Page 74 of 83 FirstFirst ... 2464707172737475767778 ... LastLast
Results 1,096 to 1,110 of 1232
  1. #1096
    Extraordinary Member TheCape's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Venezuela
    Posts
    8,314

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    That's kinda tru they still treat Pym as an abuser in comics think the last time they brought it up was during Secret Empire issue 4 which is also written by Spencer. Well Hank Pym isnt Peter so of course his incident will be treated differently
    That issue was so bizarre and kind of hilarious too. Althougth overall, the problem with Pym is than that is his most famous storyline and is like the only thing that many like to explore about him. Plus, if the writers want easy/cheap drama, that's the easiest plot point to bring.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

    "I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

  2. #1097
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    62,201

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    That issue was so bizarre and kind of hilarious too. Althougth overall, the problem with Pym is than that is his most famous storyline and is like the only thing that many like to explore about him. Plus, if the writers want easy/cheap drama, that's the easiest plot point to bring.
    It also was inconsistent, because Pymtron isn't actually Hank Pym but they sometimes treat him like he is.

  3. #1098
    Radioactive! Spiderfang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    New York-94
    Posts
    560

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    The same could be said about a lot of characters.
    Yeah well we're not talking about 'a lot of characters', we're talking about Spider-Man.
    The city I once knew as home is teetering on the edge of radioactive oblivion

  4. #1099
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    2,656

    Default

    Villains are at their most interesting when they're not obsessed with fighting Spider-Man. That's why Norman Osborn was at his best during Dark Reign when he had motivations beyond just "make Spider-Man sad".

    Heroic supporting characters are always more important than villains. You could replace all of the villains in Spider-Man and lose almost nothing.

  5. #1100
    Kinky Lil' Canine Snoop Dogg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    9,901

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    That's kinda tru they still treat Pym as an abuser in comics think the last time they brought it up was during Secret Empire issue 4 which is also written by Spencer. Well Hank Pym isnt Peter so of course his incident will be treated differently
    Because Hank Pym is not a major brand and therefore is allowed to be interesting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunny
    Discord call outs lead to panic. Panic leads to fear fear leads to hate hate leads to 1.99 slim Jimís at Walgreens

  6. #1101
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    62,201

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    Villains are at their most interesting when they're not obsessed with fighting Spider-Man. That's why Norman Osborn was at his best during Dark Reign when he had motivations beyond just "make Spider-Man sad".

    Heroic supporting characters are always more important than villains. You could replace all of the villains in Spider-Man and lose almost nothing.
    But at the end of the day he still hated Spider-Man with every fiber of his being.

    I think the villains are important because you need someone memorable for Spider-Man to fight.

  7. #1102
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    2,656

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    But at the end of the day he still hated Spider-Man with every fiber of his being.

    I think the villains are important because you need someone memorable for Spider-Man to fight.
    It's not that they're unimportant; they're just not as importance as everyone else. After all, Spider-Man is more than just fighting villains.

  8. #1103
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    62,201

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    It's not that they're unimportant; they're just not as importance as everyone else. After all, Spider-Man is more than just fighting villains.
    Yeah, but fighting villains is still pretty important .

  9. #1104
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Posts
    603

    Default

    More Controversial Opinions...

    1. Spider-Man Unlimited wasn't as terrible as fans make it out to be. The concept is hella weird, and a lot of the episodes are boring, but quality-wise it was alright and had a pretty good characterization of Spider-Man. It's also one of the only adaptations outside of comics to explore the idea of Spider-Man being a revolutionary icon.

    2. Kraven's Last Hunt is a masterpiece, but it's not a good place to start reading Spider-Man if you're new to the character or to comics. The tone and story is very different from what your average Joe thinks of when they think 'Spider-Man' - which is fine, but I keep seeing it on recommends lists as if a beginner would be all over it. I'm not so sure that they would.

    3. None of Peter Parker's clones were ever that interesting. I think the idea of a hero having clones running around in their own solo titles is silly. I would much rather prefer multiple Spider-Men who aren't Peter Parker than multiple clones of Peter Parker, if we are gonna have a Scarlet Spider and so on. I also think it's weird for an everyman character to be friends with clones of himself.

    4. I have no problem with giving 616 Peter Parker a child, but I don't think he needs to have one. I get the sense that some of the fanbase treats Peter not being a father yet the same way they see Peter not being married with MJ - as if it's something that has to happen and it not happening is somehow a sign of Marvel treating Peter like a manchild. But I think that having a child and raising it is a lot more of a complicated thing than being married. Many people in real life can't do it properly or even agree on how to do it. It's also becoming more socially acceptable to have kids at a later age or to not have them at all. If Marvel ever undoes OMD but doesn't want to go any further and make Peter a father, I honestly wouldn't blame them.

    5. Peter and Miles have to interact more. I get the importance of Miles standing on his own and not be a sidekick, and I think there is some risk of invoking the White Savior trope if Marvel implies that Miles needs a mentor while Peter didn't. However, more direct compare-and-contrast between the two is needed. An example of a good compare-and-contrast between a mentor and student without the student being sidelined are Deku and All Might in the first three seasons of My Hero Academia.
    Last edited by Kaitou D. Kid; 02-19-2021 at 11:30 PM.

  10. #1105
    Incredible Member Seto Kaiba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    603

    Default

    1) The Clone Saga wasn't as bad as everyone says it is. Granted it's not great either. It's still an important part of Spider-Man history.

    2)OMD, as bad as it was, shouldn't be magically retconned out of existence like people want. This is especially prevalent considering that Peter and MJ are back together, in love, and seem to be heading toward marriage once again.

    3) Spider-Man: Lovable loser is REALLY getting annoying. I didn't have a problem with CEO Parker at all though I also don't want to character to become Tony Stark 2.0. He should, however, get much more recognition for his intelligence and abilities.

    4) Superior Spider-Man is one of the best things to happen to the character in awhile, especially when the character was NOT written under Slott. Vol 2 was pretty amazing and it was absolutely IDIOTIC how it ended.

  11. #1106
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    26,758

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post

    3. None of Peter Parker's clones were ever that interesting. I think the idea of a hero having clones running around in their own solo titles is silly. I would much rather prefer multiple Spider-Men who aren't Peter Parker than multiple clones of Peter Parker, if we are gonna have a Scarlet Spider and so on. I also think it's weird for an everyman character to be friends with clones of himself.
    In fairness, it really isn't any weirder than all the other stuff in Peter's life.

    Then again, being an everyman and being a superhero are somewhat incompatible.

  12. #1107
    Incredible Member Seto Kaiba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    603

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    In fairness, it really isn't any weirder than all the other stuff in Peter's life.

    Then again, being an everyman and being a superhero are somewhat incompatible.
    Maybe it's just me, but both Kaine and Ben have become their own people that I totally forget that they're clones of Peter.

  13. #1108
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Posts
    603

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Seto Kaiba View Post
    Maybe it's just me, but both Kaine and Ben have become their own people that I totally forget that they're clones of Peter.
    This is what I meant by preferring different Spider-Men. If they've become their own people character-wise (which at least Kaine has), I would rather them be new people completely than literal clones of the main hero.

  14. #1109
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    2,656

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    This is what I meant by preferring different Spider-Men. If they've become their own people character-wise (which at least Kaine has), I would rather them be new people completely than literal clones of the main hero.
    I think that being clones is better than them just happening to be bit a random spider.

    I don't think their origins are really a problem. It's only a problem when writers treat it as though it's their only trait.

  15. #1110
    Extraordinary Member Revolutionary_Jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    7,487

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    More Controversial Opinions...
    I actually agree with most of the ones here. This one especially.

    3. None of Peter Parker's clones were ever that interesting.
    Totally.

    4. I have no problem with giving 616 Peter Parker a child, but I don't think he needs to have one. I get the sense that some of the fanbase treats Peter not being a father yet the same way they see Peter not being married with MJ - as if it's something that has to happen and it not happening is somehow a sign of Marvel treating Peter like a manchild. But I think that having a child and raising it is a lot more of a complicated thing than being married. Many people in real life can't do it properly or even agree on how to do it. It's also becoming more socially acceptable to have kids at a later age or to not have them at all. If Marvel ever undoes OMD but doesn't want to go any further and make Peter a father, I honestly wouldn't blame them.
    Also agree. I think people have a hard time appreciating that "hard cases make poor laws" (quoting a famous legal maxim) and that the most extreme version isn't automatically default. Just because people are in favor of Spider-Man growing up and maturing doesn't mean we want him to rocket through everything. I think Spider-Man should grow, but slowly. I didn't think he was ready to be a father at the time of The Clone Saga certainly.

    5. Peter and Miles have to interact more.
    Word.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •