Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Hulk #9 Spoilers

HULK #9

• DOC GREEN says “Hello, KITTY!” The PRYDE of the X-MEN guest stars.

• Plus – BRUCE BANNER returns! ...But in what shape?

• And – a recently de-powered HULK is placed in mortal danger.

BANNED

I gotta agree with Duggan: every new issues has been better than the previous one!
    Doc Green is one scary dude!

Sh*t just got real...

Well, don't hold back...spoil us. The preview dream sequence has me nervous for where things are going.

I know Duggan said on twitter he'll be posting in the thread later so I have a question. Will we be seeing more of Kitty soon, since this issue hinted at her having potential powers she doesn't know of? It sounded a bit like a set-up story

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by teddyeatsyourface View Post
    I know Duggan said on twitter he'll be posting in the thread later so I have a question. Will we be seeing more of Kitty soon, since this issue hinted at her having potential powers she doesn't know of? It sounded a bit like a set-up story
    I thought that bit about Kitty was interesting too!

And, yeah, Mr. Duggan will be posting here soon!

BANNED

Let's see. Where do I begin? There was just so many things that I enjoyed about this particular issue of the Hulk. In fact, it's one of the most memorable and interesting issues since the days of Greg Pak & Peter David.

It begins when Doc Green goes to visit Kitty Pryde of the X-Men, seeking a favor from her. Doc Green's entrance into their lair, one inspired by a scene from a certain Stephen King film, is not only awesome... but freaking scary. And it's quite apparent that Kitty & Magik would agree with me.

I enjoyed Magik's remark about transporting Hulk into the sun, which isn't a good idea at all. Too bad McCoy wasn't there to explain to her that it'd only result in ticking Hulk/Doc Green off more, plus it'd allow him the chance to absorb the radiation within the star and increase his already limitless might.

Back to the point, Doc Green has Kitty do some brain surgery on him. She succeeds in removing/phasing something from Doc Green's brain, a tumor or possibly something else that may or may not have been caused by the initial injection of the Extremis virus into Banner's brain. However, Doc Green's brain still goes through a extremely violent hemorrhage (it could be argued that a vast section of his brain ruptured/explodes, causing him to collapse before recovering) after its removal.

I did like Doc Green's remark about Tony Stark, one that I agree with 100% as I detest Stark immensely.

We do get the return of Bruce Banner. But he's in for quite a few surprises, as Doc Green outwits him at every turn. There's some great scenes that transpire here between Banner & a holographic AI of Doc Green. Then, it gets really serious.

I'm mean deadly serious. Doc Green gives Banner an ultimatum. Turn back into Doc Green... or Betty Ross dies!

Yes, this isn't a joke at all. Doc Green has secretly implanted bombs in Betty's domicile. And being that she's been cured of being Red She-Hulk... well, you get the idea. It really gives you an idea of how far Doc Green will go to ensure that he remains in control. I guess payback is a bastard instead of a bitch in this case.

To be fair, though, Betty did allow the order to have Bruce/Hulk killed. And she has betrayed his/their trust in the past more than once. So... yeah. There is that point. Nonetheless, I really enjoyed the whole scene. Reminds me of a bit of dialogue Maestro uttered in PAD's Incredible Hulk novel "What Savage Beasts". If you don't know what I mean, check it out. Solid book. Every major fan of PAD's Hulk run should have a copy of it.

Okay, back to the point of discussion.

Banner has no choice but to give in to Doc Green's demands and transforms back into Doc Green, who continues to sleep. It is then that Doc Green has a rather interesting and awesome dream/vision, one where he is truly free. Where he is the Strongest, Angriest, Smartest, Dangerous One There is.

He who is destined to slaughter the entire Marvel Universe.

He who is destined to make the Marvel Universe his own personal trophy.

He is the Maestro!!!!

Awakening from his sleep, one would expect that Doc Green would be horrified of such a dream/vision. One would expect him to try the predictable and uninteresting route of trying to avoid this potential future. But guess what?

I can thankfully, delightfully say that I/we are wrong! And I quote:

"I think I'll grow a beard."

I cannot tell you how much I loved this issue, particularly that last part. It really brought a smile to my face. If I could, I'd give Gerry Duggan & Mark Bagley a strong hug, a firm handshake, and I'd probably buy them a couple of beers & a big steak.

This entire issue was incredible. The pace, the dialogue, the direction, and let's not forget Bagley's awesome art. That page involving 616-Maestro was truly awe-inspiring and awesome! The team on this book deserves a lot of praise and credit.

And in closing, all I can say is that it's gonna be hard to top this issue.

However, I'm hoping that Mr. Duggan will grant us fans the biggest favor of all and finally kill Red Hulk/Rulk/General Ross.

Nothing would make me happier than to see Doc Green snap, go completely Maestro on Rulk, and deliver a brutal Coup de grâce to that sickening crimson abomination that is Red Hulk.

Okay, that's pretty much all I have to say. At least for now.

SMASH!!!!

I do have one inquiry:

Will we learn what happened to Dr. Leucenstern after Doc Green confronted her about being the one who shot Banner?
    Last edited by GreenScar1990; 12-03-2014 at 05:54 PM.

BANNED

That's what I call a review!

All I can say is WOW!!!! I haven't enjoyed reading the HULK like this in years. Mr Duggan you keep getting better and better with every issue. My question for you if you do get on here and post is that we know that Banner is a threat to Doc Green but are the other Hulk persona's a threat or do they even exist anymore? I would love for a writer to address the Savage Hulk, Grey Hulk, and etc. From my understanding this Hulk is the Savage Hulk as smart as Bruce Banner now. If that is the case then where are the other Hulks in all of this. Anyways just like someone posted earlier I really hope you don't let us down with the Red Hulk. Keep up the great writing and thanks for all the work that you do.
    Last edited by DocGreen; 12-03-2014 at 06:04 PM. Reason: spelling

All-New Member

The Maestro dream was pretty awesome. Doc Green ain't messing around, but I can't wait to see Rulk smashed out of continuity though.

BANNED

According to Mr. Duggan, the next 7 issues are bananas! I believe Doc we'll get way scarier!

.... great. more supervillain Hulk. Booo..

BANNED

WAIT a mintue, but spoilers:
    didn't a thing like this occured in PAD Hulk run back in the day ?
    end of spoilers

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

I was going to review this issue but after reading it... it honestly left me very indifferent (so I did an reaction shots post instead). This is pretty much the only Hulk book I have read besides Parker's Red Hulk book so all of the references to past or other parts of Hulk lore went completely over my head and meant nothing to me. The issue had a great villain moment from Doc Green, but otherwise, this issue was just kind of forgettable. It feels like the story is killing time until something big happens...
    Last edited by InformationGeek; 12-03-2014 at 07:39 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DocGreen View Post
    My question for you if you do get on here and post is that we know that Banner is a threat to Doc Green but are the other Hulk persona's a threat or do they even exist anymore? I would love for a writer to address the Savage Hulk, Grey Hulk, and etc. From my understanding this Hulk is the Savage Hulk as smart as Bruce Banner now. If that is the case then where are the other Hulks in all of this.
    That's another inquiry I'm wondering about. Hopefully Mr. Duggan will answer our questions soon, whether it be on here or in future issues. Perhaps Doc Green made a pact with the other personas?