Page 10 of 176 FirstFirst ... 678910111213142060110 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    What? Do you think everything just magically gets better, all your problems go away, and any character flaws you have vanish when you become an adult?
    Well kinda. Its more like Peter shouldn't be dealing with the same problems he dealt with in highschool and he should instead have different ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Aruran. View Post
    Peter being a loser as an adult is stupid. It's ok for his life to suck when he's in highschool cause he's still a teenager. When he's an adult it becomes a stupid plot idea from the writer to show they aren't really creative. It's ok for a kid to be irresponsible cause they won't know, it's just stupid when an adult acts irresponsible.

Peter being an everyman when he's an adult is also stupid.
    The everyman is typically an adult.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Fantastic Member

...otherwise they'd be an everyboy (or everygirl)

Quote Originally Posted by T.D. View Post
    Much like Dick Grayson taking over as Batman, I would have loved to have seen Otto Octavius as Spider-Man for at least five years before the inevitable return of Peter.
    Quoted for truth. Every issue of Superior just feels so fresh.

The Spider-Totem idea was an interesting new mythical spin on Spidey's origins.

Gwen Stacy should have been the surprise resurrection at the end of One More Day.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 06-03-2014 at 01:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    I don't really think Peter Parker is an "everyman." He's more a wish-fulfillment character. Like Superman but with a bit more pessimism. He only seems like an "everyman" in the grand scheme of the Marvel Universe with characters like Mr. Fantastic, Iron Man, Silver Surfer, Thor, and more running around.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    I don't really think Peter Parker is an "everyman." He's more a wish-fulfillment character. Like Superman but with a bit more pessimism. He only seems like an "everyman" in the grand scheme of the Marvel Universe with characters like Mr. Fantastic, Iron Man, Silver Surfer, Thor, and more running around.
    Heck Hawkeye fits the everyman role better than Peter in the last 5 years.

BANNED

He's an everyman in the sense that the Marvel U. is a sorta mirror image of the real world. Feet of clay and all that jazz.

Fantastic Member

Spider-Man is not an everyman. No superhero is an everyman.

Quote Originally Posted by cyberhubbs View Post
    He's an everyman in the sense that the Marvel U. is a sorta mirror image of the real world. Feet of clay and all that jazz.
    Peter Parker is a super genius. Only in a world with Reed Richards and Tony Stark does he seem like an "everyman."

There was a great article by Chris Sims where he says Spidey is the best super hero. Because in his mind, if we look at super hero as metaphor, Spidey teaches readers that they are going to screw up, and it is going to hurt, but it is possible to get back up.

Fantastic Member

Peter Parker is a super genius. Only in a world with Reed Richards and Tony Stark does he seem like an "everyman."

There was a great article by Chris Sims where he says Spidey is the best super hero. Because in his mind, if we look at super hero as metaphor, Spidey teaches readers that they are going to screw up, and it is going to hurt, but it is possible to get back up.
    In regards to that, Shocker is the real everyman. Or even Doc Ock.
    Last edited by Pako; 06-03-2014 at 04:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pako View Post
    In regards to that, Shocker is the real everyman. Or even Doc Ock.
    Superior Foes does a decent job of showing some of Spidey's rogues as "everyman" type characters (even the villains who are not men).

My comment was purely a response to Arunan's line that "Peter being an everyman when he's an adult is also stupid."

I wanted to note a flaw in the logic that a character being an adult prevents him from being an everyman.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

My comment was purely a response to Arunan's line that "Peter being an everyman when he's an adult is also stupid."

I wanted to note a flaw in the logic that a character being an adult prevents him from being an everyman.
    I think a lot of people overdo it with the "everyman" comment regarding Spidey and forget that there is a lot of "wish fulfillment" going on with the character and there has been since pretty much the start.

BANNED

I think a lot of people overdo it with the "everyman" comment regarding Spidey and forget that there is a lot of "wish fulfillment" going on with the character and there has been since pretty much the start.
    I don't think that those making the claim forget so much as they don't really believe in the concept to begin with. Often times it feels like the everyman complaint is made by those that are looking for a way to give a moral justification to undo the changes they dislike. But those claiming for him to be returned to his everyman origins seem to be the first to either defend or implement changes that arguably take the character away from said roots.

Peter being married to a gorgeous woman ruins his everyman status and ages him too much, but he can become a Doctor and own his own company, which doesn't age him or take away from his everyman status qt all.

Peter being a teacher is unreasonable and makes things too difficult to be Spider-Man and too unnatural, but having a job that he can come and go at his leisure, take items developed by his coworkers for his own benefit, work on super science projects involving things like time travel, and be paid cash funds that solve his money woes somehow doesn't.

I think it's less of a concern for ruining his everyman appeal and more trying to find someway to find a way to give a greater morality for position positions, since it's harder to justify a personal dislike of something and far easier to argue that the change or status quo is somehow harmful or detrimental to the character and his mythos.