Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default Inhuman #9 *Spoilers*

First of all, I'm not a fan of the AXIS proceedings in this issue. As much as, I want Marvel to make Inhuman feel important, I also want it to be natural. There was nothing about Medusa being in Genosha that was natural to the story proceedings. She was neither Avenger nor mutant, and it's absurd to think that she would go there by herself. It makes me worry that Marvel is going to try to show Medusa as unfit and undeserving of being Queen through these Inversion shenanigans.

That said, this is a solid issue. Stegman's back and Soule thankfully spends the bulk of this issue focusing on Reader, Xiaoyi and the Ennilux corporation.

The issue opens up with Reader and Xiaoyi confronting some bounty hunters. We learn a little about how Xiaoyi's powers work. It's pretty broad and will hopefully be defined in greater detail at a later point. We get a little humor, a little action and we also get to see how Forey sees (and hears) the world for Reader.

Cut to Attilan and the funeral proceedings for Vinatos. Kamala pops up for a visit and to pay her respects. Dante is still in a process of healing. Queen Medusa gets some new threads and a new attitude. Vinatos is unceremoniously dumped in the water much to the surprise of all in attendance.

In Venice, the location of the Ennilux headquarters. Xiaoyi recognizes a symbol on the wall from at of one of their assailants. Reader is more or less a recruiter for the Ennilux corporation, although what it is they do exactly is left unexplained. He leaves Xiaoyi with the Capo, although she wants to be with him.

Back at New Attilan, Gorgon is trying to explain the salvage process of New Attilan to UN inspectors who are trying to ascertain the number of weapons at Attilan's disposal. Medusa interjects to inform them that all of the Inhumans are weapons before evicting them from the city.

At Ennilux, we learn what the Capo is really after, a replacement. Unfortunately, Xiaoyi appears to be highly compatible with the mind transference process. Worse, the Capo sees no reason to maintain her consciousness. Reader is alerted to this and rushes to her aid.

Medusa makes plans for war with mankind. (UGH!)

Again, I enjoyed most of this issue but I'm really not a fan of this Inversion nonsense. It kind of makes it feel seem as if Soule is racing to this war with mankind due to low sales, and it feels like a distraction from not only what this book was marketed as (Inhuman GoT) but the unknown threat that was mentioned a few issues back.

It really is unfortunate that the book is not sitting comfortably enough in sales to not need to rely on event crossovers so early.

To be fair, even if the sales were really stellar .. having the Inhumans involved in a crossover event should elevate sales for readers looking to keep current on all tangential stories pertaining to the event, right?

I don't know if that made sense.

Hmm, sounds like they want to make Inhumans hated like Mutants.

Kamala has no purpose beyond a cameo that essentially says "buy her book", I presume?
    She is Kamala Khan... The Magnificent Ms. Marvel!

Quote Originally Posted by Myetche View Post
    Kamala has no purpose beyond a cameo that essentially says "buy her book", I presume?
    her book is doing quite nicely on its own. this was probably the reverse. "please buy this book, it has miss marvel in it. "

Quote Originally Posted by AcesX1X View Post
    her book is doing quite nicely on its own. this was probably the reverse. "please buy this book, it has miss marvel in it. "
    Awwww its sad because its true.

Niffleheim

About the only thing I didn't like about this issue is Medusa. I wasn't impressed. Everybody else was great.

So glad that Vinatos wasn't forgotten.
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

Ultimate Member

As a defense of the "Medusa being on Genosha" thing, it was stated in a previous issue of this event (I forget which one exactly) that Red Skull was killing both Mutants AND Inhumans in his concentration camp. So the QUEEN of the Inhumans showing up to help stop him isn't hard to buy. AXIS is still godawful, but that element of it actually worked fine.

And the whole "make war on humans" thing feels much more like "we need their to be SOME kind of consequences for this whole inversion nonsense, since editorial dragged our book into this mess of a crossover." It's the same with the X-Men invaded and occupying part of NYC, and NONE of the non-inverted Mutants apparently having a problem with working with freaking Apocalypse.
    Last edited by Punisher007; 12-03-2014 at 12:01 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    As a defense of the "Medusa being on Genosha" thing, it was stated in a previous issue of this event (I forget which one exactly) that Red Skull was killing both Mutants AND Inhumans in his concentration camp. So the QUEEN of the Inhumans showing up to help stop him isn't hard to buy. AXIS is still godawful, but that element of it actually worked fine.

And the whole "make war on humans" thing feels much more like "we need their to be SOME kind of consequences for this whole inversion nonsense, since editorial dragged our book into this mess of a crossover." It's the same with the X-Men invaded and occupying part of NYC, and NONE of the non-inverted Mutants apparently having a problem with working with freaking Apocalypse.
    I stand corrected but that doesn't make it much better since she went alone, with no protection from her guard or the NuHumans.

I'm really not a fan of new books getting caught up in crossovers early in their publishing schedule.

Ultimate Member

I didn't say that her going there alone was smart, just that she has a reason to be there. And surprisingly, I'm not finding her new fetish for black leather all that attractive. AXIS really is that terrible.

Niffleheim

I wish Inhuman wasn't embroiled in this AXIS event. Her speech about inhuman burial was suppose to make me feel something but it didn't.
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

No one's really answered me yet. Kamala's only there for the cameo and nothing else, right?

Niffleheim

Yes it was just a cameo. She was introduced to the NuHumans, Jason picked his Inhuman name now - Flint. Also Kamala mentioned that Vinatos took care of her when she was sick.

Quote Originally Posted by N'Dare View Post
    Yes it was just a cameo. She was introduced to the NuHumans, Jason picked his Inhuman name now - Flint. Also Kamala mentioned that Vinatos took care of her when she was sick.
    Yeah, I saw the preview, and the footnote referenced when it happened in MM#9. From what I'm getting in the preview scene, Kamala never once came back to Attilan since she met Vinatos until he died. Anyway, thank you.

I like to think Kamala pulled Vin's coffin out of the water and tried to give it a proper burial.

Niffleheim

A proper burial would be a Sky-burial but humans don't want them to practice their culture. Already the human culture is chipping away on their Inhumanity.