But I'd prefer art like the current Daredevil series (Garney) or something closer to Rucka's run with Checchetto and Di Giandomenico

Edit--- that isn't enough to keep me from picking up the new series though. not by a long shot.
    i prefer the artist on the last punisher run to dillon by far

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

I'd like to see new material from Goran Parlov and Tim Bradstreet (is Hangman any good?).
    Under Ennis I loved the cases Frank worked on, that's where Ennis beat Rucka.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrysalis_Changling View Post
    something about steve dillon's art rubs me the wrong way.....
    Because of the same face? Dillion and Mckelvie's same face art annoys me.

I loved Frank in DD btw. He was my favorite live action Frank
    We need better comics

Reading the Born LS now. I just finished 3/4 and it's really good. I love the art.

Welcome Back, Frank is next on my list.

Mighty Member

Plowing through Aaron's Punisher MAX. Thought the first arc was weak, but everything following is gold.
    I write about the intersection of science, comics and culture. Check it out!

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Just finished the movie Sicario. It should be right up the alley for every Punisher MAX reader. Benicio del Terro would make a great older Punisher (his character is only a little like Frank, though). Emily Blunt would be a great Rachel Cole-Alvez. The best actioncrimethriller in years, maybe since No country for old men (another favourite)