Page 93 of 176 FirstFirst ... 4383899091929394959697103143 ... LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,395 of 2628

Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post
    I was a kid of the 90s and was so stoked about Peter being a dad. He doesn't have to stay young for kids to be interested in his comics, but the advent of Miles means Marvel can have their cake and eat it too.
    That's the weird thing... late teens (16-19) Pete is this odd space where he's not young enough to BE a kid, but not an adult really. I preferred the early 20s version where he's in college because it sets him as not a rookie, and also gives opportunities to tell more complex narratives in some ways.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vegeta View Post
    I seem to remember a story back in the day where she did travel back in time and meet Peter near the start of his crime fighting career.

I wouldn't mind 616 Pete having a child, but I would prefer it to be like a real kid, no spider powers and joining in to crime fight alongside their dad. No sassy clever quips that only an adult would make, etc.
    Oh, ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post
    Now that Miles exists and has made it to other media,

I'd love to see Peter and MJ married again, along with the return of Baby May.

I was a kid of the 90s and was so stoked about Peter being a dad. He doesn't have to stay young for kids to be interested in his comics, but the advent of Miles means Marvel can have their cake and eat it too.

If it were up to me, I'd have the line look something like this:

Amazing Spider-Man (Peter)
    Miles Morales, the Spectacular Spider-Man
    Web of the Scarlet Spiders (Ben and Kaine)
    And maybe another Peter-centric book, or a team-up book

-Pav, who is full of opinions today...
    I wouldn't be opposed to him having a kid either. At least it might mean no more jumping between girlfriends and nonsense like that. As long as he gets to progress and not be trapped in a cycle

The 90s Spider-Man logo is my favorite Spider-Man logo, over the classic one. https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ez7alw2X...g&name=900x900

I do not care at all for the logo that was briefly used in the mid 2000s on the title, it's since gone on to be used for lots of merchandising and the two recent cartoons. It's just way too slick and overly produced feeling.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ez7anF-X...png&name=small

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    I always felt that the Green Goblin was an example of a classic villain with a terrible costume, i.e. in the comics. I mean I never got the concept that someone who's a green goblin should have more purple than green visible. And it's weird that Norman would dress himself in a green body-suit and then put a purple tunic on top of that!!! Besides the fact that it resembles the Skrulls a little bit. The only adaptation that made the costume with that color scheme work was Spectacular Spider-Man cartoon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spidey_62 View Post
    For sure. The perpetually grinning Goblin mask calling out to Norman just hits me right always. 10 years prior the Green Goblin's Last Stand fan film did the classic tunic Goblin costume, and I always will dig this cause it's fun seeing someone do that direct translation in live action- low budget charm and all. That mask they made has a static grinning expression similar to how the Raimi version would do it later, too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylky5ITvZpk&

I quite liked the Humberto Ramos Green Goblin re-design he did for the Paul Jenkins story right when the movie came out, that was then used as the defacto Green Goblin look for most of the 2000s up to Brand New Day. It's funny seeing Ramos get to draw the classic Goblin costume in recent years, I don't think it's as good as his redesign. The Ramos design was a lot creepier (and greener!) than the classic costume with its disheveled layers. I honestly wish that one was still used today, but like Doc Ock we gotta return the villains to their factory setting visual after a little experimentation has worn off.

Attachment 108841
    TSSM and Ramos' design are my favorite GG looks, although I think I like the TSSM design a little more. Like Jack said, it has the best blend of purple and green (I love the all green in Ramos' design but if you can add the purple in and make it work, even better). I also like how TSSM gave the Green Goblin his own logo (the pumpkin at the belt) and got rid of the giant handbags. Nothing wrong with a villain carrying handbags, but it doesn't fit someone as acrobatic as the Green Goblin IMO.

Now that I think of it, I'm surprised no one incorporated the TSSM design into comics yet. I wonder if Sony "owns" that design since they own that version.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    TSSM and Ramos' design are my favorite GG looks, although I think I like the TSSM design a little more. Like Jack said, it has the best blend of purple and green (I love the all green in Ramos' design but if you can add the purple in and make it work, even better). I also like how TSSM gave the Green Goblin his own logo (the pumpkin at the belt) and got rid of the giant handbags. Nothing wrong with a villain carrying handbags, but it doesn't fit someone as acrobatic as the Green Goblin IMO.

Now that I think of it, I'm surprised no one incorporated the TSSM design into comics yet. I wonder if Sony "owns" that design since they own that version.
    You know I made a discovery recently. I found the evolutionary connection between Kirby and Ditko and why Goblin is so similar to Kirby's style.

I recently read Vol.1 of PRINCE VALIANT. Prince Valiant was a newspaper adventure strip by Hal Foster, a big deal in the '30s, '40s and '50s and it had these amazing color strips for the Sunday papers.

So both Jack Kirby and Steve Ditko were big readers of Prince Valiant and cited it as an influence and inspiration. Kirby said that his character Etrigan was inspired by Valiant.

It was based on this scene where Valiant puts on a disguise and enters the hall of an enemy, and the inspiration is obviously not only for Etrigan but also the Green Goblin.

Prince Valiant Vol. One (1).jpg
    Prince Valiant Vol. One (4).jpg
    Green Goblin's first appearance was a brookstick before he switched to a glider but the green and purple design, and movement is very obviously derived from this.

Apologies for the second one not being properly rotated.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post

Perhaps they want to avoid referencing MC2 at ALL costs. (I mean TSSM's Goblin outfit takes design beats from that correct?)

(look at the purple part of the outfit's design)
    Last edited by Mistah K88; 05-06-2021 at 04:40 PM.

As a Mockingbird fan I have to say her use in the Spider-Man comics was kind of...bad?

Like 80% of her dialogue is her insulting or denigrating Peter or calling him an idiot. Or treating him like a freeloader (which, okay, he was, but still). Or just kicking him when he was down.

And then they hook up for, like, five minutes and quickly end it.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    As a Mockingbird fan I have to say her use in the Spider-Man comics was kind of...bad?

Like 80% of her dialogue is her insulting or denigrating Peter or calling him an idiot. Or treating him like a freeloader (which, okay, he was, but still). Or just kicking him when he was down.

And then they hook up for, like, five minutes and quickly end it.
    Yup.
    Would have made much more sense for Black widow to be the Shield Spy.
    Also peter was way out of character as well and their excuse for the break up was weak af.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

I love clones!

I love Ben! I love Kaine! I love The Jackal! I love that he can die a million times and be retconned as just another clone! I love Otto's various new bodies! I love Dead No More returning dead characters! I love the original story! I love the concepts and much of the 90's Clone Saga! I loved Clone Conspiracy!

Spidercide exists... Okay, it can't all be gold.

I think it's a legit unique twist in the Spider-man universe and something that is almost kept a dirty secret. I think we should revel in it more. I'm not saying we need one a decade and we don't need any more "who's the real Peter", but I'd definitely take more clone stuff.

Peter, Ben and Kaine should have a loose continuity book together road-tripping or something. I want to see these guys interact more.

I still want Norman Osborn to be reveled as a clone.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mistah K88 View Post
    Perhaps they want to avoid referencing MC2 at ALL costs. (I mean TSSM's Goblin outfit takes design beats from that correct?)

(look at the purple part of the outfit's design)
    I never booked it but yes, it totally does.

I think the timeline on that may be reversed, as in if anything took inspiration it woulda been Spider-Girl looking at TSSM's GG design. Spectacular Goblin debuted on TV around May of 2008, that Spider-Girl story didn't happen til late 2008/early 2009. That or happy coincidence.

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    I love clones!

I love Ben! I love Kaine! I love The Jackal! I love that he can die a million times and be retconned as just another clone! I love Otto's various new bodies! I love Dead No More returning dead characters! I love the original story! I love the concepts and much of the 90's Clone Saga! I loved Clone Conspiracy!

Spidercide exists... Okay, it can't all be gold.

I think it's a legit unique twist in the Spider-man universe and something that is almost kept a dirty secret. I think we should revel in it more. I'm not saying we need one a decade and we don't need any more "who's the real Peter", but I'd definitely take more clone stuff.
    Oh.. I just thought about how I was discussing how Civil War went down in another thread, and that old axiom came to mind once more "with great power comes great responsibility". It's something I often pondered as a teenager, because yes, I watched Spiderman on TV in the 90s... but I also watched Savage Dragon. What's the biggest difference between Dragon and Spidey? Dragon has a badge. He's NOT a vigilante. He doesn't hide his identity. He kinda can't because he has that weird green fin sticking out of his head. But the biggest thing is that he's living the motto of "to protect and serve". He's not giving lip-service to following the law, he really is enforcing it.

But the question then becomes... what would Spider-man be like if he chose that path? What would Spider-man be like if he worked for SHIELD? We've seen hints of it, but... never a full dive on it.

Peter in the ASM movies is nowhere near as douchie as he was in the comics. Especially when written by Ditko.

Astonishing Member

I hate the idea of Peter crossing over with Deku from My Hero Academia because Peter should be too old for Deku by now.

Extraordinary Member

While I wasn't in love with them, I actually wasn't that offended by OMD/BND.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.