Page 173 of 176 FirstFirst ... 73123163169170171172173174175176 LastLast
Results 2,581 to 2,595 of 2633

I wouldn't actually mind them de-aging Aunt May a bit in the comics. It doesn't need to be anything magical or any cosmic reset. Just say that the doctor discovered a previously undetected condition and gave her medicine for it and now she's feeling a lot better. Then slowly start drawing her looking a little bit younger every few issues. You could even have her dye her hair. I know lots of older ladies that dye.

Although I do feel you'd have to be careful about this to not make her feel too much like a new character or something.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Did you even watch the Raimi movie?

And I will never understand this hang up superhero fans have with heroes needing help?
    I’m in the middle on that issue.

I think that Peter should be getting help from other Spider-Man characters. Getting help from other superheroes would be using them as a crutch rather than building Peter’s narrative.

Remember when Peter dated Bobbi? That was kinda cute and fun. I kinda liked that. Bring her back over Felicia. I’m sick of seeing Black Cat everywhere. Damn Jed McKay for revitalizing Black Cat. 😒😤

Quote Originally Posted by KangMiRae View Post
    Remember when Peter dated Bobbi? That was kinda cute and fun. I kinda liked that. Bring her back over Felicia. I’m sick of seeing Black Cat everywhere. Damn Jed McKay for revitalizing Black Cat. 😒😤
    There's a whole bunch of books where Felicia isn't mentioned.

Astonishing Member

Sam Raimis idea of Peter shooting his web out of his body made more sense than Peter inventing web fluid.

Kill Aunt May.

There's a whole bunch of books where Felicia isn't mentioned.
    Thank God. Now pull her out of the current The Amazing Spider-Man and please stop putting Mary Jane with her in books. Thanks.

Spectacular Member Obeythemoderators's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    I'm not sure if this is controversial but here goes -

Injecting mysticism with the whole Spider Totem and Web of Life stuff into Spidey was the worst thing that ever happened to 616 Peter. Sure, we got a few interesting things from it such as 616 (kind of) Miles and OG concept (Universe 65 setting) Spider-Gwen, however, Peter Parker has always been a character grounded in science and so he should remain. And it opened the door for the inclusion of magical-heavy concepts like OMD, Kindred, and most recently the current run of Amazing.
    The problem I have with that statement is that so much of the science fiction elements in Spider-Man are so loosely based on real science that it might as well be magic. In fact their being a Spider-God is honestly more scientific then a spider passing on superstrength via radiation, I mean even if radioactivity could pass on genetic qualities from one species to another spider's immense strength compared to their own bodies has everything to do with their size and skeletal structure, something that Peter Parker still lacks.

Human superstrength is at best symbolic of the abilities of a spider so magic and totems are honestly allot more appropriate then science fiction.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Obeythemoderators View Post
    , I mean even if radioactivity could pass on genetic qualities from one species to another spider's immense strength compared to their own bodies has everything to do with their size and skeletal structure, something that Peter Parker still lacks.
    As a matter of fact, the so-called strength of a Spider (or any other arthropod for that matter) has more to do with the square-cube law than any other thing. A spider the size of a human wouldn't be able to support its own weight.

BANNED

I think the MCU reintroducing Peter as "Iron Man" Jr. May have been a little awkward, but after JUST getting a redo of the origin and a fairly standard Spidey adventures in the two ASM films, the MCU version needed something drastic like that to set it apart. It also let him have a more animated suit in the eyes, which I just love. Sure, it was awkward, especially in Far From Home I feel, but overall it worked as it's own distinct version. Plus, now we have him back to square one after No Way Home, which is super exciting to see. See how a Peter who had all this advanced tech and resources at his finger tips, now back to just stretchy fabric and making his own stuff on the fly. I think that's a pretty compelling arc for the character especially as he's forced to grow up. Lost Aunt May. Lost his best friend and love interest. Lost all his connections to the super hero community. I'm super hyped for the fourth Spidey MCU film, which I almost never say about a FOURTH installment of any series.

Quote Originally Posted by Shunt View Post
    As a matter of fact, the so-called strength of a Spider (or any other arthropod for that matter) has more to do with the square-cube law than any other thing. A spider the size of a human wouldn't be able to support its own weight.
    as a teenager my idea was the Human Cockroach. He has the strength and speed of a cockroach and stuff, but also wings to glide/flutter a bit.

Silver Age MJ was way more toxic than Gwen.

People who complain about Raimi MJ being a damsel in distress are only judging her by the three or four times they saw comic MJ fight off a villain and ignoring the numerous other instances of her being helpless. The MJ who beat up Chameleon with a baseball bat is the same one who was so traumatized by her first encounter with Venom that she made Peter burn his black costume.

Silver Age MJ was way more toxic than Gwen.

People who complain about Raimi MJ being a damsel in distress are only judging her by the three or four times they saw comic MJ fight off a villain and ignoring the numerous other instances of her being helpless. The MJ who beat up Chameleon with a baseball bat is the same one who was so traumatized by her first encounter with Venom that she made Peter burn his black costume.
    I could never get over Gwen's early appearances where she despised Peter because he wasn't paying attention to her like every other man around her. That first impression stuck pretty hard for me. Then when Ditko left her personality was toned down to be really clingy and weepy. By comparison MJ was a much more fun character who got a lot of development. I don't need her to be a super hero in her own right to be interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by witchboy View Post
    I could never get over Gwen's early appearances where she despised Peter because he wasn't paying attention to her like every other man around her. That first impression stuck pretty hard for me. Then when Ditko left her personality was toned down to be really clingy and weepy. By comparison MJ was a much more fun character who got a lot of development. I don't need her to be a super hero in her own right to be interesting.
    The thing is that MJ only developed after Gwen died. Were it not for Gwen's death, MJ as we know her today would not exist. She'd be the same person who does nothing but flirts with Peter while still dating Harry and being a jerk when someone's going through a rough time.

Ironically, Raimi MJ is more accurate to how she started out in the comics while being much nicer.

The thing is that MJ only developed after Gwen died. Were it not for Gwen's death, MJ as we know her today would not exist. She'd be the same person who does nothing but flirts with Peter while still dating Harry and being a jerk when someone's going through a rough time.

Ironically, Raimi MJ is more accurate to how she started out in the comics while being much nicer.
    MJ was always going to change. She was too popular to remain static. But how she would have changed in this scenario is completely hypothetical.
    Last edited by Kevinroc; 07-17-2023 at 05:02 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    MJ was always going to change. She was too popular to remain static. But how she would have changed in this scenario is completely hypothetical.
    MJ’s rise as the preferred love interest is intrinsically attached to the idea that comics “evolved” from the Silver Age to the Bronze Age - encapsulated by her complex emotions ending in closing the door to comfort Peter during the Night Gwen Stacy Died, which was the story where the Bronze Age became inevitable. The “genie” that popped out of the bottle there was “Hey, what if we write the love interest as their own complex character alongside the hero being that?”…

…Which, incidentally, is why I sort of think there’s a correlation between people who dislike MJ and the marriage, and fans of older, zanier, campier, and cheesier stories for Peter… and some accompanying apathy about badly written and exploited female characters, like the current run.

On a similar, more perosnally controversial note - Spider-Man 2 is not as good as Spider-Man 1 because Raimi was embracing an older-than-neccessary narrative style, which is also why Spider-Man 2’s soap opera tendencies explode into Spider-Man 3.

Don’t get me wrong; Doc Ock actually benefitted from the more “Silver Age” style story since he works as someone who mixes “great man of science” with “give this man a top hat and a mustache to twirl!”, and Peter’s psychosomatic plotline is high concept enough it sort of counterbalances Raimi’s campier execution (in contrast to how he handled the black suit in Soider-Man 3.)

But MJ’s written in an exploitive, trashy way that isn’t nearly as bad as Zeb Wells’ current run… but is definitively in the same vein and doesn’t benefit her at all. If she didn’t have the string showing in the first film, it might have crashed her much harder than it already kind of did.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP