Page 113 of 176 FirstFirst ... 1363103109110111112113114115116117123163 ... LastLast
Results 1,681 to 1,695 of 2628
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    Well, back then Spidey wasn’t depicted as inexperienced or even incompetent in order to elevate some second-string characters that Marvel wanted to increase interest in.
    On god, and it makes us dislike the second-string character when they do this smh

Amazing Member

I don't care for Mary Jane and can't stand how the 90s cartoon and the Raimi movies have basically incepted people into thinking she's Peter's one true love. I find it lazy and annoying that whenever Peter and Mary Jane are a couple, any supporting cast he has left disappears. Like the writer's think "Why have Peter go to his college classes, go to his job, or interact with other people when we can just have him in bed with MJ and relay any exposition for the plot of the issue that way?"

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by hbomb450 View Post
    I don't care for Mary Jane and can't stand how the 90s cartoon and the Raimi movies have basically incepted people into thinking she's Peter's one true love. I find it lazy and annoying that whenever Peter and Mary Jane are a couple, any supporting cast he has left disappears. Like the writer's think "Why have Peter go to his college classes, go to his job, or interact with other people when we can just have him in bed with MJ and relay any exposition for the plot of the issue that way?"
    Pretty sure most people hate/dislike Raimi MJ and I don't remember what's the opinion for the 90's one except people liked 90's Black Cat way more

Both those versions and the ps4 version do no justice to comic MJ.So it's really comic fans who think they are soulmates, etc.

I love Raimi MJ. She's a jealous, problematic, messed up bitch and I love her so much. Someone who experienced emotional abuse as a child probably would grow up with some deep-seated issues and I really like that the Raimi movies chose to focus on that, and present her as someone challenging but still very sympathetic.

God, I could write a whole thesis on her. I love the way the Raimi trilogy presented all its women, but MJ in particular.
    harryosborn.net -Me rereading every single comic that has Harry Osborn in it, and also writing some articles.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by PanicPixieDreamGirl View Post
    I love Raimi MJ. She's a jealous, problematic, messed up bitch and I love her so much. Someone who experienced emotional abuse as a child probably would grow up with some deep-seated issues and I really like that the Raimi movies chose to focus on that, and present her as someone challenging but still very sympathetic.

God, I could write a whole thesis on her. I love the way the Raimi trilogy presented all its women, but MJ in particular.
    Please do, I've read some and while I think the trauma aspect is great and the best part about her it doesn't justify her being a 3 times cheater(not to mention leaving a man at the altar on top of that).Seriously we had 3 movies and this side character cheated in all of them.

No growth at all, I get the first 1 or even 2 movies but after that she should have grown and been a better person.

Also Dunst is just a terrible person.Wanted as much Money as Tobey(she was paid a grwat amount, pretty sure she got paid more than Andrew Garfield)and her idea for the next movie in Raimi-verse was kill Peter and MJ raises a Spider-baby.She also called MCU a cashgrab and "we did it best, they are just milking it dry".

Honestly Dunst and Raimi-MJ are 2 things I'd like to erase from Spider-man media.

Even worse because Ursula Ditkovich and Betty Brant were right there, even Raimi Gwen Stacy was a good person who had morals and left Peter as soon as she figured he was using her to get to MJ and even apologized to her as compared Mary"leave a man at the altar w/out telling him"Jane.

Peter would be better off w/ any of them.It hurts because I was a child when I watched them and I liked/even loved this MJ but now that I understand the movies I hate her.I get why she did most of what she did, but it doesn't justify any of it, mostly I hate this version because we never see her grow or learn.There's no redemption or growth.There are no consequences that help her grow and she just end's up w/ Peter.
    Last edited by Spiderfan001; 11-21-2021 at 06:47 AM.

BANNED

Preach.

I don't care for Mary Jane and can't stand how the 90s cartoon and the Raimi movies have basically incepted people into thinking she's Peter's one true love.
    You are obviously free to express your distaste for the character. That's what Controversial Opinions are all about.

But it's factually incorrect and objectively false that "the 90s cartoon and the Raimi movies have basically incepted people".

Mary Jane was always
    -- The most popular and beloved of all Peter's love interests.
    -- One of the most famous supporting characters in Spider-Man comics (and along with Jameson, the only one to consistently feature outside the 616 comics in advertising, cameos, and AU appearances).
    -- She was one of the most important characters in terms of appearances even before she got married.

I find it lazy and annoying that whenever Peter and Mary Jane are a couple, any supporting cast he has left disappears.
    If we want to talk about ideas being "incepted", this is certainly an example of a notion fed in by BND because it's based on a lot of false premises and assumptions.

At the end of the day some characters are going to be more equal than others in any story, and Mary Jane is the biggest character in Spider-Man after Peter Parker. She's made more appearances in the issues (alongside Jameson who's slightly below) than Aunt May and others.

Extraordinary Member

All this MJ love so I'll post this here.Also Lotus MJ is going to be a great adaptation from the looks of it

https://twitter.com/kisezm/status/1462252380251205635

One of the things I love about Lotus MJ is that she smokes. I hate smoking in real life but I always loved that MJ of the 90s comic did it, her having such a self-destructive habit makes perfect sense.
    harryosborn.net -Me rereading every single comic that has Harry Osborn in it, and also writing some articles.

Extraordinary Member

One of the things I love about Lotus MJ is that she smokes. I hate smoking in real life but I always loved that MJ of the 90s comic did it, her having such a self-destructive habit makes perfect sense.
    YES, I remember the put that in the teaser and people loved it.

Even in comics that arc was great and (IMO) a much better written trauma related MJ story direction

Amazing Member

For the record, I started reading ASM at a time Mary Jane was written out of the book after Peter proposed to her the first time, so for me Peter was allowed to date around and then the Black Cat flirtations started. Plus in reprints I read, MJ was around but Peter was with Gwen.

For me, when OMD came around and BND followed, it was a breath of fresh air. I wish we could've gotten more of Betty as Peter's confidante after the issue she likened their relationship to a brother/sister type. And I dug Carlie but Slott rarely let her have page time alone with Peter without MJ butting in.

Happy 15th Anniversary next year, One More Day
    Last edited by hbomb450; 11-21-2021 at 08:34 AM.

Spider-Man fans that were born in the 80's: NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

BANNED

For the record, I started reading ASM at a time Mary Jane was written out of the book after Peter proposed to her the first time, so for me Peter was allowed to date around and then the Black Cat flirtations started.
    Well the advantage of the internet over old fanboy memories is that with all the issues available at hand at various wikipedias and comic book sites and so on, we can actually go issue-by-issue rather than rely solely on memories.

Between Mary Jane's return to ASM in #238 and the issue of her marriage, she made a total of 66 Issues in which Mary Jane appeared across all Marvel Titles. 38 of them ASM

By contrast, Felicia Hardy appeared in 22 issues between 242-289 in ASM alone and she was the big new character at the time. And she had made 57 issue appearances since her first appearance in #193-289.

The bulk of the Peter-Felicia romance happened in the pages of Spectacular Spider-Man and not ASM.

So basically, Mary Jane was written out of the books, Felicia had a clean head-start then MJ came back and in short order reclaimed her lead and central position from the new young thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    Even worse because Ursula Ditkovich and Betty Brant were right there, even Raimi Gwen Stacy was a good person who had morals and left Peter as soon as she figured he was using her to get to MJ and even apologized to her as compared Mary"leave a man at the altar w/out telling him"Jane.
    It's actually hilarious how in the entire trilogy, Peter and MJ have about as much chemistry as throwing manure in food, meanwhile he has more chemistry with Betty, who has less than 5 minutes of screen time in the entire trilogy.

I don't even like 616 Betty, or care much about her in general, so when rewatching some scenes she's in, I was surprised how fucking adorable she is too lol.

Peter would be better off w/ any of them.It hurts because I was a child when I watched them and I liked/even loved this MJ but now that I understand the movies I hate her.I get why she did most of what she did, but it doesn't justify any of it, mostly I hate this version because we never see her grow or learn.There's no redemption or growth.There are no consequences that help her grow and she just end's up w/ Peter.
    Yeah, Raimi's MJ is wack, she's both meh as a character and terrible as a love interest, the exact opposite of 616 MJ lol.

For me, when OMD came around and BND followed, it was a breath of fresh air. I wish we could've gotten more of Betty as Peter's confidante after the issue she likened their relationship to a brother/sister type. And I dug Carlie but Slott rarely let her have page time alone with Peter without MJ butting in.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    I just read Back in Black and One more Day. I enjoyed the heck out of both of them I am a couple issues into Brand new Day. And ya alls is wrong. It is pretty fun.

Extraordinary Member

I’m a much bigger fan of the personality and portrayal of Peter in the MCU then I am of Raimi’s Peter, and as crazy as it may seem, he feels more “real” to me.

I liked the exaggerated “dweeby” Peter in Spider-Man 1, but I didn’t love it, and it’s constant resurfacing in the other two films after it long overstayed it’s welcome has turned me against it. It’s too stereotypical, too mean-spirited in its cringe-humor, and it makes me hate Spider-Man 2’s psychosomatic power loss plot-line while being exactly what’s behind “Bully Maguire” in Spider-Man 3 sucking so bad.

It depends on the already hyperbolic archetype of the nerd from long ago, when for like the last 40 years, geeks and nerds have transitioned into totally different cliques and niches than that, and even trying to do the classic archetypes requires more grace than even Raimi managed to hit consistently - go too far into it, like in Spider-Man 2 and Spider-Man 3, and Peter can start becoming a bit unlikeable. And it really doesn’t work once removed from an over-the-top school setting. It’s the exact same problem as the “charlatan” version fo Clark Kent - it’s fake, and unappealing.

MCU Pete, in contrast, is an actual geek and nerd I could see either attending my school when I was in high school or attending the high schools I’ve been teaching the last few years. He’s still dorky, awkward, and nerdy, but much more believably so, and he's positioned in a much more believable context regarding his social life - modern schools have been more disparate and less hierarchical in cliques for years (the politics and fractious element is still there, it’s just more dispersed and multi-faceted.) Pete’s clearly not popular… but he’s also not treated as the arbitrarily-selected pariah, either.

And MCU MJ, while still not a perfect adaptation of Mary Jane, is closer than the Raimi version in personality, who was more a fusion of Mary Jane and the popular memory of Gwen Stacy (not the actual memory).
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Amazing Member

I didn't think clarifying when I started reading needed fact checking. Just put it out there to say that I have no strong inclination toward any one particular relationship for Peter. I only have a disdain for MJ because she was the main love interest for 20 years and I welcomed the change with OMD.

Kinda bummed that Spencer brought them back together but I drop the book when it doesn't interest me. Dropped it after Superior, picked it up for the first 25 issues under Spencer then lost interest but I'm back on for Ben Reilly's stint because in addition to liking the marriage being undone, I also thought the Clone Saga was a fun ride