Page 102 of 176 FirstFirst ... 252929899100101102103104105106112152 ... LastLast
Results 1,516 to 1,530 of 2628
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    Shower thought I had today:

Black Cat isn't the most toxic ex that Peter had. That would be the symbiote.
    I mean romantic relationship is Cat.Although many couples are far more toxic than them in the MU.For superheros they have a decent romance and a great relationship specially these days and even during MJ marriage, after initial encounter and Flash stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    well he did gave up his marriage for her life maybe we are onto something
    He has known May longer.

I don't buy the(or any romantic) chemistry between Peter and MJ in the MCU. It kind of feels like they're only together because "he's Peter and she's meant to be MJ so they HAVE to be together." But nothing in the previous 2 movies makes me actually buy into their romance or that there'd be any romance whatsoever. The chemistry just doesn't feel romantic imo. I'd buy them as friends or even maybe best friends eventually.. but romance? No, I don't buy it at all tbh. At least not how they're presented in the movies.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Majesty View Post
    I don't buy the(or any romantic) chemistry between Peter and MJ in the MCU. It kind of feels like they're only together because "he's Peter and she's meant to be MJ so they HAVE to be together." But nothing in the previous 2 movies makes me actually buy into their romance or that there'd be any romance whatsoever. The chemistry just doesn't feel romantic imo. I'd buy them as friends or even maybe best friends eventually.. but romance? No, I don't buy it at all tbh. At least not how they're presented in the movies.
    Facts.It's a shame because Peter MJ in comics ooze chemistry.
    And in live action adaptations the bar is very high with TASM Peter Gwen, best romance in CBM imo.

Astonishing Member

Rewatching Spider-Man Unlimited, and I would argue this show proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that Peter Parker can be any race.

The setting on Counter-Earth is very similar to the Pre-Civil Rights America. The humans are segregated under Jim Crowe laws and live in poverty, the beastials are middle-class, and a small percent of beastials rule over both the humans and the middle-class beastials.

So Peter in this world is a persecuted minority no different than a Black American in the 1950s... and he is still very much the same Spider-Man. His stories feel very Spider-Man too.

Sure, the show could have been better, but the premise itself was always fine.

If you can make that work, why is it so taboo for a 21st century Peter to be anything other than white*?

*No, I'm not saying that he can't/shouldn't be white, in case anyone got that impression. Please do not respond to this with that accusation.
    Last edited by Kaitou D. Kid; 09-08-2021 at 07:52 PM.

Rewatching Spider-Man Unlimited, and I would argue this show proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that Peter Parker can be any race.

The setting on Counter-Earth is very similar to the Pre-Civil Rights America. The humans are segregated under Jim Crowe laws and live in poverty, the beastials are middle-class, and a small percent of beastials rule over both the humans and the middle-class beastials.

So Peter in this world is a persecuted minority no different than a Black American in the 1950s... and he still very much feels like Spider-Man. As do his stories. Sure, the show could be better, but the premise itself was always fine.

If you can make that work, why is it so taboo for a 21st century Peter to be anything other than white*?

*No, I'm not saying that he can't/shouldn't be white, in case anyone got that impression. Please do not respond to this with that accusation.
    i barely remember the show from when I was a kid but I do remember some of human vs beast plot. I think its taboo because they probably dont wanna deal with the fan outrage. I mean look at how divided mcu Spider-man is here and the changes is mainly relationships and characterization. Pretty sure a race change will just be huge blowout.
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    i barely remember the show from when I was a kid but I do remember some of human vs beast plot. I think its taboo because they probably dont wanna deal with the fan outrage. I mean look at how divided mcu Spider-man is here and the changes is mainly relationships and characterization. Pretty sure a race change will just be huge blowout.
    I think changes in relationships and characterization are a bigger deal, though.

I just love Spider-Man Unlimited in general. Obviously the show isn't as strong as it could be in some aspects but I think it was a really creative take. A good example of having constraints and making the most of them. The costume is awesome and in general it feels like a cool sci-fi Spidey take with some great social underpinnings to it. I wish it would have gotten its story concluded properly (and no I'm not talking about the Spider-Verse cameo panel, we saw another one in Spider-Geddon so you can bring back anything if you really want).

Extraordinary Member

So Peter in this world is a persecuted minority no different than a Black American in the 1950s... and he is still very much the same Spider-Man. His stories feel very Spider-Man too.

Sure, the show could have been better, but the premise itself was always fine.

As a POC, I don't think Peter's race ever mattered.He related to most of us on a far deeper level than just race or gender, like I haven't sympathized w/ many POC characters who may be going through stuff I am familiar w/, but I have always related to Peter.Idk why.It's not his situations as we said in posts before, it's how he reacts to them.

So I say let him be white because that's one race that plays a minimum/non-existent role in his character.Giving him another race means you are now focusing on that one race, other characters I get it may help but Peter and fans would not benefit from it.Use Miles.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    So I say let him be white because that's one race that plays a minimum/non-existent role in his character.Giving him another race means you are now focusing on that one race, other characters I get it may help but Peter and fans would not benefit from it.Use Miles.
    But it didn't mean that in Spider-Man Unlimited. Spider-Man in that show was a symbol of hope and freedom for both the humans and the beastials oppressed by the High Evolutionary. He never took a side in regards to race, heck in one episode he even gets crap for it from both the humans and beastials. (Spider-Man's body is fully covered, so neither the humans or beastials can tell if he is "one of them" - and this angers both groups when they see Spider-Man helping both humans and beastials in need of his help.)

Anyways, Peter doesn't have to be any other race, but my point is that if it were to happen, it would work and we've had proof since 1999 that it would work.

Extraordinary Member

But it didn't mean that in Spider-Man Unlimited. Spider-Man in that show was a symbol of hope and freedom for both the humans and the beastials oppressed by the High Evolutionary. He never took a side in regards to race, heck in one episode he even gets crap for it from both the humans and beastials. (Spider-Man's body is fully covered, so neither the humans or beastials can tell if he is "one of them" - and this angers both groups when they see Spider-Man helping both humans and beastials in need of his help.)

Anyways, Peter doesn't have to be any other race, but my point is that if it were to happen, it would work and we've had proof since 1999 that it would work.
    I haven't seen the show in so long.I was talking in general.

It worked because they didn't focus on his race, he helped anyone and everyone and got sh*t from all but still continued.Many Spidey stories do this.That's why Spider-man is the definitive hero for many in universe and out.In TASM 2 Andrew says "...guy or girl, we don't know for sure", we can all be inspired by Spider-man regardless of race, gender, etc.

So you are right, as long as they don't make a thing of it Spidey can be any race.

That's why I find Miles so redundant.And when Marvel or fans says you have a Spider-man that look like you/me, they miss the point of Spider-man.Spider-man isn't supposed to look like or be part of any race, gender, etc.It's kinda insulting when we get knockoff heroes w/ diff. races and call it representation.So I don't think Miles is "our Spider-man"(from the game) is a good thing, it goes against the grain of what Spider-man is.Spider-man isn't a hero for a specific community.

We have an alt. version in the multiverse of Spidey who is from my race as well and I like him, but if he was brought to 616 I wouldn't care about him anymore for it.Give me a original hero who has his own identity, that's representation.

Spider-man is like the one hero whose having variation's and calling it diversity doesn't make sense to me.He's meant to inspire everyone.
    Same w/ Superman in DC to a lesser extent because no mask.
    A political mantle like captain America makes sense, that's why Sam Cap is great representation.
    I'd say it could potentially work for most heroes, but Spidey is the one where race and gender should never play a role.
    Last edited by Spiderfan001; 09-09-2021 at 07:56 AM.

Ken Ellis should be used more.

I have so many ideas for Spidey comics -- ideas involving major baddies and one-timers you may barely remember.

Except for one. There's one character that seems to have little to no real story potential.

Of all the A, B, and C List characters,

ELECTRO is the worst.

-Pav, who's only ever really read one excellent Electro story...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

It's good to see some Unlimited love here. I'll keep saying it but I wish Marvel would do a mini-series in the show's continuity to wrap it up at least. I think if it got to finish what it was trying to do people might remember it more fondly.

Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post
    I have so many ideas for Spidey comics -- ideas involving major baddies and one-timers you may barely remember.

Except for one. There's one character that seems to have little to no real story potential.

Of all the A, B, and C List characters,

ELECTRO is the worst.

-Pav, who's only ever really read one excellent Electro story...
    I kinda have to agree, he can be used to good effect in some stories where he's not necessarily a focal point but Electro getting focus and being interesting is a rare sight. I think the Gauntlet Electro story is one of the better ones along with Light The Night, also kinda have a soft spot for his post-Clone Saga return where he was ultra powerful for a hot second. I'm not sure that Francine Electro offers much else but she's got an interesting backstory and had some fun moments throughout the current run so there's some promise where stories could be done with her. Maybe even stories of both the Electro's together could be good, considering their connections.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey_62 View Post
    It's good to see some Unlimited love here. I'll keep saying it but I wish Marvel would do a mini-series in the show's continuity to wrap it up at least. I think if it got to finish what it was trying to do people might remember it more fondly.

I kinda have to agree, he can be used to good effect in some stories where he's not necessarily a focal point but Electro getting focus and being interesting is a rare sight. I think the Gauntlet Electro story is one of the better ones along with Light The Night, also kinda have a soft spot for his post-Clone Saga return where he was ultra powerful for a hot second. I'm not sure that Francine Electro offers much else but she's got an interesting backstory and had some fun moments throughout the current run so there's some promise where stories could be done with her. Maybe even stories of both the Electro's together could be good, considering their connections.

Aw man, I love Electro. While I agree he hasn't been in many GREAT stories he's played a part in a number of good ones and I just like his goofy costume and powerset. Maxwell's Electro at least.... Francine leaves me cold.