Page 137 of 176 FirstFirst ... 3787127133134135136137138139140141147 ... LastLast
Results 2,041 to 2,055 of 2633
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    There's actually a weird catch-22 with Miles that's not talked about. It makes sense for Peter to mentor him, but it's taboo for a Spider-Man to be a sidekick (for good reasons). There's ways for Peter to be involved in Miles' life that avoids that, but they're not immediately obvious to most Marvel writers.
    I feel like that excuse is kinda unhealthy and limits story telling to the “basics”.

Not to mention having a sidekick would age Peter up while keeping the timeline ambiguous.

Extraordinary Member

There's actually a weird catch-22 with Miles that's not talked about. It makes sense for Peter to mentor him, but it's taboo (for good reasons) for a Spider-Man to be mentored as if they were a sidekick.

There's ways for Peter to be involved in Miles' life that avoids that, but they're not immediately obvious to most Marvel writers. So most of them just avoid writing them together completely.
    Yeah, I don't think they should do a father son thing but a much older brother and younger brother dynamic

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    I feel like that excuse is kinda unhealthy and limits story telling to the “basics”.

Not to mention having a sidekick would age Peter up while keeping the timeline ambiguous.
    The way lazy Marvel writers are presumably thinking about it, it would be good for Peter, just not good for Miles. It begs the question why Peter got to be a symbol of teenage independence, the teen hero who is not a sidekick and all, but Miles doesn't get to be that too.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    Yeah, I don't think they should do a father son thing but a much older brother and younger brother dynamic
    Agreed. Also, it looks like the next Insomniac game will be the first to do this. Not just have them team up once, but to have them function as a dynamic duo.

The Insomniac games and the animated films have been a lot bolder with Spider-Man recently than the comics. They're doing new things while the comics aren't. It's so strange, because usually it's the other way around. It just goes to show how much the BND status quo hurt Spider-Man's comics.
    Last edited by Kaitou D. Kid; 03-29-2022 at 06:09 AM.

Extraordinary Member

The way lazy Marvel writers are presumably thinking about it, it would be good for Peter, just not good for Miles. It begs the question why Peter got to be a symbol of teenage independence, the teen hero who is not a sidekick and all, but Miles doesn't get to be that too.
    Yeah this sounds about right for Marvel

They forget Peter was one of the first if not the first solo teenage hero, and Miles is still far less independent than Peter w/ how many teams he's joined and how many people super or otherwise know who he is.

Peter was a solo character through and through and had no one to confide in.

Agreed. Also, it looks like the next Insomniac game will be the first to do this. Not just have them team up once, but to have them function as a dynamic duo.

The Insomniac games and the animated films have been a lot bolder with Spider-Man recently than the comics. They're doing new things while the comics aren't. It's so strange, because usually it's the other way around. It just goes to show how much the BND status quo hurt Spider-Man's comics.
    Absolutely

Also I hope Insomniac keeps it to just Peter and Miles and no more Spider-people until maybe a time-skip w/ a grown Mayday way down the line

Also hopefully it's not the end for solo stories for Pete.I like team-ups but they've shown they can make solo stories even both there are more than one Spiders around w/ the Miles game

Yeah this sounds about right for Marvel

They forget Peter was one of the first if not the first solo teenage hero, and Miles is still far less independent than Peter w/ how many teams he's joined and how many people super or otherwise know who he is.

Peter was a solo character through and through and had no one to confide in.
    I mean, he had Sentry back then.

Also I hope Insomniac keeps it to just Peter and Miles and no more Spider-people until maybe a time-skip w/ a grown Mayday way down the line

Also hopefully it's not the end for solo stories for Pete.I like team-ups but they've shown they can make solo stories even both there are more than one Spiders around w/ the Miles game
    I don't see a solo game happening again now they they have two Spider-Man introduced.

At best I can see "Spider-Man" being the Peter game, while Miles gets the sub series "Miles Morales", but Spider-Man 2 will be having both.

Maybe laster games can change this, but I think that now thay they're together, Insomniac may not have reasons to separate them.

Another solution could be to have both in the same game, but with mostly independent stories.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

Astonishing Member

They probably stopped doing it cause they realized how toxic it is.

It’s one of the reasons why sidekicks and teen heroes in general are looked down upon now. Characters like Batman and Spider-Man can get away with it because of the Grandfather clause.

Quote Originally Posted by witchboy View Post
    I think the location of NYC is important in the Spidey mythos. Peter is an NYC boy, and the atmosphere has always been part of his comics.
    I'm not bothered by Miles being there. It's a big city, and having him centrally located to where all the action goes on is convenient. But if a writer wanted to move Miles to another city it could be interesting to see him somewhere new where he wouldn't have so many other heroes around. It could give him a chance to develop more of his own space.
    Yeah but then you run the risk of discovering that there's not much to Miles. Peter's costumed identity, city, villains, friends even storylines have always functioned as a security blanket for Miles.
    Last edited by Anthony W; 03-29-2022 at 07:21 PM.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

And Miles grew up in Brooklyn and he’s a minor which means that it’ll be harder for him to leave where Peter can just look for a job somewhere else.
    Easier... it would be Easier for him to leave.

His mom/dad accepts a new job in a different city. Miles goes where his adults tell him he's going. Just like every other Teenager who had to move when they didn't want to.

Kids his age don't always have agency in decisions like this.

Y'know... that actually has merit. It's one (of many) reasons I absolutely hate Damian Wayne. Having a natural born kid who's 12-15 years old inherently ages Batman WAY too much. Grabbing a teenager off the street and putting him in a costume keeps it all ambiguous (to a point).

I absolutely do NOT want Spider-man in 616 to have any kids running around. Nobody wants a Spider-baby. They may want a 10 year old Spider-kid... or a Teenage Spider-girl again... but nobody wants a Spider-baby for 10 years. So that timeline would be moving forward in ways that ruin the books. Pretty much been a Franklin Richards issue since day one.

But yeah, Miles could be the 'sidekick/young one' and Peter could go back to the Mentor role of showing the new kids the ropes. I mean, he used to do it all the time. Everyone from Darkhawk, Nova, through Ghost Rider would get the Team up with Spider-man telling him the Power and Responsibility speech. It was like the Tutorial in the Marvel universe. get your powers, meet Spider-man.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Yeah but then you run the risk of discovering that there's not much to Miles. Peter's costumed identity, city, villains, friends even storylines have always functioned as a security blanket for Miles.
    Good, he should have his own stuff

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    Easier... it would be Easier for him to leave.

His mom/dad accepts a new job in a different city. Miles goes where his adults tell him he's going. Just like every other Teenager who had to move when they didn't want to.

Kids his age don't always have agency in decisions like this.
    Spitting

On a similar note... I just saw a headline that again illustrates why I hate 'Legacy' names. Too confusing 'in-world' and characters need to protect their reputations as much as anyone else does. Every time Jameson prints 'Spider-man menace!!!" Miles shouldn't have to worry about citizens throwing cans at him. Or when the scorpion hears that Spider-man is in the neighborhood, Miles shouldn't have to deal with Peter's grudge matches... Same with the Flashes, the Green Lanterns, Robins, etc.

But yeah, just saw a headline that says " Flash Actor Hit with Restraining Order after Arrest". I'm sure things like that are really annoying Grant Gustin right now. :P

Good, he should have his own stuff
    The problem with Miles is that the character exist in a work for hire environment where there are more ways than ever to make your own comics. So he is never really going to get his "own" stuff.

The best you can do is move him to a new city and then do a deep dive into The Official Handbook Of The Marvel Universe for villains that aren't being used that can be claimed, salvaged, and go from there.

Here is an example. Turner D Century. Don't laugh. The character's only real problem is that he was introduced too early. This is the perfect villain too have in this day and age LOL. He fits into Miles weight class and contrast with him perfectly. Dude is a bona fide evil genius, who hates teenagers. The teenagers will just think he is a hipter, which will INFURIATE him, but the dude has a handlebar mustache and dresses like he is from the 1900s so of course they think he is a hipster. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turner_D._Century

The only problem is that....
    1. He is a Spider-Woman villain, but that won't be a problem because the Spider-woman fans don't remember this guy and if they do won't care if we take him.

2. He is dead. Just say he wasn't killed, it was an android that he uses to gather info on the rest of the villains.
    Last edited by Anthony W; 03-31-2022 at 09:56 AM.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

They probably stopped doing it cause they realized how toxic it is.

It’s one of the reasons why sidekicks and teen heroes in general are looked down upon now. Characters like Batman and Spider-Man can get away with it because of the Grandfather clause.
    Sidekicks are looked down upon, but I don't see how teen heroes are disrespected that much, specially with how popular manga is.

But yeah, Miles could be the 'sidekick/young one' and Peter could go back to the Mentor role of showing the new kids the ropes. I mean, he used to do it all the time. Everyone from Darkhawk, Nova, through Ghost Rider would get the Team up with Spider-man telling him the Power and Responsibility speech. It was like the Tutorial in the Marvel universe. get your powers, meet Spider-man.
    Apparently it was an unofficial rule that "Spider-Man shows up in the third issue", which She-Hulk kinda mentioned it once:

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

The series doesn't support getting married or having children but I can still see it happening.

It always depends on how much a writer is invested in the dynamic. I liked their dynamic in The Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon, the video game, and the Marvel Action comics. I don't see why people think it's impossible beyond they don't want it happen.

It's like saying Robin doesn't belong in a Batman movie.
    USM started the trend of making Miles more of a sidekick down to the fact that he's not even called Spider-Man once he joined the main cast. I think the fault is trying to make Miles more of a Robin type, which just doesn't really fit.

He works better on his own away from Peter.
    There's actually a weird catch-22 with Miles that's not talked about. It makes sense for Peter to mentor him, but it's taboo (for good reasons) for a Spider-Man to be mentored as if they were a sidekick.

There's ways for Peter to be involved in Miles' life that avoids that, but they're not immediately obvious to most Marvel writers. So most of them just avoid writing them together completely.
    Even Miles' game had to pretty quickly write Peter out so Miles could be his own Spider-Man and basically just skipped over all the mentoring/training stuff (aside from side mission holograms).

BANNED

I absolutely do NOT want Spider-man in 616 to have any kids running around. Nobody wants a Spider-baby. They may want a 10 year old Spider-kid... or a Teenage Spider-girl again... but nobody wants a Spider-baby for 10 years. So that timeline would be moving forward in ways that ruin the books.
    Did Luke and Jones' baby's progression 'ruin' any books they featured in over the years? Of course not.

Did the addition of Valeria alongside Franklyn 'ruin' the FF books? Of course not.

Mary Jane's pregnancy actually helped slow down comic book time, which was a benefit. Turning eighteen months into five years.
    Last edited by Matt Rat; 03-31-2022 at 10:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Rat View Post
    Did Luke and Jones' baby's progression 'ruin' any books they featured in over the years? Of course not.
    Spider-Man matters in a way that Luke Cage does not.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Rat View Post
    Did the addition of Valeria alongside Franklyn 'ruin' the FF books? Of course not.
    The FF has always been a "family" book. It works there. Keep the kid stuff in a far flung future. Nobody wants to see a kid.