Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

That's sad, we should all be thankful we have our health, lots of people take it for granted until it's gone

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by RobinFan4880 View Post
    Most was an exaggeration. I guess some places I traffic did not like it. So the vocal minority does not like it. Critics too, sadly. From Wikipedia: "The Dark Knight Strikes Again received mixed to negative reviews. Grovel.org.uk gave The Dark Knight Strikes Again two stars out of five, and said that it "reads as a thunderous artillery barrage, all smoke and noise, lacking in nuance".[3] Claude Lalumière of The Montreal Gazette gave the series a mixed review and said, "the script lacks the emotional nuances of its predecessor, and ... the artwork is rushed and garish", and that it "has considerable chutzpah, but its careless execution is regrettable".[4] Roger Sabin of The Guardian wrote that the series has "flashes of brilliance—few can control page layouts like Miller—but in general the idea of the ironic superhero seems rather dated."[5]"
    Ah, I get it.

DKR got it`s critics, but it was universally accepted because it was immensily fresh and daring. The sequel was competing against the hype and boom period that the predecessor set for. But here I praise Miller for one simple reason: he didn`t try to replicate DKR in it`s interity. He set another future tale but with modern concepts (the world Media being the biggest "shoot" of all, but Miller also shoots at the comic industry, himself, real world terrorismo, etc ) in a way just like the original was for the 80`s. At the same time they don`t feel that apart. Certainly touches, subtle or not, of visual excellence. In doing so Miller kept the story going forward. Batman here has a different role. If he looked like he wanted to bring the world down in the first story, here his role is more explicit: he`s the Order to this world`s Chaos.

I recall the first issue coming off well received and with big sales. I`m thiking that the delays between the 2nd and 3rd book hurt it`s mommentum and the new Joker reveal didn`t won favors among the comic fans or even casuals. I didn`t particularly love it, but it`s a bit of a guilty pleasure, I admit.
    Last edited by Aioros22; 12-06-2014 at 05:32 AM.

Incredible Member

This is still unconfirmed, right?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    I don't know what he has, but it looks bad.

And he's only 57.
    this is very sad. .I hope he get to do tdk 3 with some help

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    Comics is just strip mining old and tired characters in the main books anyway. what's the difference?
    The difference is, to me, money. I used to spend a lot more on books, but once the strip-mining became so overwhelming I stopped. I want new things.

Quote Originally Posted by RobinFan4880 View Post
    Welcome to the era of nostalgia.
    Been going on for a while. It's boring. We live in the damned future, tell me something NEW!

Quote Originally Posted by Aioros22 View Post
    As a piece of comic medium, Dark Knight Strikes Again is absolutely fun and pretty fantastic.
    It was poorly told and clunky. A few of my local retailers said that was due to Miller being rushed by DC, but it was a pretty widely-held opinion (IRL and online) at the time. That Miller meant it to put the fun back didn't help the story. Moore did a much better job of that with Supreme.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Miller View Post
    WHere are you in the 50 other Bat threads?
    Some of us respond when we're interested, and don't when we're not. Didn't realize we had to have fanboy creds to post.

All-New Member

It's too bad that Miller looks so ill. I would rather not have more DK than have Miller pass the reigns to Snyder though. Snyder is good in his own right, but Miller is Miller.

Extraordinary Member

Since when?

As a piece of comic medium, Dark Knight Strikes Again is absolutely fun and pretty fantastic. I can see why some parts would rub some fans off, but that was true in the original work in the first place.
    I wouldn't go so far to say that it was good, but DKSA was hella fun. Readers just need to put their fanboy preconceptions aside and enjoy it for the story that it is.

BANNED

Regardless of DKSA, or even ASBAR, Miller's work is one of comics' highlights. It is sad to see him in this situation, and I hope the industry does its part to celebrate his life while he's around. I'm sure he's got the money for treatment (as in doesn't need a drive for expenses) and probably doesn't want his health in the spotlight, but there's a lot of love out there for him, as there should be.

All-New Member

Wired did a profile of Miller for the release of A Dame to Kill For and mentioned his current appearance (as well as rumors from a couple of years ago that he was suffering from "health and dependency issues"). Miller wouldn't comment on it. The accompanying photos are deliberately unflattering, but still sad to look at considering his actual age.

Frank Miller said he is reluctant to discuss personal issues to the public and hasn't ever publicly said that he has cancer and is going though chemotherapy, but it seems painful obvious at this point with the loss of all his hair, and the starling frailty, needing canes and a wheelchair. It seems Frank Miller has been struggling with physical health issues likely from some form of cancer recurrences for some time, while trying to keep it private. Back in 2007 Frank Miller explained on moebiusgraphics.com, "I'm grateful for the concern expressed about my health. I did, in fact, suffer a very rough patch last year and looked it. Happily, that crisis is long past, and I'm enjoying that wonderful period where friends welcome me with a 'you look great!'. Also, I'd like to clear one thing up. I'm not a Ditko-style hermit. My Green Mountain background just makes me quite reluctant to discuss personal issues in any public forum. That hardly stops me from having a big mouth, as many of you know." But the eventual effects of chemotherapy is impossible to keep from being noticed by the public. Christopher Hitchens and Patrick Swayze famously had cancer and were eventually on chemotherapy and also eventually looked like Frank Miller does now, hairless, gaunt, starling weight loss, elderly looking. Christopher Hitchens died of cancer at 62, and Patrick Swayze died of cancer at 57, the same age Frank Miller is now. Startling and heartbreaking to see.
    Christopher Hitchens and Patrick Swayze on chemotherapy:
    PicMonkey Collagehghjhjj.jpg
    Last edited by Steven Ely; 12-09-2014 at 02:32 AM.
    Jerry Siegel/Joe Shuster, Bill Finger/Bob Kane/Gardner Fox/Sheldon Moldoff/Jerry Robinson, William Moulton Marston under the pen name Charles Moulton/Harry Peter. Creators of the most enduring iconic archetypes of the comic book superhero genre. The creators early Golden Age versions should be preserved. The early Golden Age mythology by the creators are as close to the proper, correct authentic versions as there is.

God bless you Frank Miller! You've brought joy for many years and I pray you do for many more! I'm all for a Snyder Miller team up. After... let's see... 30 years of comic book collecting shenanigans, I just want to be entertained. I don't take it all too seriously. Anyone with longevity in the hobby realizes there is really no status quo. It all, changes reverts and changes again. I just want an escape from all of the stresses this world brings. If somebody stinks it up more power to them. I'll be here for the next guy and thanks for taking a shot at it! We should be thankful for the escape and realize these ladies and fellas writing and drawing are human beings who are giving us a much needed escape. If you don't dig it, chances are somebody else does so be cool! Throw your $4 at another title for a few months and realize we are lucky to be part of this family of great thinkers, drawers and readers!

Amazing Member

Ah, I get it.

DKR got it`s critics, but it was universally accepted because it was immensily fresh and daring. The sequel was competing against the hype and boom period that the predecessor set for. But here I praise Miller for one simple reason: he didn`t try to replicate DKR in it`s interity. He set another future tale but with modern concepts (the world Media being the biggest "shoot" of all, but Miller also shoots at the comic industry, himself, real world terrorismo, etc ) in a way just like the original was for the 80`s. At the same time they don`t feel that apart. Certainly touches, subtle or not, of visual excellence. In doing so Miller kept the story going forward. Batman here has a different role. If he looked like he wanted to bring the world down in the first story, here his role is more explicit: he`s the Order to this world`s Chaos.

I recall the first issue coming off well received and with big sales. I`m thiking that the delays between the 2nd and 3rd book hurt it`s mommentum and the new Joker reveal didn`t won favors among the comic fans or even casuals. I didn`t particularly love it, but it`s a bit of a guilty pleasure, I admit.
    I think for many readers Miller's work ended in 1987 and it was a huge shock to them. I'd followed and enjoyed Sin City and 300 so i never expected DKSA to have the same tone and execution as DKR. It seemed perfectly logical progression of Frank's work to that point. It was the color that was the big shocker. Not being prejudiced by his earlier work I really embraced this book and the general direction of his work since. I really think had Lynn varley painted this book in a style on par with 300 it would have gotten a very different response. The story in DKSA was on par with FM's 300 which garnered a very positive critical reception.
    Last edited by prismablue; 12-11-2014 at 12:37 PM.

Astonishing Member AlexanderLuthor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Comicazzi View Post
    God bless you Frank Miller! You've brought joy for many years and I pray you do for many more! I'm all for a Snyder Miller team up. After... let's see... 30 years of comic book collecting shenanigans, I just want to be entertained. I don't take it all too seriously. Anyone with longevity in the hobby realizes there is really no status quo. It all, changes reverts and changes again. I just want an escape from all of the stresses this world brings. If somebody stinks it up more power to them. I'll be here for the next guy and thanks for taking a shot at it! We should be thankful for the escape and realize these ladies and fellas writing and drawing are human beings who are giving us a much needed escape. If you don't dig it, chances are somebody else does so be cool! Throw your $4 at another title for a few months and realize we are lucky to be part of this family of great thinkers, drawers and readers!
    Really well said. Obviously one of the great talents the medium has ever produced. I remember reading TDKR as a kid and being blown away enough that here I sit typing on a comics board 30 years later. They say in sports that if they have to change the rules for you then you are one of the greatest of all-time - Miller changed this industry like few have before or after

This is the latest picture of Frank Miller that's been posted online. The photo was likely taken months ago in September or October before winter since he's wearing no coat and just a t-shirt outdoors. It is being said that he has pancreatic cancer, the same kind of cancer that Patrick Swayze had.
    B4imLrlCYAADeAT.jpg
    https://www.facebook.com/melhoresdom...type=1&theater
    Last edited by Steven Ely; 12-12-2014 at 12:35 PM.
    Jerry Siegel/Joe Shuster, Bill Finger/Bob Kane/Gardner Fox/Sheldon Moldoff/Jerry Robinson, William Moulton Marston under the pen name Charles Moulton/Harry Peter. Creators of the most enduring iconic archetypes of the comic book superhero genre. The creators early Golden Age versions should be preserved. The early Golden Age mythology by the creators are as close to the proper, correct authentic versions as there is.