Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Angela: Asgard's Assassin #1 *Spoilers*

It was not bad, but I expected better.
    The thing is, Angela is not very likeable in that first issue.
    Not because she is on the villain side of the spectrum, but because she appears as a bland badass warrior. But it's only the first issue yet, so there is hope she gets more interesting.
    Oh, one question:
    spoilers:
    The warriors, she killed, were they real monsters, or were they asgardians warriors seen as monsters through her eyes?
    end of spoilers

The art was good. I liked Hans part better than Jimenez's, but Jimenez's fights scenes were well done.

Quote Originally Posted by mugiwara View Post
    It was not bad, but I expected better.
    The thing is, Angela is not very likeable in that first issue.
    Not because she is on the villain side of the spectrum, but because she appears as a bland badass warrior. But it's only the first issue yet, so there is hope she gets more interesting.
    Oh, one question:
    spoilers:
    The warriors, she killed, were they real monsters, or were they asgardians warriors seen as monsters through her eyes?
    end of spoilers

The art was good. I liked Hans part better than Jimenez's, but Jimenez's fights scenes were well done.
    So…Angela has kidnapped a baby she the villain .. It seems the Asgardians will be chasing Angela around the galaxy for the next few instalments. We’ve also been promised Loki in issue #3

I really enjoyed this. I really wasn't sure about it. To be honest, I thought Angela's profile fell to the wayside after Infinity. Original Sin finally explored her in depth. I know it didn't go over well with some fans, but I really like the idea of her being Thor's long lost sister. And this issue helped establish Angela as a character who can stand on her own. It continues what has become a pretty impressive streak for Marvel when it comes to solo titles with female leads. Angela here established herself as someone different from Captain Marvel, Ms. Marvel, Storm, and Black Widow. She's her own person with her own method of doing things. And this issue, despite dragging at times, really made that method entertaining. I won't say she's quite on the level of Captain Marvel or Storm or Black Widow. I think she's got a long ways to go. But this issue definitely set her on the right path. I did a full review of this issue on my blog. And if it's okay with the mods, here's a link:

Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

Quote Originally Posted by MarvelMaster616 View Post
    I really enjoyed this. I really wasn't sure about it. To be honest, I thought Angela's profile fell to the wayside after Infinity. Original Sin finally explored her in depth. I know it didn't go over well with some fans, but I really like the idea of her being Thor's long lost sister. And this issue helped establish Angela as a character who can stand on her own. It continues what has become a pretty impressive streak for Marvel when it comes to solo titles with female leads. Angela here established herself as someone different from Captain Marvel, Ms. Marvel, Storm, and Black Widow. She's her own person with her own method of doing things. And this issue, despite dragging at times, really made that method entertaining. I won't say she's quite on the level of Captain Marvel or Storm or Black Widow. I think she's got a long ways to go. But this issue definitely set her on the right path. I did a full review of this issue on my blog. And if it's okay with the mods, here's a link:

SHE IS A BABY THIEF! and she is an idiot.the poor child.She stole/a kid from the mother.

Quote Originally Posted by the winter soldier View Post
    SHE IS A BABY THIEF! and she is an idiot.the poor child.She stole/a kid from the mother.
    That's not even the worst thing she did in that story.
    But I don't care if she is a villain, as long as she is an entertaining character. Which she is not enough right now, but I'll give her time.

I thought it was an interesting approach to a first issue. Risky in a variety of ways and the voice of Angela needs some smoothing over. The art team however did a fantastic job.

And yes, while she did take a child, I suspect the truth is a lot more complicated and the first arc will sort this out.

Really liked this issue. A debt is a debt. It's that simple guys
    "This is me being reasonable"

Quote Originally Posted by Galerion View Post
    Really liked this issue. A debt is a debt. It's that simple guys
    Glad you liked it as well. I can see you like X-23. Is her 2010-ish main series worth getting? I am currently reading all the x-men comics from 1963-onwards and was wondering if it was good. I liked her in I think it was New X-men with Surge and Hellion and the gang.

Fantastic Member Alpha to Omega's Avatar

The flashback in the book doesn't make sense, how was Angela out running around space rescuing babies and a fellow angel when she and the rest of Heven (such a dumb name) had been sealed away by Odin and the seal wasn't broken until Original Sin?

And that "letters" page at the end was painfully unfunny and cloying.

Quote Originally Posted by Harley Quinn View Post
    Glad you liked it as well. I can see you like X-23. Is her 2010-ish main series worth getting? I am currently reading all the x-men comics from 1963-onwards and was wondering if it was good. I liked her in I think it was New X-men with Surge and Hellion and the gang.
    Have you already read Innocence Lost and Target X?
    I recommend them to anyone who wants to know more about her since those establish why she is the way she is basically.

Anyway yes her solo book is definitely worth reading. It's a drastic shift from X-Force though which came before(a great read too by the way) since the focus is on her emotional state and her wanting to find herself and a place for her in the world. Her deadly assassin skills are just secondary in that run.
    "This is me being reasonable"

Quote Originally Posted by Galerion View Post
    Have you already read Innocence Lost and Target X?
    I recommend them to anyone who wants to know more about her since those establish why she is the way she is basically.

Anyway yes her solo book is definitely worth reading. It's a drastic shift from X-Force though which came before(a great read too by the way) since the focus is on her emotional state and her wanting to find herself and a place for her in the world. Her deadly assassin skills are just secondary in that run.
    Thank you for the suggestions. I really do want to know more about her character so I will definitely track them down. Thank you

To make this post somewhat on topic, I really can't wait to see where Gillen takes this story. I bet the Asgardians are going to have a fight on their hands if they try to take her.

I actually did get a little chuckle out of the letter page about the feelpocalypse of JIM. I can't wait for some of that to be touched on in the book. I am really digging the Asgardian books right now.

BANNED

I liked the first issue, it dissapointed me but it isn't a bad thing. Angela still a long road to walk to develop.

It's a very different character, interesting what Kieron said on the chat: what she fears most is her heart.

I didn't thought thor and company would be in the first issue already. a baby that is heir to asgard, son of who I wonder

This is perhaps the least Gillen thing Gillen's ever written. Very light on humour. But we'll see how the series goes.

The Bennett/Hans segment was great. Stephanie Hans is amazing. So, so good.

The art was gorgeous

The problem with the story is a mistake that many writers seem to make. They take a point of view character (in this instance Sera who is said to be an angel but has no wings strangely enough) and have that person narrate and introduce the plot and main character to the reader admist the action. This doesnt always work cause you need to be able to relate or at least understand the main character from her point of view. Her thoughts. But instead we get a story told by an observer. (Reminds me of Dragonball Z)

It will probably be better read as a whole but as a single issue it left a bit to be desired. That said, I enjoyed the issue enough to continue with it.
    "Dear World: the nation of mutantkind is watching you. Do not #$%& with us." -Cable-

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha to Omega View Post
    The flashback in the book doesn't make sense, how was Angela out running around space rescuing babies and a fellow angel when she and the rest of Heven (such a dumb name) had been sealed away by Odin and the seal wasn't broken until Original Sin?

And that "letters" page at the end was painfully unfunny and cloying.
    i was wondering about that too. unless there are other galaxies in The Tenth Realm she comes from?