Page 107 of 176 FirstFirst ... 75797103104105106107108109110111117157 ... LastLast
Results 1,591 to 1,605 of 2628

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    Dan Slott is the best Spider-Man writer
    Now that's a controversial opinion

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    This is a comment I will agree with very much!

My own thought on another writer? I feel that Todd M is over rated and if it was for Venom his run would not be ranked as high.

Good artist and writer I just dont understand the Awe people have of him.
    Is McFalarne is really considered that good of a Spidey writer? He only wrote Adjectiveless Spider-Man, his run on ASM had him as the artist (Though maybe there was a Marvel method going on, with him being an artist but also involved on the writing), and his Adjectiveless Spider-Man starts with a boring version of Kraven's Last Hunt, though maybe the quality improved after that lol.

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    Can I ask when you started reading the comics? I know this is the controversial thread, so I’m not rebuking/arguing but I know a few people who have said the same about JMS also started reading during that particular era. I think the era we start reading shapes our own interpretation of the character. For me, I started reading during the David Michelinie ASM era and hold his run in much higher regard than some others I know.
    Well, someone can also like stuff more even if nostalgia is there, I did watch 90's Spidey cartoon first, but I don't really have enough interest to rewatch it, meanwhile I've rewatched Spectacular like 5 or 6 times lol.

Edit:

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    I like Michelinie a lot. Prefer JMS but Michelinie's quite good.

His dialogue is sharp and this is my all-time favorite Peter speech.

This speech is even better if you remember how much of an impatient, melodramatic lil' **** he could be at times in Ditko's run, so that really shows that he matured.

McFarlane, as far as i know, is liked or was liked because of his art, not so much for his storylines, i would say that teenage me was kind of fascinated by his work back then and Torment while being kind of crappy tale is still a story that i enjoy, mainly because it was one of my first "Dark" comics, yeah i was going throught a phase back then lol.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    Can I ask when you started reading the comics? I know this is the controversial thread, so I’m not rebuking/arguing but I know a few people who have said the same about JMS also started reading during that particular era. I think the era we start reading shapes our own interpretation of the character. For me, I started reading during the David Michelinie ASM era and hold his run in much higher regard than some others I know.
    i started at the superior venom portion of the dan slott run but I was also visiting these forums at the same time and well you know how you guys feel about Slott. But i did like a majority of what I read during the time the only thing I didnt like was when he had Peter become broke again after PI. But the thing I think made me more mad was reading people comments saying that a broke Peter is a good thing and true to character keeps him "everyman". And thats when i learn of the status quo and realize that sad cycle of comics
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Extraordinary Member

Someone said everyone/most people who like superior started reading Spider-man w/ Dan Slott. Gotta say guy had a point from personal experience

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    Someone said everyone/most people who like superior started reading Spider-man w/ Dan Slott. Gotta say guy had a point from personal experience
    Well, I dislike Slott a lot, but I really enjoyed Superior.

By the way, Micheline and MacFarlane are both terrible writers, and the latter is a pretty bad artist. I understand why he was so revered in the 90s, though, same as Jim Lee. They even fooled me at the time

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shunt View Post

By the way, Micheline and MacFarlane are both terrible writers, and the latter is a pretty bad artist. I understand why he was so revered in the 90s, though, same as Jim Lee. They even fooled me at the time
    Yeah, I'd say it's an 80-20 for that from personal experience.Also should clarify I do mean vol 1 superior by slott, not vol 2 by Gage.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shunt View Post

Why do you think Michelinie is a bad writer? Yes, he wrote some duds, especially towards the end… but his characterization of Peter was so well-defined and consistent and there were many classic moments and stories during his almost 100 issue run. I can’t look at an early 90s Bagley or Larsen panel of ASM without getting a twinge of nostalgia.

Ive been reading Spiderman for years. I have read stories from every decade and pretty much every writer. And I think Slott is the best I have read. So this is not always true. But I do get his point. A lot of people who think Slott is the best started reading Spiderman on his run.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Extraordinary Member

Ive been reading Spiderman for years. I have read stories from every decade and pretty much every writer. And I think Slott is the best I have read. So this is not always true. But I do get his point. A lot of people who think Slott is the best started reading Spiderman on his run.
    This isn't meant as an attack on people who like Slott and/or Superior.Slott built up to superior using his version of Peter, MJ, etc.Superior works for those versions but for those who have read ASM before I think they can agree a lot of it doesn't work w/ Peter as a character before but for Slott's Peter.I also started reading Spidey w/ slott but it left a bad taste in my mouth so I started reading older comics and loved them.

Also the Otto wank by Slott isn't for me, and some choices like making Ock a s*xual assaulter, making everything Ock did w/ Peter's live so easy, MJ's character being assasinated(again they don't need to be a couple, I mean as an individual character she was horrible), Avengers and everyone else being dummys of the highest degrees, etc.

This isn't meant as an attack on people who like Slott and/or Superior.Slott built up to superior using his version of Peter, MJ, etc.Superior works for those versions but for those who have read ASM before I think they can agree a lot of it doesn't work w/ Peter as a character before but for Slott's Peter.I also started reading Spidey w/ slott but it left a bad taste in my mouth so I started reading older comics and loved them.

Also the Otto wank by Slott isn't for me, and some choices like making Ock a s*xual assaulter, making everything Ock did w/ Peter's live so easy, MJ's character being assasinated(again they don't need to be a couple, I mean as an individual character she was horrible), Avengers and everyone else being dummys of the highest degrees, etc.
    I can see that. There are reasons not to like Slott for sure. But for me he was really the more modern writer of Spiderman I have read after reading years of older comics and I just really enjoyed the story and I enjoyed the feel of it. He is not for everyone. But for me he is great!

What era of older Spiderman comics do you enjoy? And who is your favorite writer of those issues?
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Extraordinary Member

I can see that. There are reasons not to like Slott for sure. But for me he was really the more modern writer of Spiderman I have read after reading years of older comics and I just really enjoyed the story and I enjoyed the feel of it. He is not for everyone. But for me he is great!

What era of older Spiderman comics do you enjoy? And who is your favorite writer of those issues?
    JMS era would be on the top, his Peter and MJ were great and Peter as a teacher was perfect.I enjoy the original run as well.Comics older than JMS other than the OG run are either hit or miss, not even the writers but certain arcs do it for me and some just don't.
    Same w/ modern comics, even though I dislike Slott stuff like Big time, Spider-Island(for the most part), etc. are still great.I like Renew Your Vows as well.It's just he and modern Spidey messed up on a few key characteristics of his IMO.

I'm enjoying Spencer's run a whole lot, to me it's the perfect blend of what worked in old and was better about new.Again it's convoluted because of his goals like retcons which while I'm glad he does it does make his stories a bit crowded but he gets the characters.

Hopefully Beyond does it's job as a palate cleanser, and sets up Spidey in a direction that both new and old fans can enjoy under a great creative team.

Amazing Member

Ultimate>Amazing

I just read Back in Black and One more Day. I enjoyed the heck out of both of them I am a couple issues into Brand new Day. And ya alls is wrong. It is pretty fun.

BANNED

I just read Back in Black and One more Day. I enjoyed the heck out of both of them I am a couple issues into Brand new Day. And ya alls is wrong. It is pretty fun.
    Back in Black is uncontroversial. It's generally seen as a great story and the true end of JMS' run.

The others, well you've certainly made yourself at home in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Back in Black is uncontroversial. It's generally seen as a great story and the true end of JMS' run.

The others, well you've certainly made yourself at home in this thread.
    Well I am several issues into Brand New Day. And I have to say I am having a blast. Mister Negative seems pretty cool. I am enjoying Reading Harry in Spiderman comics again. I get people hate it. But I enjoy it