Page 1 of 36 1234511 ... LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default BATMAN ETERNAL Megathread (35-48)

The events of BATMAN ETERNAL have changed the world of Batman for months - jump on here to see the new world order! The third act begins with a bang, as Gotham City's police have done the impossible - they've beaten Batman!

Full article here.

The Best There Is berserkerclaw's Avatar

Glad to see the events are starting to catch up to the "present". Looks good.
    X-Men Forever

BANNED

Art was really nice in this issue.

This issue was so good.

I'm starting to wonder if it's Hurt.
    Blah! Blah! Blah! Blah! Blah!

Generic condescending passive aggressive elitist statement.

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

When will these billionaires learn - never tie all of your personal wealth to a company's. Get an offshore account or two. Stash a few million bucks in there, enough to last you several months of good living. What's a million bucks to a billionaire? Nothing! What's a million bucks to a pauper? Everything. Sheesh.

Astonishing Member

Kind of a shame to see Tim, Jason, Barbara, Steph and Harper all AWOL for what feels like a long stretch in favour of Bruce And Julia. Feels like the whole "Bat Family" thing was this title's USP, and this kind of Bruce-Centric plotline could easily have been in another book.

Having said that, it was still a pretty strong installment - although personally I think they could have done without muddying the timeline in trying to tell this sort of parallel with Arkham Manor.

Quote Originally Posted by Claude View Post
    Kind of a shame to see Tim, Jason, Barbara, Steph and Harper all AWOL for what feels like a long stretch in favour of Bruce And Julia. Feels like the whole "Bat Family" thing was this title's USP, and this kind of Bruce-Centric plotline could easily have been in another book.

Having said that, it was still a pretty strong installment - although personally I think they could have done without muddying the timeline in trying to tell this sort of parallel with Arkham Manor.
    I think Eternal has long had that problem. Many things have not been addressed that should have been, whereas many of the things that were included could have been better done elsewhere. Part of that was poor management, with storylines and plot points being changed much too late, getting lost, or just plain being mishandled. Part of it probably had to do with the fact that the original plan called for the series to be about 15-20% longer than it ended up being. Part of it was honest miscalculation, as it seems like some parts of the book, including the entire supernatural arc, probably read better in the blackboarding stage than they did when actually put down in four colors. And part of it was editorial plans and timelines that are now leading to a move to tie the disparate Bat Books together, and which may have not been thought out properly as all the problems with storylines and themes and neglected and clashing plot points are starting to become more obvious.

Still, given that this was a brave attempt at putting together a Batman weekly more-or-less from scratch, and given that they had massive confusion at the beginning that has never been totally cleared up, they have done reasonably well. Let's hope that the lessons from this round translate into whatever weekly shows up after the move, so some of these problems can be avoided next time.

All-New Member

Yeah, as much as I dislike Harper Row....what happened to that plot point with Red Robin and the nanomachines?
    For a weekly title, there's some serious pacing issues.

Still loving Eternal, and it's been a blast so far and feels like it'll be able to finish on a strong note, but there's definitely some glaring problems with it.

Back to discussing the plot though:
    I'm starting to wonder if Snyder & co. planned on Hush being the big bad in the initial stages, got to writing issues 30 or so and decided to make Bard take the reigns.
    Though with 20 issues left, I'm sure there's still a twist or two. Plus the only thing keeping me from being totally sold on Bard being our final villain is the flash-forward in the first issue. As far as he's come, I still don't think he's going to end up finding out Batman is Bruce Wayne, much less tying him to the Batsignal and monologuing to him.

BANNED

The family is bound to catch up to events, most surely. Creators have mentioned the return of Jason to Gotham and Tim and Barbara are nearby. If there are pacing issues is likely - my opinion alone - duo to many cooks in one kitchen. It`s equally part of the charm in testing this format publication, thought.

All in all they are doing just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by MacD View Post
    Plus the only thing keeping me from being totally sold on Bard being our final villain is the flash-forward in the first issue. As far as he's come, I still don't think he's going to end up finding out Batman is Bruce Wayne, much less tying him to the Batsignal and monologuing to him.
    There's also the fact that if Bard is the Big Bad, he went about it by inviting a number of people with grudges against Batman to go to Gotham and do their worst, and then presumably told Hush to hire him as an underling to execute part of the plan. So he ends up as both the boss and his employee's employee.

Of course, the final villain probably would go to that level of plotting complexity.

Even so, I'm thinking that Bard is probably just a quick post-Hush promotion to main threat before we move on to the final stages. He did tell Vicki that he had just one last thing to do, after all, and blowing the bunker caches and disabling all of the Wayne technology appears to be it. There are still a lot of issues left once Batman survives the current cliffhanger.

I'm wondering if what happened to him in Detroit may play in to what's now happening in Gotham though. The details given have been pretty vague, so there might be more to it than "Vicki Vale discovers Jason Bard has a grudge against superheroes".

Incredible Member

Whatever happened to Bard back in Detroit must have made national headlines to attract the big bad of this story so he could get Bard involved in this elaborate scheme. So why hasn't anyone in Gotham recognized him or had heard his name in the past? People like Bruce. or Gordon befoe his trouble started, or even Vicki? Otherwise I'm loving this book!

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

Isn't that nano-virus still raving the slums?

Pacing issues aside, ( and yes i'm very curious about the whole nano-virus plot, just dropped off the face of the book, last i checked wasn't Tim and Harper in hong kong with one of Bruce's old trainers?)
    But that aside,getting to my main point. I really feel that it is Hurt and The Black Glove that is behind it all. The Court of Owls are suspect also, but just recently sitting down and rereading them all, the clues seem to be all there.
    From the invitations to villians to come particpate in the destruction of Batman, to the supernatural elements of the whole arkham story line (where yes Joker's daughter was talking to the Joker who was in disguise as that doctor) where in early issues in the background of the walls of arkham there were black handprints = black glove?. its big enough to possibly be the court, but seems insider enough to be Hurt.
    The great thing is that we will find out, and should be a very interesting ending.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MacD View Post
    Yeah, as much as I dislike Harper Row....what happened to that plot point with Red Robin and the nanomachines?
    For a weekly title, there's some serious pacing issues.
    preview issue 36
    http://www.newsarama.com/22906-harpe...ternal-36.html

I was missing this plot line too.
    Julia let you father sleep a little lol

BANNED

Is it me, or does the dialogue feel really off?