Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Default New Mutants Volume 3

What's your guys take on this title? Is it one of the better X-Titles of the last decade. If I enjoy the original Claremont New Mutants will I get a lot out of this volume? Are both the Wells and Abnett Lanning runs strong? Which is better?

Thanks

Extraordinary Member

I believe the general consensus is that the first 25 issues were among the best of the last decade, except that too many of them were tie-ins to bigger events. The issues that focused on the ongoing plots specific to the title were great. After the shift in the creative team and the removal of some of the better characters there was a drop in quality. But it still had some standout moments like during Fear Itself. The Wells run had the cast almost exactly the same as the Claremont run, while the later run changed the cast, so if nostalgia's your thing the earlier issues are also a better choice.
    Last edited by sunofdarkchild; 12-03-2014 at 02:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Mortimer View Post
    What's your guys take on this title? Is it one of the better X-Titles of the last decade. If I enjoy the original Claremont New Mutants will I get a lot out of this volume? Are both the Wells and Abnett Lanning runs strong? Which is better?

Thanks
    Well's run is excellent. One of the the best runs of the last decade, IMO. It fell off considerably after he left the title, though.

BANNED

The exact same thing that happened with the 1st volume of New Mutants happened to Volume 3. It was amazing than they switched creative teams and ruined it.

Zeb wells take was amazing and dani was great

Aside from one horri-awful story arc, the 2nd half of the book was pretty decent. It had a far more appropriate crossover at least.
    Game Over man! Game Over!

I'm reading it now for the first time, having just finished Age of X. I'm enjoying it quite a bit.

Praiseworthy Analyst Emerald_616's Avatar

Issues #37 is the single best of the entire run. Enjoy!

It was great until Magik left the title, then it started (and quickly) fall apart. I give them credit for trying to make Doug into a crucial team member.
    http://www.shadowandflamewithmagik.com/

My Blog following the adventures of Kitty Pryde, Lockheed and Magik

The Zeb Wells stuff was really great. The DnA stuff was good, but lacking comparatively. Having Cannonball and Magik leave the book didn't help either. Blink seemed out of character as well.
    I was trying to do too much and not doing any of it as well as I could. But I've had a change of mind... though not everyone shall enjoy it. I will.

#midnightermonday #uglystepchildren #lolgbtcomedyshow

Tumblr: http://newmutantmayhem.tumblr.com/

IG: https://www.instagram.com/ginger_drew/

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JackalsIII View Post
    It was great until Magik left the title, then it started (and quickly) fall apart. I give them credit for trying to make Doug into a crucial team member.
    I would 2nd that.

BANNED

Yes, when the book switches out Karma/Cannonball/Magik for Blink and Nate Grey it turns into crap.

Plus, no Wolfsbane (at all) hurt the overall feel of the title. I kept waiting for at least a downtime issue.
    http://www.shadowandflamewithmagik.com/

My Blog following the adventures of Kitty Pryde, Lockheed and Magik

Quote Originally Posted by JaggedFel View Post
    I would 2nd that.
    And I will "third it"! I love how much focus Illyana received.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Andru View Post
    And I will "third it"! I love how much focus Illyana received.
    Well I like Magik and Hate Doug so u know a really large dropoff in my book if Magik is gone and Doug is in dominating panel time with a BS Powerup.