Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Auguste Dupin View Post
    You should see the moment where Jimmy becomes super angry, turns into Ultra Giant Turtle Boy, and kick his ass.
    Guess I know what I'm picking up on Wednesday

Looking forward to reading the three Doom vs Superman related titles this week.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Maybe in a vague sense I think. But it's got more than a few defining characteristics such as the virus idea, him evolving not just to evolve but to better kill all life around him and as I stated above the idea of Doomsday possibly being more than just one being.
    Um, Davis Bloome was specifically designed to evolve to better kill life around him.

Faora: You don't know who you are. You experience blackouts? Hours of your life mysteriously lost? Your body's still evolving.
    Davis: Okay, um... How do you know that?
    Faora: Before we were phantoms, Zod and I were unable to have children. So we created you.
    Davis: You, uh, created me...
    Faora: You arrived here as genetic matter, containing our planet's most powerful life-forms... so that, in time, you would evolve to become Earth's ultimate destroyer.
    Davis: I drive an ambulance.
    Faora: The duty of a child is to continue the legacy his parents began. Our family is meant to take this planet as our own. And after seeing you with these humans, I realize that you are still too weak to fulfill your destiny.
    *Faora stabs Davis*
    Faora: Trust me, my son. That which kills you makes you stronger.

I agree that New 52 Doomsday seems to be able to splice DNA or evolve in a wider range of ways, but that's irrelevant to the specific way that his transformative power is being used with Superman. In other words, we're reading a story about a Kryptonian, like Davis, who is slowly evolving into Doomsday.

Smallville's was pretty much just a rip off of the Hulk
    He transformed into Doomsday when he felt threatened, yes, but he also evolved in response to physical trauma. So, no, Smallville's was more than The Hulk, and the differences between Davis Bloome's Doomsday and The Hulk are what Doomed parallels. When Superman's taking Davis Bloome's place as the evolving Doomsday monster is combined with Lois taking Chloe Sullivan's place as the evolving Brainiac villain, the similarities are too obvious and numerous to not be eye roll inducing.

Quote Originally Posted by misslane View Post
    Um, Davis Bloome was specifically designed to evolve to better kill life around him.

Faora: You don't know who you are. You experience blackouts? Hours of your life mysteriously lost? Your body's still evolving.
    Davis: Okay, um... How do you know that?
    Faora: Before we were phantoms, Zod and I were unable to have children. So we created you.
    Davis: You, uh, created me...
    Faora: You arrived here as genetic matter, containing our planet's most powerful life-forms... so that, in time, you would evolve to become Earth's ultimate destroyer.
    Davis: I drive an ambulance.
    Faora: The duty of a child is to continue the legacy his parents began. Our family is meant to take this planet as our own. And after seeing you with these humans, I realize that you are still too weak to fulfill your destiny.
    *Faora stabs Davis*
    Faora: Trust me, my son. That which kills you makes you stronger.

I agree that New 52 Doomsday seems to be able to splice DNA or evolve in a wider range of ways, but that's irrelevant to the specific way that his transformative power is being used with Superman. In other words, we're reading a story about a Kryptonian, like Davis, who is slowly evolving into Doomsday.
    Forgot about that bit or didn't care to pay attention. Regardless it seems to be presented differently. Also I think it's very relevant because he seems to be a virus more than one creature. That's a very new take in itself. The idea of Davis was essentially taken from the comics Doomsday as he started out as an alien baby who was turned into the one and only Doomsday with out his consent by his "father" so Smallville hardly started that idea.

He transformed into Doomsday when he felt threatened, yes, but he also evolved in response to physical trauma. So, no, Smallville's was more than The Hulk, and the differences between Davis Bloome's Doomsday and The Hulk are what Doomed parallels. When Superman's taking Davis Bloome's place as the evolving Doomsday monster is combined with Lois taking Chloe Sullivan's place as the evolving Brainiac villain, the similarities are too obvious and numerous to not be eye roll inducing.
    Mild mannered unassuming man turns into hulking monster and it ruins his life. That sounds like the Hulk to me. Also just to be clear one of the Hulks powers is to evolve due to trauma or need (mainly Ultimate Hulk who came well before Davis). Or I could just bring up the whole "the mader he gets the stronger he gets" to parallel it. They really just made a grey spiky Hulk in Smallville. The big catch with the idea of this whole turning into Doomsday (aside from the virus and multiple beings implications) is that it's Superman the main character being turned into the monster. That sets everything on it's ear already. You're already getting the possibility of new story based on the idea that the character that we have been seeing the world though is now the monster.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 05-12-2014 at 01:36 PM.

Forgot about that bit or didn't care to pay attention. Regardless it seems to be presented differently. Also I think it's very relevant because he seems to be a virus more than one creature. That's a very new take in itself. The idea of Davis was essentially taken from the comics Doomsday as he started out as an alien baby who was turned into the one and only Doomsday with out his consent by his "father" so Smallville hardly started that idea.
    Smallville specifically played out the idea of a Kryptonian with a heroic occuptation (paramedic) slowly becoming a monster. It was the idea of Doomsday using human camouflage during his incubation in order to get closer to his prey. Smallville told the story of a sentient being on Earth struggling with the monster he was becoming alongside a story about one of Clark's human friends becoming a slave to Brainiac.

Mild mannered unassuming man turns into hulking monster and it ruins his life. That sounds like the Hulk to me. Also just to be clear one of the Hulks powers is to evolve due to trauma or need (mainly Ultimate Hulk who can well before Davis). Or I could just bring up the whole "the mader he gets the stronger he gets" parallel it. They really just made a grey spiky Hulk in Smallville. The big catch with the idea of this whole turning into Doomsday (aside from the virus and multiple beings implications) is that it's Superman the main character being turned into the monster. That sets everything on it's ear already. You're already getting the possibility of new story based on the idea that the character that we have been seeing the world though is now the monster.
    I have not argued that the story is a 1:1 ripoff. But the similarities that do exist are too blatant to ignore. In other words, this Doomed event is neither as new or fresh as it is being marketed.

Smallville specifically played out the idea of a Kryptonian with a heroic occuptation (paramedic) slowly becoming a monster. It was the idea of Doomsday using human camouflage during his incubation in order to get closer to his prey. Smallville told the story of a sentient being on Earth struggling with the monster he was becoming alongside a story about one of Clark's human friends becoming a slave to Brainiac.
    If you'd like to see parallels in that way that's cool with me.The differences over shadow them for me. Also again Smallville isn't the first time Brainiac has taken over Superman's friends. Hell it's not even the first times he's done it while using Doomsday along with it. That happened in the early 2000's I believe

I have not argued that the story is a 1:1 ripoff. But the similarities that do exist are too blatant to ignore. In other words, this Doomed event is neither as new or fresh as it is being marketed.
    You haven't read it yet so you can't really say how new or fresh it is. The same concept (this case it's a new concept with the virus Doomsday) can be used yet still be seen as a fresh take. Grant Morrison has shown this time and again in his works (All Star Superman being a BIG showing of this) so you can't really judge off that.

You're welcome to think what you like and maybe even end up not buying the comic. That's cool. But could it be that your first experience with Superman being Smallville that those are the most prevalent so you'll actively look for more similarities with the show when you read or watch other Superman stuff? If you see the similarities (not saying there aren't any) then that's fine but I don't think it's nearly as similar.

If you'd like to see parallels in that way that's cool with me.The differences over shadow them for me. Also again Smallville isn't the first time Brainiac has taken over Superman's friends. Hell it's not even the first times he's done it while using Doomsday along with it. That happened in the early 2000's I believe.
    I don't want to see any parallels. I was promised something original, but all I'm seeing is lots of derivative storytelling so far.

I don't want to see any parallels. I was promised something original, but all I'm seeing is lots of derivative storytelling so far.
    That's fine to see that.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    Just think one more issue until he is gone.

hahahahahahahahahahahhahaha!!

Really not sure at all what to expect from this. This feels like one of those stories that could be either really good or really bad. It's too early to say which way it will go at this point. I'm trying to be an optimist because Greg Pak and Charles Soule have proven to be pretty consistent in their work on these books. It hasn't always been spectacular, but it has never been really bad. But in my experience, a major event is really easy to screw up. Sometimes it just doesn't come together and it takes the characters in too many different directions. I'm still going to give it a chance, but I'm going to at least partially brace myself.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

Heroes are forged best out of fire. I don't care too much what they put heroes through other than how they do it and hope we get to see a well executed story. They killed him the last time. You can't top that really in the sense it is the ultimate prince he pays but death is no longer the same in comics and they can't repeat the same story. They got to make this the toughest battle and seems like it won't be physical either. Test his will, his principles, his compassion, his patience, his love, who he is and what he means to the world etc. It feels like the writing team is clearly going for more real world themes with consequences to the character and I think that's cool because it does add a grounding element rather than ooh big monster, beat it up and everyone cheers. Hope its good. I mean Pak, Soule and Lobdell sat together and brainstormed. I think we'll get some cool and new stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post

Haha ahahaha. That was so perfect. Nice!

Is it bad that I keep thinking of Doomed as a being like Star Trek Voyager plot? Specifically the one from Threshold where Tom Paris turns into a weird creature after going beyond Warp 10?