Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Is it time for Spider-Man to "grow up"?

I watched this video by Casually Comics, which advocated for Spider-Man to once again become a husband and a father. I want to know what you think, to the points she raises, and her overall idea on the subject.

Is Spider-Man becoming a husband and father a natural evolution of his character? Is the undoing of the marriage like if DC made Dick Grayson give up his identity of Nightwing and going back to being Robin?

YES.

GAWD, YES.

He’s been dealing with adult problems since the 1970s. The Marvel universe is growing up around him. His classmates have a 10 year old son. JUBILEE is a mom now.

It’s beyond time.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post

I watched this video by Casually Comics, which advocated for Spider-Man to once again become a husband and a father. I want to know what you think, to the points she raises, and her overall idea on the subject.
    To be blunt- **** yeah. Thats what 'With Great Power must come Great Responsiblity" means to me. Peter's story is about him growing up and slowly gaining the responsiblities that comes with it. Going to college, paying rent, getting marriaged, starting a family that is the ideal progression of Peter's character.

Pulling out the Tom DeFalco here:

”Tom Brevoort recently said that the Spider-Man series is all about youth.
    And he's the editor, so he gets to call the shots. Now, when I was the editor of Spider-Man, I thought the series was all about responsibility... So I think that if you're playing that the series is about responsibility, that allows you to have him get married, ultimately allows you to have him have a baby, because the more responsibilities you pile on the character, his life and the series become more interesting.”

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Garlador View Post
    Pulling out the Tom DeFalco here:
    Tom DeFalco is the definitive MJ writer to me, the moment I read his backstory for her made me fasinated by her character

Astonishing Member

Yes, Peter should absolutely be retired from the series.

Yes, I 100% agree it is high time.

PS Another great video about the subject by one of my favorite Youtube creators.

She easily debunks the great dead-end story myth. I wish I could have done so as articulately as she did. If creatives want to repeat that myth it is on them now to prove it is true. I'll simply send them this vid as a potent counterpoint. If they want to keep Peter young fine, but they shouldn't rely on that lazy disingenuous myth to justify their stance they should just say they prefer him that way.
    Last edited by Celgress; 06-27-2023 at 09:24 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    Yes, Peter should absolutely be retired from the series.
    Agreed. Their child can then be the focus of the series or they can just canx the book. LOL!

Astonishing Member CaptainUniverse's Avatar

Yes, the forced stagnation of Spider-Man must come to an end.
    "The Enigma Force is not a tool to be manipulated by mortals. The Enigma Force comes to those it deems worthy. What temerity, what arrogance, makes you think you are worthy? Have you not all made mistakes? Unforgiveable ones?" - Captain Universe

"Call me an Avenging Angel, Baron, come to safeguard Earth...call me CAPTAIN UNIVERSE!" - Ray Coffin

"You're my heart, Mary Jane Watson...you're my jackpot." - Peter Parker

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post

Is Spider-Man becoming a husband and father a natural evolution of his character? Is the undoing of the marriage like if DC made Dick Grayson give up his identity of Nightwing and going back to being Robin?
    Caught this video when it was posted in another thread. Have they been reading these boards? lol

Honestly though, I agree with many of their points. And I thought the Dick Grayson analogy was fitting. It's interesting that, despite doing frequent reboots, DC doesn't fully revert the characters to what they used to be. There always seems to be some change or some addition to continuity from a previous iteration that carries through to the next phase. It's not something that I've thought about before.

To a certain extent I agree, but more to the point of writing Peter as a mature, responsible, adult rather than needing to see him just be a husband and father (and I say this as a marriage and Mayday fan).

Like I don't need to see Peter raising a baby or child Mayday in 616 (and I don't think writers would handle it well) but I'd like to see him actually be competent and more or less have his @#$% together. And he should be with MJ.

Writing believable children is hard. That's my main reservation about giving Peter and MJ children.
    If they do give Peter and MJ children they should start by having them find the original May. I think the emotional beats of having to adopt and bond with your own biological child would be interesting. Also, that's an outstanding thread that needs to be tied up.
    Petrus Maria Johannaque sunt nubendi

Mighty Member

Marriage… yes.
    But Father Parker… I dunno.

I think it will be a fun detour, but I don’t know how I feel about reading Peter Parker being a Dad for the rest of my life.
    I’d be happier if Renew your vowls got a series every few years to scratch that itch.
    But otherwise, I’d rather not have him be a Dad for now.
    While I liked Pater Parker being a Dad in Spider-verse, the thought of that continuing in an ongoing series where nearly every story will be surrounded by a Baby honestky scares me.
    Especially if we get a writer who either doesn’t know how to handle a kid or likes the edgy ****

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Daibhidh View Post
    Writing believable children is hard. That's my main reservation about giving Peter and MJ children.
    If they do give Peter and MJ children they should start by having them find the original May. I think the emotional beats of having to adopt and bond with your own biological child would be interesting. Also, that's an outstanding thread that needs to be tied up.
    You don’t need to write believable characters; just enjoyable ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Garlador View Post
    YES.

GAWD, YES.

He’s been dealing with adult problems since the 1970s. The Marvel universe is growing up around him. His classmates have a 10 year old son. JUBILEE is a mom now.

It’s beyond time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    To a certain extent I agree, but more to the point of writing Peter as a mature, responsible, adult rather than needing to see him just be a husband and father (and I say this as a marriage and Mayday fan).

Like I don't need to see Peter raising a baby or child Mayday in 616 (and I don't think writers would handle it well) but I'd like to see him actually be competent and more or less have his @#$% together. And he should be with MJ.
    Agreed with both of these!

While I enjoy Spider dad stories, I don't need to see another. We already have May and Annie, that could be explored further.................or as Frontier said just be written mature and competent and not a man child. Thankfully I am getting enough well written iterations of my favorite character outside of comics. I hope Marvel will wake up one of these days and flipping allow this.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!