Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by misslane View Post
    I like his action and layouts, but mostly can't stand his faces.

I hope you're kidding, because Superman beating anyone who he dislikes or considers an enemy for no good reason (i.e. it's not in direct defense of himself or others from imminent threat or harm) is exactly the kind of behavior that would make Lex's typical attitude toward Superman justified. It would be especially odd given previous issues of Superman where Superman expressed regret for attacking Lex within an inch of his life. The best way to handle Lex and to get him off the team is not to beat him up. That's just brutish and stupid.
    No reason? This is the same guy who captured him by derailing a train and killing innocent people, and then tortured him in a government bunker. The same guy who did something with a giant robot or uh something, in that one issue of Diggle's AC that no one read.

I'd say Superman has a right to smack him around for saying "Let's quarantine you", and that's exactly how our new Superman should react. He's a man of action. He would totally smack Lex Luthor and take off. Screw the Justice League, and to hell with diplomacy, Lex Luthor is an evil man. That's my favorite part of the NEW 52 Superman. He doesn't just stand around giving speeches, he does what needs to be done. I respect a man of that fiber.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 05-12-2014 at 01:09 PM.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

I like his action and layouts, but mostly can't stand his faces.

I hope you're kidding, because Superman beating anyone who he dislikes or considers an enemy for no good reason (i.e. it's not in direct defense of himself or others from imminent threat or harm) is exactly the kind of behavior that would make Lex's typical attitude toward Superman justified. It would be especially odd given previous issues of Superman where Superman expressed regret for attacking Lex within an inch of his life. The best way to handle Lex and to get him off the team is not to beat him up. That's just brutish and stupid.
    But he'd be infected by Doomsday so it wouldn't be out of place.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    No reason? This is the same guy who captured him by derailing a train and killing innocent people, and then tortured him in a government bunker. The same guy who did something with a giant robot or uh something, in that one issue of Diggle's AC that no one read.

I'd say Superman has a right to smack him around for saying "Let's quarantine you", and that's exactly how our new Superman should react. He's a man of action. He would totally smack Lex Luthor and take off. Screw the Justice League, and to hell with diplomacy, Lex Luthor is an evil man. That's my favorite part of the NEW 52 Superman. He doesn't just stand around giving speeches, he does what needs to be done. I respect a man of that fiber.
    I don't know Flash that last bit seems a bit out of character for the guy that Morrison and Pak made. Sure he's pissed and yeah I bet he has day dreams about punching Lex so hard he reaches orbit but he wont because Superman doesn't punch down.

Now would he threaten him a little, completely ignore him and fly off, throw him out of the way if the man lays a finger on him? You're got damn right he would! Superman don't play that!! If it comes to Lex getting forceful Superman wont stand for it, but just going nuts on him isn't the New 52 Superman. He's more of a controlled fire. points it where it needs to go.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 05-12-2014 at 01:40 PM.

And do you think punching Lex is going to solve anything or is any form of justice Superman would endorse? No, it isn't. It was Morrison's Clark who endured those pains and insults yet he did not retaliate so brutally. Superman is not, and should never be, and eye for an eye sort of hero. As Jonathan Kent told his son in Pak's Action Comics and other stories, that sort of behavior is "punching down."

I don't. Why? Because punching Lex Luthor is not going to solve anything. It's the kind of brutish response I would expect from a graceless and witless adolescent. Lex Luthor is an evil man. He's also exactly the sort of evil man who can twist violent outbursts like this one into a reason to turn the public and the government against Superman and heroes like him. Do you honestly believe that anything positive will result from Superman punching Lex other than Superman expressing his anger? I don't think it will accomplish anything worthwhile. It's pointless, idiotic, violence. It is beneath Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    But he'd be infected by Doomsday so it wouldn't be out of place.
    It would be out of place no matter what. If it's Superman acting on his own free will, it's out of place. If it's Superman acting under the influence of Doomsday, it's out of place. The point is that the act of punching Lex is out of character, or at least it should be, and any defense of it as something we should be celebrating is abhorrent to me.
    Last edited by misslane; 05-12-2014 at 01:20 PM.

Amazing Member

Hmm. Never actually checked out Action Comics before. This looks interesting. I don't see what was wrong with what Lana said. Deciding to leave Clark to his superpowered buddies doesn't diminish her as a person.

And I am pretty sure that Lex sequence was imagined. Probably intended to be our first sign that something is wrong with Supes even though he beat Doomsday. Which means we should shocked and alarmed by it. But I admit that I guffawed quite hard at seeing it. And I actually like Lex.

And do you think punching Lex is going to solve anything or is any form of justice Superman would endorse? No, it isn't. It was Morrison's Clark who endured those pains and insults yet he did not retaliate so brutally. Superman is not, and should never be, and eye for an eye sort of hero. As Jonathan Kent told his son in Pak's Action Comics and other stories, that sort of behavior is "punching down."

I don't. Why? Because punching Lex Luthor is not going to solve anything. It's the kind of brutish response I would expect from a graceless and witless adolescent. Lex Luthor is an evil man. He's also exactly the sort of evil man who can twist violent outbursts like this one into a reason to turn the public and the government against Superman and heroes like him. Do you honestly believe that anything positive will result from Superman punching Lex other than Superman expressing his anger? I don't think it will accomplish anything worthwhile. It's pointless, idiotic, violence. It is beneath Superman.

It would be out of place no matter what. If it's Superman acting on his own free will, it's out of place. If it's Superman acting under the influence of Doomsday, it's out of place. The point is that the act of punching Lex is out of character, or at least it should be, and any defense of it as something we should be celebrating is abhorrent to me.
    Out of place in the sense that it would make good sense with the story at hand aka the one where he's turning into an actual monster. He's going to be fighting his friends and gf in a few issues so I don't think him beating up Lex of all people is a stretch.

Out of character? Yes, obviously it is. This whole arc is going to be him struggling to keep his character. But in the end I feel like this is just a day dream his Doomsday infused mind is having.

Out of place in the sense that it would make good sense with the story at hand aka the one where he's turning into an actual monster. He's going to be fighting his friends and gf in a few issues so I don't think him beating up Lex of all people is a stretch.
    No, it's not a stretch, which is why I find in confounding that anyone (not you) would see Superman beating up Lex and celebrate it as something he not only should do, but should be praised for doing.

Out of character? Yes, obviously it is. This whole arc is going to be him struggling to keep his character. But in the end I feel like this is just a day dream his Doomsday infused mind is having.
    This whole Doomed arc is filled with characters behaving out-of-character because of external influences. It's tiresome. I don't know about you, but if a new Doomsday story had to be told, I'd prefer Superman to be Superman.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksun View Post
    I prefer Superman act with brains, not fists he could have said "you tortured me, I won't go with you". But no he go all punches on Lex.

the dialogue left little to interpretation, he is bigger now because he dates and hang out with his superfriends. normal humans? always inferior.

Writer need to learn how to write complez women, Lana just seems like a mary sue for the writer say that WW is awesome, and smww is awesome.
    That's not what Mary Sue means.

Quote Originally Posted by SaintRhon View Post
    Hmm. Never actually checked out Action Comics before. This looks interesting. I don't see what was wrong with what Lana said. Deciding to leave Clark to his superpowered buddies doesn't diminish her as a person.

And I am pretty sure that Lex sequence was imagined. Probably intended to be our first sign that something is wrong with Supes even though he beat Doomsday. Which means we should shocked and alarmed by it. But I admit that I guffawed quite hard at seeing it. And I actually like Lex.
    Agreed on all counts! You sir or ma'am have won the internet

But seriously I really do agree with your take on the Lex part. I felt the same way. I'm looking at Lex's sug face as he says just the right stuff to push Superman's buttons and Superman it's getting pissed. Then the abrupt punch to the face then breaking of the arm and to top it off the spear to the ground. I'd be lying if I didn't say I almost cheered hahah. It obviously felt off and strange for Pak's Superman (and Superman as a whole....maybe not golden age) as it should. I didn't condone it but the catharsis factor was there for sure haha

Very likely we'll just cut to a page where Lex (with dat smug look too) is still taking and Superman is mad ass hell.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 05-12-2014 at 01:50 PM.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Hell, I'm a pretty laid back guy but if I was locked up in a bunker or tortured to my breaking point by a guy who now is touted as some hero, I'd be hard pressed to let him say anything to me.

I'd most likely just fly away, and I'm sure that's what Superman will do. I'm just saying I wouldn't blame the guy for beating Luthor up a bit.

I think the worst part, for me, would be seeing my allies and the woman I love supporting him. Which is why Johns' story is stupid, but oh well.

If Lex is pressing Superman's buttons, and he reacts, then that just proves to Lex and to readers that Lex can manipulate and control Superman like a puppet. He can provoke him into anything.

It's even worse if Lex gets brutalized because Superman is displacing his anger about Doomsday and Smallville onto him.

Spadassin Extraordinaire Auguste Dupin's Avatar

Hell, I'm a pretty laid back guy but if I was locked up in a bunker or tortured to my breaking point by a guy who now is touted as some hero, I'd be hard pressed to let him say anything to me.

I'd most likely just fly away, and I'm sure that's what Superman will do. I'm just saying I wouldn't blame the guy for beating Luthor up a bit.

I think the worst part, for me, would be seeing my allies and the woman I love supporting him. Which is why Johns' story is stupid, but oh well.
    Well, on one hand, misslane is right: beating him up would accomplish absolutely nothing.
    On the other, Lex is wearing his power armor, so he can probably take a few punches, even from a pissed Superman, so it's not the crime against mankind some seem to assume it would be.
    Last edited by Auguste Dupin; 05-12-2014 at 02:14 PM.
    Hold those chains, Clark Kent
    Bear the weight on your shoulders
    Stand firm. Take the pain.

No, it's not a stretch, which is why I find in confounding that anyone (not you) would see Superman beating up Lex and celebrate it as something he not only should do, but should be praised for doing.
    As I said to another poster: it's really just the catharsis factor of seeing that awful guy get his for once from the guy he hurt. It's probably the same feeling the bullied kid gets when he sees his bully get beat up. The point is just that short term gratification I think. It's a shallow reason sure and Superman rises above that and knows where to direct his rage but it's still as valid a reason as any.

It was a shock to see him beat Lex up and a bit of a good bad feeling. Like yeah got the bully but now I'm him. Which is pretty much what the arc is about in some ways and not in others.

You don't have to like it though.

This whole Doomed arc is filled with characters behaving out-of-character because of external influences. It's tiresome. I don't know about you, but if a new Doomsday story had to be told, I'd prefer Superman to be Superman.
    Yeah no doubt who doesn't, but I'm always willing to give a good writer a chance. Pak's that good writer so he gets that chance. I wont blame him for what other writers have done before him and done badly. He's given me a great Superman book again. I have faith that he can take two of the most awful concepts in Superman myth (Doomsday and Superman gone "CRAAAAZY") and turn them into something worth a good read.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 05-12-2014 at 02:20 PM.

You don't have to like it though.
    I don't. For me, there's nothing cathartic about seeing a bully getting beat up. What would be cathartic would be seeing that bully delegitimized or redeemed because he recognized his wrongdoing. I hate Lex just as much as Superman for the evil things he did to Superman and the world, but punching him isn't going to make those things go away or stop them from happening again. It's cathartic for me to see Superman prove himself to be better than Lex and other brutes. It is not satisfying to see him so easily provoked and out of control.

Yeah no doubt who doesn't, but I'm always willing to give a good writer a chance. Pak's that good writer so he gets that chance. I wont blame him for what other writers have done before him and done badly. He's given me a great Superman book again. I have faith that he can take two of the most awful concepts in Superman myth (Doomsday and Superman gone "CRAAAAZY") and turn them into something worth a good read.
    I'm sure Pak will do his best, which is better than most. It's difficult to get excited, though, when the core concepts are so disappointing.

I don't. For me, there's nothing cathartic about seeing a bully getting beat up. What would be cathartic would be seeing that bully delegitimized or redeemed because he recognized his wrongdoing. I hate Lex just as much as Superman for the evil things he did to Superman and the world, but punching him isn't going to make those things go away or stop them from happening again. It's cathartic for me to see Superman prove himself to be better than Lex and other brutes. It is not satisfying to see him so easily provoked and out of control.
    Pretty sure everyone has something different that's cathartic and satisfying to them. So you can't really put an umbrella around it. You Flash and I are different people and that goes for everyone else in creation. So Flash can go right along enjoying seeing Superman give Lex right hook to the jaw, and you can dislike it. No worries.

I'm sure Pak will do his best, which is better than most. It's difficult to get excited, though, when the core concepts are so disappointing.
    To each their own. Pak, the Doomsday Virus, Steel, world shattering battle and adventure are enough to at least get me to pick up an issue. If the event's not your thing then it just isn't.