Page 86 of 176 FirstFirst ... 367682838485868788899096136 ... LastLast
Results 1,276 to 1,290 of 2628
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    I agree. I just get annoyed with people using any excuse to undermine gender equality. Male abuse is a real problem and shouldn't be used as a tool to ignore female abuse
    People always come up with excuses to rationalize their behavior. The problem is too many people feel sorry them. Look at that Oprah fluff piece with Meagan Markel and Prince Harry where she blamed racism for her issues. I refused to watch it ( let alone feel sorry for millionaires like them), yet millions of people feel pity for them. That same concept applies to criminals. They blame their family, society, the Country, the victim anyone but themselves for their actions and many people buy into it.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    People always come up with excuses to rationalize their behavior. The problem is too many people feel sorry them. Look at that Oprah fluff piece with Meagan Markel and Prince Harry where she blamed racism for her issues. I refused to watch it ( let alone feel sorry for millionaires like them), yet millions of people feel pity for them. That same concept applies to criminals. They blame their family, society, the Country, the victim anyone but themselves for their actions and many people buy into it.
    Just because she's rich doesn't mean she can't experience racism. I'm not necessarily pro-Meghan but wealthy PoC experience racism all the time

And lots of people become criminals due to poor circumstances. Prison culture is a problem in the USA

Astonishing Member

Just because she's rich doesn't mean she can't experience racism. I'm not necessarily pro-Meghan but wealthy PoC experience racism all the time

And lots of people become criminals due to poor circumstances. Prison culture is a problem in the USA
    I agree on both counts, but someone like Markel who wears a dress that costs more then most people make in a month is hard to feel sorry for. As for criminals think of Doc Ock. He had the opportunity to change and do good, instead his ego pushes him back into the previous life (the deal with Mephisto). Too many people are like Otto and fall back into bad behaviors and ( or) habits:

Ultimate Member

I agree on both counts, but someone like Markel who wears a dress that costs more then most people make in a month is hard to feel sorry for. As for criminals think of Doc Ock. He had the opportunity to change and do good, instead his ego pushes him back into the previous life (the deal with Mephisto). Too many people are like Otto and fall back into bad behaviors and ( or) habits:
    Well, I see what you're saying, but her being rich is a different matter than others being racist to her IMO.

As for Doc Ock, his type of criminal isn't the same as what I'm talking about. Most criminalized people commit minor crimes, and many are criminalized for political purposes. Doc Ock is a maniacal scientist with little regard for consequences

Astonishing Member

Well, I see what you're saying, but her being rich is a different matter than others being racist to her IMO.

As for Doc Ock, his type of criminal isn't the same as what I'm talking about. Most criminalized people commit minor crimes, and many are criminalized for political purposes. Doc Ock is a maniacal scientist with little regard for consequences
    Obviously Otto is a fictional character, but there are also “Career Criminals” who do the same stupid stuff over and over. According to Senator Diane Feinstein ( D-Calif) the most likely repeat offenders are sexual predators. These kind of monsters need to be locked up in cages so they cannot prey on defenseless people anymore. I simply have not one iota of sympathy for them: why? There are psychologists, psychiatrists, Social Workers and other professionals out there to help before acting on their evil impulses. As for Markel she is the kind of person who bothers me. If she thinks the US is horrible then leave, you have enough money to go almost anywhere you want. John or Joan Smith is different. They do not have the income and ( or) the connections to go wherever they want, so I have empathy for them. Millionaires or Billionaires? Not in the least.

Ultimate Member

Obviously Otto is a fictional character, but there are also “Career Criminals” who do the same stupid stuff over and over. According to Senator Diane Feinstein ( D-Calif) the most likely repeat offenders are sexual predators. These kind of monsters need to be locked up in cages so they cannot prey on defenseless people anymore. I simply have not one iota of sympathy for them: why? There are psychologists, psychiatrists, Social Workers and other professionals out there to help before acting on their evil impulses. As for Markel she is the kind of person who bothers me. If she thinks the US is horrible then leave, you have enough money to go almost anywhere you want. John or Joan Smith is different. They do not have the income and ( or) the connections to go wherever they want, so I have empathy for them. Millionaires or Billionaires? Not in the least.
    I guess I don't entirely agree about the racism aspect. No matter how wealthy you are, racism can still be a problem. Idk about Markle necessarily, but I remember what Obama went through

As for criminals, I think sexual predators are a different kettle of fish than common thieves or drug dealers

It's not a zero sum game. Feeling sorry for billionaires doesn't mean you can't feel sorry for the average person and vice versa. Regardless of their social standing, no one deserves to be a victim of racism and condemning it no matter who faces it is showing that it is not and should not be acceptable. If anything, feeling empathy for Markle makes her a human being which all billionaires are regardless of their wealth.
    Also, "if you don't like it here, go somewhere else" is a terrible response to people dealing with racism, regardless of whether or not they can afford to do it.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 03-30-2021 at 12:23 AM.

Drawing a comparison between Meagan Markle, a woman who was treated so terribly that she contemplated suicide, and people who abuse their spouses or supervillains, is quite a take. And not a very good one, to put it mildly.

To get back on topic:

* Gwen Stacy is okay.

* Ultimate and Raimi Jonah are better than 616 Jonah.

Jessica Drew (and any other Marvel heroine for that matter) doesn't need Peter Parker to boost the sales of their books. A team up once and awhile is fine, but there is no reason why her relationship with Peter needs to be on the same level as say, Jess and Carol's. Sure they were on the Avengers together and had some Spider-Verse team ups, but that hardly is any basis for them to be bestest buddies.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    Co-Host of the Attilan Rising Podcast Follow @SpiderWomnDaily on Twitter, and check out To Know Her Is To Fear Here: The Spider-Woman Podcast

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Seren View Post
    Jessica Drew (and any other Marvel heroine for that matter) doesn't need Peter Parker to boost the sales of their books. A team up once and awhile is fine, but there is no reason why her relationship with Peter needs to be on the same level as say, Jess and Carol's. Sure they were on the Avengers together and had some Spider-Verse team ups, but that hardly is any basis for them to be bestest buddies.
    I agree 100%. The concept of Peter being in a comic with various super heroines is pushed by one certain poster here. Jessica and the rest need to stand on their own two feet and sell comics based on their own stories not using Spider-Man as a crutch. I especially oppose them in Amazing. Why? I said it before and I will say it again, if that was done it will be at the expense of Peter MJ and the rest of PeterÂ’s supporting cast.

Extraordinary Member

Anyone else like to see a Peter w/out powers story? Not a long arc...just a single issue and Peter has to get by on his martial arts skills and brains to save the day.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    Anyone else like to see a Peter w/out powers story? Not a long arc...just a single issue and Peter has to get by on his martial arts skills and brains to save the day.
    Ehh, not really. It's too cliche even if the writers do remember that Peter has martial arts skills.

World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    Could be interesting if done well.
    "Anyone can win a fight when the odds are easy! It's when the going's tough - when there seems to be no chance - that's when it counts!" - Spider-Man

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by blackspidey2099 View Post
    Could be interesting if done well.
    We had something like that in butterfly effect with slik.He took out an entire HYDRA squad without powers