Super Moderator

Default REVIEW: Thanos Vs. Hulk, #1

It's called "Thanos vs. Hulk" #1, but Jim Starlin barely provides an encounter between the two titans in a story full of painfully awkward moments and exchanges. Still, it's somewhat fun by virtue of Starlin's old-school take on the art.

Full review here.

Incredible Member

Just as an aside, Starlin didn't create the "Starlin's Bar" used in this story. It was created as a location on Knowhere during DnA's Guardians of the Galaxy run (as an homage to Starlin, who basically created or largely characterized half the GotG team and its chief enemies). So while it might seem like a bit of self-aggrandizing, it's actually just as much a continuity nod as anything.

BANNED

Note: This book was not supposed to be a miniseries, it was written and penciled as a part of the Savage Hulk book. Later on Marvel re-branded it as Thanos VS Hulk which Starlin has gone on record many times as saying he thinks is a VERY bad title for the series. You really can't blame Starlin for it, it was a last minute name change that he had no control over.

I also strongly disagree that the Pip sections carry "zero interest" since I enjoyed them immensely. And as for Starlin's bar, as Cthulhudrew said above, that was actually created by Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning, so you can't really come at Starlin over it.

Personally, I loved the book. Awesome art, great story using Starlin's classic toolbox exactly what I expected. Boo on Marvel though for changing the name and giving the impression that this was going to be a beat down slug-fest.

Really fun read, I loved the light-hearted tone and can't wait for more

All-New Member

When this story takes place?
    And why Pip have the Infinity Gem?

Amazing Member

If memory serve me well, Pip has keep a residual "teleportation" power, after the loss of the space gem due to his long time exposure.
    Last edited by Spider-jam; 12-08-2014 at 02:09 PM.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-jam View Post
    If memory serve me well, Pip has keep a residual "teleportation" power, after the loss of the space gem due to his long time exposure.
    Thanks for reply! Didn't know that... And when this story takes place? Before Annihilation?

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo_City View Post
    Thanks for reply! Didn't know that... And when this story takes place? Before Annihilation?
    You make me dig a little, but i found out. It's is mentionned in iNfinity Abyss # 1 of 6, published august 2002. So, yes it was four years before annihilation.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-jam View Post
    You make me dig a little, but i found out. It's is mentionned in iNfinity Abyss # 1 of 6, published august 2002. So, yes it was four years before annihilation.

Thank you very much... I hope Starlin respect the time line with Annihilation. It Is strange that he is writing non-actual stories while Thanos is in the hands Of the Illuminati in Earth.

Amazing Member

Thank you very much... I hope Starlin respect the time line with Annihilation. It Is strange that he is writing non-actual stories while Thanos is in the hands Of the Illuminati in Earth.
    Starlin have his ways with THanos, his favored child.
    He respects the timeline although he takes liberty to "undo" some plots that did not fit in his vision.
    In my opinion, he is still the best writer for this character and I hope he will have some input in the way Thanos will be dealed in Avengers 3.

It Is strange that he is writing non-actual stories while Thanos is in the hands Of the Illuminati in Earth.
    Well, I wouldn't call it a "non-actual story", since it is presumably set in continuity somewhen. (Plus, it's still a story, so in actuality it is a story, not that you meant that.)

All-New Member

Yeah I hope that too in the upcoming Infinity War movies.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Acro View Post
    Well, I wouldn't call it a "non-actual story", since it is presumably set in continuity somewhen. (Plus, it's still a story, so in actuality it is a story, not that you meant that.)
    Sorry... What I am trying to say that it a "past" story... The actuallity with the character is that he is prisoner on Earth after "Infinity"... ;-)

Spectacular Member

Starlin's return to the Marvel playpen feels a little like an attempt to placate the guy who created some really valuable characters and plotlines (in movie terms) by indulging him with a few comics. The fact that Starlin may actually own Thanos may have something to do with it...

http://comicsbeat.com/creators-right...ar-is-brewing/

Now I loved practically everything he wrote between 1970 and 1999, but it's hard to avoid the conclusion that his style feels horribly dated now. Under his pen, Warlock and Thanos come across like Waldorf and Statler on the muppets - fondly going over old disagreements with each other and anyone else who crosses their path because it's all they have.

Quote Originally Posted by teepee View Post
    Starlin's return to the Marvel playpen feels a little like an attempt to placate the guy who created some really valuable characters and plotlines (in movie terms) by indulging him with a few comics. The fact that Starlin may actually own Thanos may have something to do with it...

http://comicsbeat.com/creators-right...ar-is-brewing/

Now I loved practically everything he wrote between 1970 and 1999, but it's hard to avoid the conclusion that his style feels horribly dated now. Under his pen, Warlock and Thanos come across like Waldorf and Statler on the muppets - fondly going over old disagreements with each other and anyone else who crosses their path because it's all they have.
    Lol, I love that analogy.
    I just don't necessarily see the criticizing of one author's work by another author as a bad thing. Those meta-messages are fun/funny as hell to explore and can actually lead to some rather accidental deep character development. (Chris Claremont's meta-message that the Avengers allowed Carol DAnvers aka Ms.Marvel to be taken prisoner and raped by some villian comes to mind.) We never get to see Thanos and Hulk interact much at all, that's the hook of this series and the next few issues will certainly deliver on that, so as far as Starlin not having anything else to say with Thanos this very series is evidence that this isn't true. This is actually something he nor anybody else has seriously attempted before, so there's clearly some untapped potential there.

It's true that Starlin does often layout things by having his characters reminisce about "old times". However, I believe he uses that to anchor himself and set the timeline in which his stories are taking place. He notes that this happens before Revelation which in itself was before INFINITY and when Hulk was still an agent of SHEILD. I always found that sort of thing intriguing and as a young reader that not only provided context but was actually very helpful to me back in the day, it would guide me to past stories that I missed, and in turn get me to buy more comics. You never NEED to go as far back as Starlin might suggest but I always found it more rewarding when I did. Plus, it prevents one from making silly mistakes like the CBR reviewer here has, which he wouldn't have made if he were a bit better informed.

There are certain authors that I look to for light and quick reads, Starlin is not one of them. I don’t consider him “dated” though, I just see him as one of the guys that will take you back to the dawn of the Marvel Cosmic universe and use that to shape the story he's telling today. I agree that this can be the kind of hard Sci-fi that tends to scare a lot of casuals off, most sci-fi depends on a solid continuity to build off of, but when you consider how vapid and contradictory most of Marvel's other cosmic titles are today (you almost HAVE TO be a casual to enjoy them) I'm glad that he's bringing some much needed variety to the scene. The sci-fi and cosmic trippiness is what set Cosmic apart from the rest of the Marvel U and it should still have at least some of that old magic, especially since the other cosmic titles want to just deal with more Avengers stuff with a space background inserted instead of a NY one.

I found this issue to be a lot of fun myself. It was great seeing a lot of the cosmic mainstays back on the scene, even if it was only for a quick cameo. This was nowhere near as dark and serious as most Starlin fare. This is the guy who killed Robin, Mar-Vell, HALF the Marvel Universe! It honestly doesn’t get much more iconic than that. Those are stories that STILL define the DC and Marvel U today. So when he does decide to go a bit lighter and sillier I see it as a rather pleasant surprise…although there’s still plenty of time for him to turn this simple Hulk kidnapping thing into a Universe busting threat, considering Annihilus is involved I’m thinking this will likely be the case…and it’s all thanks to Pip the Troll trying to save his sweetheart…..who just so happens to be into Quasar now, LOL!