BANNED

Default X-Men Writer Appreciation

Rather than have scattered threads of various X-Men writers, I thought it might be a good idea to consolidate those discussions into one massive thread where any, and everyone can refer to and discuss their favorite, or not so favorite X-Men writer - whether it be past, present, or potential... This also isn't limited to discussing your favorite X-character writer here either.

Last edited by ProfeZZor X; 04-30-2014 at 09:08 PM.

I'd have to say Jason Aaron was my favorite X-Men writer. Everything he's done from writing the solo Wolverine books, to Schism, bringing the X-Men back to New York and the incredible new school he created, all of it was magnificent. Sure, he had his not-as-great moments, but even those still had some enjoyment to them. Plus, he hooked up Kitty and Iceman, which is still my favorite coupling. And a future son between them!

Bendis has been great work so far and hope he keeps it up.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ice View Post
    I'd have to say Jason Aaron was my favorite X-Men writer. Everything he's done from writing the solo Wolverine books, to Schism, bringing the X-Men back to New York and the incredible new school he created, all of it was magnificent. Sure, he had his not-as-great moments, but even those still had some enjoyment to them. Plus, he hooked up Kitty and Iceman, which is still my favorite coupling. And a future son between them!

Bendis has been great work so far and hope he keeps it up.
    Aaron's done a good job so far. Although I can't say that I like everything that he's done for the X-Men franchise, particularly those silly story arcs, but overall, his work is enjoyable.

Quote Originally Posted by ProfeZZor X View Post
    Aaron's done a good job so far. Although I can't say that I like everything that he's done for the X-Men franchise, particularly those silly story arcs, but overall, his work is enjoyable.
    Agreed. He's done some good, and some not so good. Like a lot of writers. I enjoyed his good ones and what he's done for Iceman.

BANNED

Amazing was great, not really a fan of Wolvie and the X-men.

o

I might be in the minority but I loved Lobdell's era. I got into the world of the X-Men under his watch and really enjoyed his time on the titles. Following Claremont was a difficult position to be in but he hooked me on the X-Men for life.
    After him, my favourite X-writer is Kieron Gillen. His Uncanny X-Men run was tragically short but it was wonderful. Seamlessly working in AvX into his ongoing Sinister narrative... Brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by Omegastorm View Post

o
    I think his Wolverine was probably his best work. Wolvie and the X-Men's first arc was great, AvX took all of the steam out of it, and it never recovered. Shame.

Quote Originally Posted by Omegastorm View Post

o
    WATXM had its moments.
    I won't lie, beyond Remender, I don't enjoy any of the current X-writers, Claremont not included (I don't read Nightcrawler atm).
    I wish the likes of Fialkov and Hickman had been given full control of both the Gold and Blue sides two years ago, they had - and still have! - everything to take the franchise to all-new places.
    "The means are as important as the end - we have to do this right or not at all.
    Anything less negates every belief we've ever had, every sacrifice we've ever made."

"Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely."

"No justice, no peace."

I'd have to go with the easy answer and say Claremont

Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post
    I think his Wolverine was probably his best work. Wolvie and the X-Men's first arc was great, AvX took all of the steam out of it, and it never recovered. Shame.
    Yeah, he even said himself that AvX went on longer than it should have and that it changed things for the series.

I mainly just want to chime in and say it's a welcome surprise to see an X-Writer discussion that is, so far, more positive than negative, especially with regards to Aaron and Remender. Maybe this IS a new forum! I have to say Aaron and Remender been my favorite writers of X-characters over the past few years, along with Kieron Gillen's awesome work.

My favorite runs are pretty standard: Claremont, Morrison New X-Men, Whedon's Astonishing...

Claremont might seem like a requisite, token choice, and it's true that objectively his comics aren't necessarily written better than everyone else's, but the joys of reading Claremont go way beyond the 'importance' of his contributions to the X-canon. Of course he wrote great stories, but more importantly he scores a 10/10 on the "writing like Chris Claremont" scale, a field no one else is really playing on, which only becomes more apparent as his quirks add up over the years (see: my user name..)

Really, no one could ever live up to Claremont's legacy via superficial similarities like reverting to one of his team lineups, or a nostalgic status quo, so that's not really what I look for. Certainly, there have been all kinds of great stories by other writers, but the only way to really follow in the footsteps of Claremont is to be as much of a true blue freak, in whatever form that takes.

To that end, maybe Bendis' Bendisy-ness is something I can appreciate, come to think of it. It's not my preferred flavor of comfort food but I can see how it could be someone's.

Stay freaky, x-writers!

Claremont is obviously my #1. What he did back in the day is unrivaled in both story and character. He pretty much built the foundation that X-writers have been adding to ever since.

After Claremont the Almighty, next in line for me are Kyle/Yost. Their run on New X-men came at a time when I was more interested in teenaged characters (being a teenager myself back then), and their stories of PTSD-inducing tragedy always kept me on the edge of my seat. I just found their stuff thrilling to read and they made me care for the entire freaking cast of their book, which is a rare thing for me. Their move to X-Force was equally mind-blowing. I still maintain that their run was the best iteration of the "X-Force" concept.

Remender takes 3rd place, but not by much. He remains the only writer who has ever gotten me to care about Wolverine and Psylocke. His X-Force run was superb and he created the first interesting villain (his ascended Archangel) the X-men have faced since William Stryker. I also love his work on Uncanny Avengers, though many on the forums here loath it. In UA, he maintains his "brand": action and drama on an epic scale, and fast-paced thrilling storytelling. Sure, I have problems with UA but the series has more positives than negatives for me.
    MAGNETO was right,TONY was right, VARYS was right.

Proud member of House Ravenclaw and loyal bannerman to House Baratheon

"I am an optimist even though I am told everything I do is negative and cynical" --Armando Iannucci

I'm loving the hell out of what Bendis has been doing, especially in All-New X-Men. Claremont's still the king, but I'm loving the Bendis era and I hope it keeps going for a long while.