Page 177 of 177 FirstFirst ... 77127167173174175176177
Results 2,641 to 2,651 of 2651

This might be a really controversial take so ready your keyboards with fury but.....

I do not like venom alien origins, in a gallery that consist of powers by accidental science, tech, and mobsters for a charactor who also has powers by accidental science I always felt like it made venom stick out like a sore thumb and fit more in line with let's say the fantastic four then spider-man.

Also yes I prefer the whole genetic experiment element from the bendis ultimate run.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Daibhidh View Post
    Carlie Cooper was a decent character from what I read of her in the run up to Spider-Island; but there was a certain air about her that she'd been designed by a committee who were trying to make fetch happen.
    To be fair, the majority of the Brand New Day era was "designed by a committee" in that ASM for those years was run like a TV Writers' Room. ASM was a very atypical book for Marvel in that regard. It was a team of 4 writers ("The Brain Trust") for one "season", and then a mostly different team of 4 writers ("The Web-Heads") for the following "season". Without everyone participating and adding to the mix, it would've been impossible to produce the book 3 times a month and have the writers pass off the virtual baton while running that relay race. Sometimes it meant progressing other writers' subplots in your issues-- with them returning the favor over in the their storylines. I get the "designed by a committee" criticism, because there is definitely a kernel of truth to it-- but I don't see how we could've pulled off 3X's a month ASM without it.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Slott View Post
    I get the "designed by a committee" criticism, because there is definitely a kernel of truth to it-- but I don't see how we could've pulled off 3X's a month ASM without it.
    It's a trade-off: in order to pull off 3 issues a month, editorial had to go the committee route, which is a proven way to efficiently produce consistently mixed results. Carlie Cooper is a perfect example, she was supposed to be The New Love Interest and turned out to be Spider-Man's Poochie.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by the human tortilla View Post
    This might be a really controversial take so ready your keyboards with fury but.....

I do not like venom alien origins, in a gallery that consist of powers by accidental science, tech, and mobsters for a character who also has powers by accidental science I always felt like it made venom stick out like a sore thumb and fit more in line with let's say the fantastic four then spider-man. ....
    Your analysis is not wrong but that is also part of what made him such a unique foil that took off right from the start. Venom was lightening in a bottle. I'd contest lightening they captured twice with Carnage.
    However, three decades later the symbiotes have moved, largely, into their own niche corner of the 616U now. Stories like King in Black and Carnage Reigns are evident of that as well as things like Space Knight: Venom. They will always have tangential ties back to the Spider family but the Symbiote Family is its own thing now.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

I never cared for Carnage as a villian or character.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I never cared for Carnage as a villian or character.
    I've come to accept Venom by virtue of my hating the other symbiotes so much more.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

I liked early Carnage, through about the mid-2000s. I know characters evolve, Venom sure has, it is just the Carnage changes are a bit much.
    Anti-Venom, Toxin and Scream I'm ok with everything after that becomes confusing background noise.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    I've come to accept Venom by virtue of my hating the other symbiotes so much more.
    I dont mind having other symbiotes. I just never felt they have much of a hook beyond alternate versions of Venom. So far Rascal from Red Goblin and Sleeper are the exceptions.

I dont mind having other symbiotes. I just never felt they have much of a hook beyond alternate versions of Venom. So far Rascal from Red Goblin and Sleeper are the exceptions.
    It's more interesting when the others aren't shoved into the same book as Venom.... since not having the same Venom powers makes it interesting.

While Venom pre-dates the 90s, he's endemic of all the edgelord excesses of the 90s. And Carnage is just XTRA SUPER EDGEY boy.

Quote Originally Posted by the human tortilla View Post

I do not like venom alien origins, in a gallery that consist of powers by accidental science, tech, and mobsters for a charactor who also has powers by accidental science I always felt like it made venom stick out like a sore thumb and fit more in line with let's say the fantastic four then spider-man.

Also yes I prefer the whole genetic experiment element from the bendis ultimate run.
    i'm 50/50 on it myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    It's more interesting when the others aren't shoved into the same book as Venom.... since not having the same Venom powers makes it interesting.
    that's one way to differentiate between the symbiotes more.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    While Venom pre-dates the 90s, he's endemic of all the edgelord excesses of the 90s. And Carnage is just XTRA SUPER EDGEY boy.
    the only time he worked for me was in the ASM2 tie-in game. He became more than just a joker wannabe.