Page 49 of 176 FirstFirst ... 394546474849505152535999149 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

I actually liked Jackpot

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    I actually liked Jackpot
    So did I, but they still blueballed us with her not actually being MJ.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    X-Men fans complained about the push given to Inhumans and the bad stories they experienced since House of M and they never got over it.
    And that just makes them look petty, obnoxious and entitled.

At least with OMD, it still hasn't been reversed. But the results of House of M have long since been undone and the Inhumans push was dropped when it became clear that it was a failure. Criticizing a mistake is one thing but doing so after it has been rectified is just being melodramatic.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    You do realize that Ultimatum shifted Ultimate Marvel as a whole from "modern retelling of Marvel" to full-on alternate history, right?
    Literally do not understand this sentence. Ultimate Marvel was an alternate universe to 616 with some new artstyle and presentation, and was meant to represent the early 2000s milennial zeitgeist. It was never something built to last. I don't understand what you mean by "full-on alternate history".

It had a greater impact than OMD by far.
    Ultimatum was intended to end the Ultimate Universe. It didn't do that. Ultimate Marvel comics were published after Ultimatum and indeed the biggest and longest lasting Ultimate Marvel characters -- Miles Morales, The Maker -- came after Ultimatum.

So it was just a meaningless pointless comic event. Bad overall but not important and relevant even in the scheme of Ultimate Marvel.

Whereas OMD is the last really important story in Spider-Man continuity, nothing in BND, or Slott's run is as important as OMD. OMD is also the worst Spider-Man story ever, followed if at all by OMIT.

So unlike other bad stories, which can be glossed over and ignored, these stories can't. It's the elephant droppings in the room that everyone is forced to be inside reading 616 Marvel.
    Last edited by Revolutionary_Jack; 10-15-2020 at 01:26 PM.

Mighty Member

No she wasn't. She never was.
    How so? I'll admit, it has been a while since I watched the series so I may be a little clouded by nostalgia. But from what I remember:

She and Peter meet the same way they do in the 616 universe. She shares 616 MJ's interest in the arts (fashion/modeling/acting.) She shares MJ's backstory (an abusive father) and pushes Peter away when he attempts to pursue a relationship (albeit as a result of a relationship with Hydroman.)

She doesn't share the totality of 616 MJ's character arc (the "party girl facade"), she doesn't discover Peter's secret on her own (but she, or at least her clone, is supportive of Peter when she does find out), and her feisty/fun-loving personality was toned down a bit, but I always considered her to be a mash-up of 616 MJ and Romita's Gwen Stacy. And Felicia seemed to be a mash-up of Black Cat and Ditko's Gwen Stacy.

It's hard for me to see PS4 Mary Jane having more in common with 616 MJ. IMO she's your run-of-the-mill, modern superhero reporter girlfriend. As Frontier pointed out her career basically defined her personality.
    Last edited by Spider-Tiger; 10-15-2020 at 01:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    She seemed flesh and blood in the Scarlet Spider book.
    Checked out the ending again:

Then again, considering that Spider-Geddon just ignores this ending, who knows if the robot thing is still around, assuming she's even remembered lol.

They were going for a very overt take on Peter and Spider-Man's lives intersecting.

I guess I'd be fine with her being a reporter if I felt like she still had that vivaciousness and sassiness even as a reporter but that's not really how she came across in the game to me.
    She still had her moments at least, even if not on the level of comics MJ in sassiness.

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    That's an unfortunate consequence of modern storytelling where you don't want to feel like you "wasted" your time on anything. It's why despite all the talks about Spidey's supporting cast being great, people only laud the Daily Bugle cast and Mary Jane, the women he has sex with which I find very sad.

If it doesn't add anything to Spider-Man, it's seen as useless.
    Which is dumb and contradictory to think like that, because having a supporting cast where their lives are mostly independent from Spidey does add something to Spider-Man, a world, where those characters have their own lives, personal drama and whatnot, so there's more stories to show when Spidey is not punching a villain in the face.

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Tiger View Post
    How so? I'll admit, it has been a while since I watched the series so I may be a little clouded by nostalgia. But from what I remember:

She and Peter meet the same way they do in the 616 universe. She shares 616 MJ's interest in the arts (fashion/modeling/acting.) She shares MJ's backstory (an abusive father) and pushes Peter away when he attempts to pursue a relationship (albeit as a result of a relationship with Hydroman.)

She doesn't share the totality of 616 MJ's character arc (the "party girl facade"), she doesn't discover Peter's secret on her own (but she, or at least her clone, is supportive of Peter when she does find out), and her feisty/fun-loving personality was toned down a bit, but I always considered her to be a mash-up of 616 MJ and Romita's Gwen Stacy. And Felicia seemed to be a mash-up of Black Cat and Ditko's Gwen Stacy.

It's hard for me to see PS4 Mary Jane having more in common with 616 MJ. IMO she's your run-of-the-mill, modern superhero reporter girlfriend. As Frontier pointed her career basically defined her personality.
    There was that moment where MJ or her clone or whatever where she jumped off a building after Spidey revealed his secret identity to her and asked her to marry him, after he saved her, she says she did it because she was sure he would always be there for her, guess that's anti-616 MJ, 'cause that was moronic to bridge herself

(That doesn't have much to do with the subject, just wanted an excuse to remind y'all of that dumbass moment )

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Tiger View Post
    How so? I'll admit, it has been a while since I watched the series so I may be a little clouded by nostalgia.
    Gatsby Leo Toast.jpg

It's hard for me to see PS4 Mary Jane having more in common with 616 MJ.
    Yoda That is why you fail.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    There was that moment where MJ or her clone or whatever where she jumped off a building after Spidey revealed his secret identity to her and asked her to marry him, after he saved her, she says she did it because she was sure he would always be there for her, guess that's anti-616 MJ, 'cause that was moronic to bridge herself

(That doesn't have much to do with the subject, just wanted an excuse to remind y'all of that dumbass moment )
    That moment sucked.

The Fox cartoon made a grand melodramatic soap about Peter-MJ which was never the case with the characters in the comics. I mean separating MJ into an AU dimension for a season, bringing her back, and then making her a clone and so on. They made Aunt Anna Watson into a harridan, which she wasn't in the comics.

Gatsby Leo Toast.jpg

Yoda That is why you fail.jpg

That moment sucked.

The Fox cartoon made a grand melodramatic soap about Peter-MJ which was never the case with the characters in the comics. I mean separating MJ into an AU dimension for a season, bringing her back, and then making her a clone and so on. They made Aunt Anna Watson into a harridan, which she wasn't in the comics.
    I don't know, if could get a bit soap-opera like in the comics, thougth i do agreed than that moment was dumb lol. Ah, i forgot what they did to poor Anna.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Checked out the ending again:

Then again, considering that Spider-Geddon just ignores this ending, who knows if the robot thing is still around, assuming she's even remembered lol.
    So she was a robot.

She was definitely flesh and blood in the cartoon though.
    She still had her moments at least, even if not on the level of comics MJ in sassiness.
    They were just a little too understated for me. Like, you have Laura Bailey, give her some real zest to work with.
    Which is dumb and contradictory to think like that, because having a supporting cast where their lives are mostly independent from Spidey does add something to Spider-Man, a world, where those characters have their own lives, personal drama and whatnot, so there's more stories to show when Spidey is not punching a villain in the face.
    That's easier to get across in an episodic, serialized, TV series than the story equivalent of a movie (if we're going off the main story).

I guess that takes diving for your love a little too literally...
    Peter and MJ in the comics were totally a soap opera though with their will they or won't they and emotional issues. It wasn't to extent it got to the Fox cartoon, but still.

I'm with you on Aunt Anna being a terrible person, although she arguably was more relevant in that cartoon than she was in the comics...

So she was a robot.

She was definitely flesh and blood in the cartoon though.
    Well, this one would be easy to retcon, just say she had a robot around and Ben just made the wrong assumption, but yeah, so far, she's just a robot.

They were just a little too understated for me. Like, you have Laura Bailey, give her some real zest to work with.
    Yeah definitely a writing issue, maybe next time, didn't Michelle improve in Far From Home?

That's easier to get across in an episodic, serialized, TV series than the story equivalent of a movie (if we're going off the main story).
    Well, at the end of the day, PS4 Spidey is not a movie, but a video game, they can add a bunch of cutscenes where we see Peter's social life, unrelated to super heroing, they could even be optional scenes for those who want to focus only in the main story, so there'll be more to see for those who want, but ignore for those who want to focus on gameplay or just the main story, as long as it's there.

I guess that takes diving for your love a little too literally...
    A little more than a little .

Out of context that scene makes it look like she'd rather kill herself than be in a relationship with Spidey, which makes more sense than her actual reasoning for jumping, that's how dumb that moment was.

I'm with you on Aunt Anna being a terrible person, although she arguably was more relevant in that cartoon than she was in the comics...
    Wasn't aunt Anna at her most relevant when aunt May was dead, in which aunt Anna was used as pretty much aunt May's replacement? Lol

Yeah definitely a writing issue, maybe next time, didn't Michelle improve in Far From Home?
    Michelle is a whole other can of worms but they definitely made her more likeable.
    Well, at the end of the day, PS4 Spidey is not a movie, but a video game, they can add a bunch of cutscenes where we see Peter's social life, unrelated to super heroing, they could even be optional scenes for those who want to focus only in the main story, so there'll be more to see for those who want, but ignore for those who want to focus on gameplay or just the main story, as long as it's there.
    Maybe that's something to keep in mind for the next game aside from those brief moments with Peter out-of-costume. Maybe do something like the Persona/Yakuza games, although I feel like they wouldn't necessarily fit in a Spider-Man game.
    A little more than a little .

Out of context that scene makes it look like she'd rather kill herself than be in a relationship with Spidey, which makes more sense than her actual reasoning for jumping, that's how dumb that moment was.
    It was the adrenaline.
    Wasn't aunt Anna at her most relevant when aunt May was dead, in which aunt Anna was used as pretty much aunt May's replacement? Lol
    Definitely more relevant than she is now. I can't even remember the last time she and MJ were on the same page as each other.

Mighty Member

I was genuinely curious as to your POV...

but thanks for the response..?

Maybe that's something to keep in mind for the next game aside from those brief moments with Peter out-of-costume. Maybe do something like the Persona/Yakuza games, although I feel like they wouldn't necessarily fit in a Spider-Man game.
    Honestly, when I played Persona 3 months ago, I was thinking how fitting some of its elements would be fitting with Spidey, balancing the social life school/work with saving the world and all, could be really cool, although the question would be the "how" to implement it, since Persona's social life aspect is there to benefit your gameplay by making your personas stronger, and so you can get Ultimate Personas, it'd be a little more complicated to put something like that in Spidey's life in a way that makes sense, and it still shouldn't be done too much, since, again, Peter's social life is better off being isolated from Spider-Man's. Though maybe doing a good job with it could make his mental health better? Question is how to make mental health mechanic work...

Basically, it ain't easy to implement this social life aspect, but if done well, it could be great.

Definitely more relevant than she is now. I can't even remember the last time she and MJ were on the same page as each other.
    I'm not even sure what was the last time she showed up at all, don't even know if she died and I forgot about it lol.

Michelle is a whole other can of worms but they definitely made her more likeable.

It was the adrenaline.

I'm gonna say we saw her in ASM #600 in the wedding of May and JJJS.

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Honestly, when I played Persona 3 months ago, I was thinking how fitting some of its elements would be fitting with Spidey, balancing the social life school/work with saving the world and all, could be really cool, although the question would be the "how" to implement it, since Persona's social life aspect is there to benefit your gameplay by making your personas stronger, and so you can get Ultimate Personas, it'd be a little more complicated to put something like that in Spidey's life in a way that makes sense, and it still shouldn't be done too much, since, again, Peter's social life is better off being isolated from Spider-Man's. Though maybe doing a good job with it could make his mental health better? Question is how to make mental health mechanic work...

Basically, it ain't easy to implement this social life aspect, but if done well, it could be great.

I'm not even sure what was the last time she showed up at all, don't even know if she died and I forgot about it lol.
    Speaking of Persona, while Yuri did a great job as Peter in the game, sometimes i could heard Yosuke there, usually when he screamed. This prove that i had played way too much Personal lol.

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona