Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Pretty sure everyone has something different that's cathartic and satisfying to them. So you can't really put an umbrella around it. You Flash and I are different people and that goes for everyone else in creation. So Flash can go right along enjoying seeing Superman give Lex right hook to the jaw, and you can dislike it. No worries.
    Sure, I can agree with that.
    Last edited by misslane; 05-12-2014 at 04:45 PM.

I agree with superlad93 and I thank Pak for that page where he beats up lex even superman is just imagining it.

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksun View Post
    Lana was just bland, I hate when they use a female character to elevate another. and seems like now that he is dating WW he is one level above her and other mortals. oh lol
    also superman beating luthor? WTH superdouche again
    I hate it when they use any character to elevate another that's why I hate lex on the team. This is what I feel about the forever evil event because the villains were just used to make lex a better hero than anyone on the dc universe. I think he dropped the ball on the on this event and the justice league book.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Hell, I'm a pretty laid back guy but if I was locked up in a bunker or tortured to my breaking point by a guy who now is touted as some hero, I'd be hard pressed to let him say anything to me.

I'd most likely just fly away, and I'm sure that's what Superman will do. I'm just saying I wouldn't blame the guy for beating Luthor up a bit.

I think the worst part, for me, would be seeing my allies and the woman I love supporting him. Which is why Johns' story is stupid, but oh well.
    I totally agree with you. They need to get Johns out of the jl book because he hasn't done anything good since the new 52 started but fans tend to think that because he was so successful in green lantern and his JSA run was good people believe everything he puts out is gold. I would have preferred him adding a more strong female characters than a guy who thinks he's above everybody else.

And that's awesome.
    Basically, there are heroes whose passion and need to stand up for themselves overrides their sense of reason and restraint -- action over prudence, and it's up to everyone's own subjective judgment how they feel about that kind of behavior.
    Last edited by misslane; 05-12-2014 at 04:44 PM.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by misslane View Post
    Everything about one likes or dislikes or the choices one makes reveals character and reveals things about a person. Some people prefer Marvel heroes over DC heroes or Captain America over Iron Man. It's just as revealing as the type of vocation one trains for because it speaks to what one finds appealing; something about someone or something resonates with something in you. Your choosing to be a member of a comic book discussion forum reveals something about what you (and I) admire or value (i.e. superheroes, fandom community, discussion). It's not meant as an insult to say cheering on Superman's violent reaction to Lex is revealing. It just is. It reveals that one admires and values heroes whose passion and need to stand up for themselves overrides their sense of reason and restraint -- action over prudence -- it's up once again to everyone's own subjective judgment whether they agree or disagree with that sentiment.
    Sure but that's not really talking about the Preview to Action Comics #31 it's talking about the people posting so I'm all like leave that for another discussion. You didn't like it he did and that's all there is to it.

Quote Originally Posted by MosSuperman View Post
    I agree with superlad93 and I thank Pak for that page where he beats up lex even superman is just imagining it.
    It seems, if I go by your username, that you like Man of Steel. If not, then please disregard what I'm about to say. But recall this scene from the film:

Jonathan Kent: Did they hurt you?
    Clark Kent at 13: You know they can't.
    Jonathan Kent: That's not what I meant. I meant, "are you all right?"
    Clark Kent at 13: I wanted to hit that kid. I wanted to hit him so bad.
    Jonathan Kent: I know you did. I mean, part of me even wanted you to, but then what? Make you feel any better? You just have to decide what kind of a man you want to grow up to be, Clark; because whoever that man is, good character or bad, he's... He's gonna change the world.

Also, recall how Man of Steel handled Pete Ross. Although Pete bullied Clark on the bus, Clark saved his life when the bus crashed into the water. As a result, Pete becomes a friend. Now, I'm not saying Superman could change Lex by choosing not to punch him; however, I do believe it demonstrates a lack of control that should not be associated with Superman.

You didn't like it he did and that's all there is to it.
    Well, not really. I'm uncomfortable with those types of actions being held up for praise. Looking at the story itself, I can't say that Superman is entirely in his right mind. So, I can't say I dislike him doing something based on what I prefer to see an in character Superman doing if, in fact, he is being manipulated by the author to act out of character for reasons beyond his control as Superman.

I merely said that Lex freaking Luthor deserves a good smack down, and I wouldn't hold it against Superman one bit. He's clearly belittling him there, and I think it would be in character or Superman to just laugh at him and take off, but every man has to stand his own ground sometimes. Words only do so much.
    Since when does belittling someone warrant a punch in the face? Every man does have to stand his ground sometimes, and I would have no problem with Superman punching Lex if he was imprisoning him against his will, causing him genuine pain, or endangering Earth/humanity. But teasing is not equally matched with violence.

I never "cheered" on Lex getting KO'd, I simply said I have no problem with it. I like seeing Superman show his ARCH ENEMY who's boss once in a while.
    Unnecessary violence does not show anyone who is the boss. What it shows is that Superman is not the boss of his own temper. It shows that Lex has the power to provoke Superman to violence over petty insults. Sometimes refusing to "punch down" is a better way to demonstrate strength than just punching.
    Last edited by misslane; 05-12-2014 at 04:40 PM.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Well let's be fair, punching someone in the face is a trope of superhero comic books. We're talking about characters that put on tights and go beat up bad guys.

BANNED

clearly superman is not in his right mind, complaining about him punching Luther seems pointless here. and i for one am happy lana was being supportive for her fellow women instead of tearing her down. to actually want the later just because she is supporting a pairing you don't like shows you are more concerned with shipping then female empowerment.

Guess the virus is already taking effect. Granted its impossible for me to feel bad that Lex Luthor gets punched in the face, but Superman wouldn't do that if he were in his right mind. His humanity, and thus his frailty, keeps Luthor safe from these attacks normally. Unfortunately for Lex, Superman's not normal right now. Unfortunately for Superman, you know Lex will milk it for all its worth and then some.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Granted its impossible for me to feel bad that Lex Luthor gets punched in the face, but Superman wouldn't do that if he were in his right mind.
    I feel bad that Lex gets punched in the face because it's not something would do if he were in his right mind. I feel bad for Superman. Generally, however, I feel bad when violence is used unnecessarily.

Well let's be fair, punching someone in the face is a trope of superhero comic books. We're talking about characters that put on tights and go beat up bad guys.
    It's a common trope for heroes to punch bad guys when punching bad guys is the only way to protect people. Punching a bad guy when he's not an imminent threat, is not typical of the trope unless you're dealing with a flawed hero.
    Last edited by misslane; 05-12-2014 at 04:53 PM.

I don't feel bad when murderers get hurt. But I feel bad for Superman too. He's saved the world again and is about to suffer a big personal price in doing so, and Lex is going to twist it so that he's the enemy and Luthor is the savior.

He's Johns' pet project though, so I can't hope for a swift fall from grace.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 05-12-2014 at 05:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I don't feel bad when murderers get hurt.
    I don't feel bad when murders get hurt in the act of murdering or if they get hurt as a result of a criminal justice system punishing them. You do not solve violence with more violence. This is the central metaphorical purpose of Doomsday. He symbolizes the futility of violence. I do not support Superman using violence to punish violence when no physical threat is present because it undermines everything he and the story of Doomsday represents. The greatest heroes of modern times like Martin Luther King, Jr. and Nelson Mandela understood this basic principle.

He's saved the world again and is about to suffer a big personal price in doing so, and Lex is going to twist it so that he's the enemy and Luthor is the savior.
    And Superman just makes Lex's job that much easier by having a hair trigger temper.
    Last edited by misslane; 05-12-2014 at 05:13 PM.

BANNED

Supes shouldn't have punched Lex, that was meatheaded. But Supes isn't exactly functioning at 100% at the moment and it is LEX LUTHOR he's punching, even if he's playing hero for the time being.

Just consider it an ******* Tax, Lex.
    Last edited by Penguin Truth; 05-12-2014 at 05:09 PM.