Page 119 of 176 FirstFirst ... 1969109115116117118119120121122123129169 ... LastLast
Results 1,771 to 1,785 of 2628
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    Norman managed to knock down Spidey with a single punch in ASM#37, it was a surprise attack, but super strength could be the reason Spidey was knocked down, Spidey even thinks afterwards he was hit by debris:
    There's nothing in there that indicates Norman had super strength. Spider-Man is sturdy, but he's not Superman or the Hulk. A punch to the back of the head is still bad news, when the story calls for it.

During Ditko's run the Green Goblin didn't exhibit super strength. He used weapons to fight. Ditko thought these things through, if the Green Goblin was supposed to have super strength then he'd be shown using super strength.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    I think I liked the idea of a legacy of the Green Goblin more than I've ever actually liked Norman himself. Norman killed Gwen and then he died. Then Peter is constantly dealing with the latest Goblin or the latest whoever that had connections to the Goblin.

It made Norman feel important without having to change who the character actually was.
    I feel exactly the same. However, he has now been resurrected longer than he was dead so I'm pretty sure they're never going to reverse it.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    There's nothing in there that indicates Norman had super strength. Spider-Man is sturdy, but he's not Superman or the Hulk. A punch to the back of the head is still bad news, when the story calls for it.
    Spidey casually tanked a bunch of goons attacking him in ASM#33 and was using that to rest:

Keep in mind this was after he lifted that big ass machine, and almost drowning, he's tired and hurt, if regular people were supposed to knock him down here, then it would've happened after so many punches were thrown.

Meanwhile Norman knocked out Spidey in one punch... While this could be bad writing, villains in ASM very often got enhanced strength for no reason, Otto and Electro are few exceptions, it's possible Norman isn't another exception, and that he didn't use super-strength before before his gadgets meant he didn't really need it.

Or, again, could be just bad writing, that happens too lol.

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    I feel exactly the same. However, he has now been resurrected longer than he was dead so I'm pretty sure they're never going to reverse it.
    If they didn't reverse soon after it was done, they certainly aren't going to reverse it after stories like Revenge of Green Goblin, Mark Waid's Marvel Knights, Dark Reign and so on lol.

The closest thing to killing him off is his current state where he's not evil, and that's 'cause of Kindred's sin bullshit, and it's gonna be as permanent as that time AXIS made Sabretooth into a good guy.

Astonishing Member

Spidey casually tanked a bunch of goons attacking him in ASM#33 and was using that to rest:

Keep in mind this was after he lifted that big ass machine, and almost drowning, he's tired and hurt, if regular people were supposed to knock him down here, then it would've happened after so many punches were thrown.

Meanwhile Norman knocked out Spidey in one punch... While this could be bad writing, villains in ASM very often got enhanced strength for no reason, Otto and Electro are few exceptions, it's possible Norman isn't another exception, and that he didn't use super-strength before before his gadgets meant he didn't really need it.

Or, again, could be just bad writing, that happens too lol.
    #33 had Spider-Man pushing his limits, more determined than ever. The story called for him to persevere. He's not taking those beatings casually, but he's prepared for them and determined to save Aunt May. #37's story called for him to take the hit, which he wasn't prepared for.

In his first appearance, the Green Goblin hires the Enforcers, three non-powered villains, to fight Spider-Man on his behalf. In this and all subsequent Ditko Green Goblin stories, he doesn't engage with Spider-Man in hand to hand combat, he relies purely on weaponry. He doesn't perform any other feats of super-strength either, like lifting heavy objects or tearing down doors. Ditko's Green Goblin/Norman simply didn't have super powers.

Very few of Ditko's Spider-Man villains had super strength, but this was the somewhat more down to earth Spider-Man that could be completely wiped out by a common cold. When Ditko did introduce a super-strong villain, like Scorpion, you saw his feats of strength on the page.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    #33 had Spider-Man pushing his limits, more determined than ever. The story called for him to persevere. He's not taking those beatings casually, but he's prepared for them and determined to save Aunt May. #37's story called for him to take the hit, which he wasn't prepared for.

In his first appearance, the Green Goblin hires the Enforcers, three non-powered villains, to fight Spider-Man on his behalf. In this and all subsequent Ditko Green Goblin stories, he doesn't engage with Spider-Man in hand to hand combat, he relies purely on weaponry. He doesn't perform any other feats of super-strength either, like lifting heavy objects or tearing down doors. Ditko's Green Goblin/Norman simply didn't have super powers.
    Spidey specifically mentions that it's thanks to his Spider-strength he's even tanking all of those hits and it takes a while for them to actually hurt him, that is clearly written on the pages, meanwhile Norman knocks him down with one punch, and Spidey says afterwards he must've been hit by debris with how much he got hurt, any excuse about "Oh he was just determined in ASM#33" doesn't work when, again, Spidey points out it's thanks to his spider-strength he's even tanking all of this.

Also worth pointing out that back when he fought Mysterio back in ASM#13, Mysterio used that gas to do surprise attacks on Spidey, he wasn't knocked down by them.

So yeah, this is either indication that Norman has super-strength, or bad writing, don't see how it could be anything else lol.

Very few of Ditko's Spider-Man villains had super strength, but this was the somewhat more down to earth Spider-Man that could be completely wiped out by a common cold. When Ditko did introduce a super-strong villain, like Scorpion, you saw his feats of strength on the page.
    Kraven, Scorpion, Looter, Lizard, Molten Man, Joe (If you count that as a villain)... Okay, "very often" was wrong, but it's still significant, specially how random Looter's and Joe's cases are to give them super-strength.

Astonishing Member

I still say that JMS Aunt May was bland and boring, so I don't know why anyone misses her. She was basically MCU Aunt May.

It's funny how the soap opera elements are the thing that make Spider-Man so popular, yet it's also the cause of most of its problems.
    Last edited by PCN24454; 12-12-2021 at 07:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    I still say that JMS Aunt May was bland and boring, so I don't know why anyone misses her. She was basically MCU Aunt May.
    Wasn't that when Aunt May that learn Peter was Spider man? Thought that the peak of her character. MCU May doesn't cause Peter any problems probably why I like her. Her and PS4 Aunt May are probably my favorite iterations of her
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    Wasn't that when Aunt May that learn Peter was Spider man? Thought that the peak of her character. MCU May doesn't cause Peter any problems probably why I like her. Her and PS4 Aunt May are probably my favorite iterations of her
    Peter never tells her that he's Spider-Man; she just stumbles upon it which is a trope that I vehemently hate.

While I think that conflict is overrated, having her be absorbed into the Spider-Man life feels like it degrades her character heavily.

EDIT: I was never moved by ANY of her death scenes either. It was the equivalent of throwing out the trash to me.
    Last edited by PCN24454; 12-12-2021 at 07:30 PM.

Peter never tells her that he's Spider-Man; she just stumbles upon it which is a trope that I vehemently hate.

While I think that conflict is overrated, having her be absorbed into the Spider-Man life feels like it degrades her character heavily.

EDIT: I was never moved by ANY of her death scenes either. It was the equivalent of throwing out the trash to me.
    Isn't that how MJ knows she just stumbles upon it. I can't really imagine what's would be the best time for her to know. I mean technically she is in her late 70s. Her health is already bad as it is and even though she keeps living thru everything. She going to be involved in Spiderman life regardless considering writers love making Spider man cause issues for Peter Parker life. I don't have many expectations for her character yeah it's Peter mom but idk she wasn't my cup of tea

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Astonishing Member

Spidey specifically mentions that it's thanks to his Spider-strength he's even tanking all of those hits and it takes a while for them to actually hurt him, that is clearly written on the pages, meanwhile Norman knocks him down with one punch, and Spidey says afterwards he must've been hit by debris with how much he got hurt, any excuse about "Oh he was just determined in ASM#33" doesn't work when, again, Spidey points out it's thanks to his spider-strength he's even tanking all of this.

Also worth pointing out that back when he fought Mysterio back in ASM#13, Mysterio used that gas to do surprise attacks on Spidey, he wasn't knocked down by them.

So yeah, this is either indication that Norman has super-strength, or bad writing, don't see how it could be anything else lol.
    It's dramatic license, or what you would define as bad writing. Strength levels in super-hero stories are flexible, resistance to injury even more so. They aren't dealing with hard numbers like a video game RPG. Spider-Man got sucker punched because the story called for it. He beat up all those goons because the story called for it. The storytellers rig the fights.

If Ditko intended for Green Goblin to have super strength then he would have shown the Green Goblin displaying feats of strength and engaging in hand to hand combat.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    Isn't that how MJ knows she just stumbles upon it. I can't really imagine what's would be the best time for her to know. I mean technically she is in her late 70s. Her health is already bad as it is and even though she keeps living thru everything. She going to be involved in Spiderman life regardless considering writers love making Spider man cause issues for Peter Parker life. I don't have many expectations for her character yeah it's Peter mom but idk she wasn't my cup of tea
    Yes, MJ, did stumble upon it and I hated it even more then. Seriously, Peter proposed to her before telling her his secret. How did he think their marriage was going to go? Was he just going to sneak out of their bedroom anytime he wanted to fight crime? It shows immaturity on Peter's part that he even thinks he can keep her in the dark like that.

With Aunt May, part of the reason why he doesn't tell her is because he doesn't want to own up to his failure to stop the burglar that killed Ben. Having her find out from an outside source helps to sidestep that issue which also is one of the things keeping Peter young. He gives up his own agency.

Yes, MJ, did stumble upon it and I hated it even more then. Seriously, Peter proposed to her before telling her his secret. How did he think their marriage was going to go? Was he just going to sneak out of their bedroom anytime he wanted to fight crime? It shows immaturity on Peter's part that he even thinks he can keep her in the dark like that.

With Aunt May, part of the reason why he doesn't tell her is because he doesn't want to own up to his failure to stop the burglar that killed Ben. Having her find out from an outside source helps to sidestep that issue which also is one of the things keeping Peter young. He gives up his own agency.
    huh you are right. What would be his excuse to fight crime and then come back injured? I guess he could use his job as a photographer lol. and i think you nail the issue we they gotta keep Peter young

May's first death isn't anything like fridging.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    May's first death isn't anything like fridging.
    Someone actually compared May’s tragic and heartfelt passing in ASM#400 to “fridging”…? For real? Wow. Calling every death ever “fridging” is like the new Godwin’s Law for comics.

I have to assume the poster in question never even read the comic because I can’t imagine anyone who actually has would make that ridiculous comparison.

Topher Grace and Tom Hardy are both good choices for Eddie Brock for different reasons.