Page 120 of 176 FirstFirst ... 2070110116117118119120121122123124130170 ... LastLast
Results 1,786 to 1,800 of 2633
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    I have to assume the poster in question never even read the comic because I can’t imagine anyone who actually has would make that ridiculous comparison.
    I have different opinion than you, so naturally, I must be delusional.

It might be a case of "Seinfeld is Unfunny" to me, but it plays out like every death scene in fiction does.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    I have different opinion than you, so naturally, I must be delusional.

It might be a case of "Seinfeld is Unfunny" to me, but it plays out like every death scene in fiction does.
    Different opinions are fine, but implying Aunt May’s passing in ASM#400 was a “fridging” makes as much sense as a Kindred monologue.

Extraordinary Member

Different opinions are fine, but implying Aunt May’s passing in ASM#400 was a “fridging” makes as much sense as a Kindred monologue.
    Fr

So tired of every death of a female character being called fridging

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    Fr

So tired of every death of a female character being called fridging
    True, I never heard the death of Jason Todd or Uncle Ben referred to as “fridging.” It’s a lazy catch-all term. Yes, sometimes it’s appropriate, but way overused like most cliches people carelessly toss around when they lack understanding about something (I still don’t think he read the issue).

Astonishing Member

True, I never heard the death of Jason Todd or Uncle Ben referred to as “fridging.” It’s a lazy catch-all term. Yes, sometimes it’s appropriate, but way overused like most cliches people carelessly toss around when they lack understanding about something (I still don’t think he read the issue).
    The story arc bored me. It felt dragged out.

Jason Todd was fridged. Uncle Ben is debatable.

I think shows that it’s fridging because people don’t actually care about her beyond her being Peter’s aunt.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    The story arc bored me. It felt dragged out.

Jason Todd was fridged. Uncle Ben is debatable.

I think shows that it’s fridging because people don’t actually care about her beyond her being Peter’s aunt.
    Okay, so you basically think every death in comics is “fridging”…

Fridging is an annoyingly arbitrary term anyways.

One of the many meanings it has is "kill a character who's a nobody to make main character suffer", if we go by this meaning, uncle Ben's death is definitely fridging.

The original meaning was Gail Simone just listing women being killed for the sake of a male character becoming sad, in that case, male characters can't be fridged, since she put emphasis on the women being killed, and hell, possibly women can't be fridged if it's to make another woman suffer too.

Another meaning is an established character being killed for the sake of making the main character suffer, in that case, aunt May's death is fridging.

The way TV tropes defines it is basically "someone else gets killed or made to suffer for another character to be motivated", and at best says it's seen as bad writing, but that's just more arbitrariness being thrown into ****, 'cause by that meaning you can say what happened to Barbara in Killing Joke is fridging, which, even if people who like the story may disagree, but Alan Moore himself started to think that the way he used Barbara was bad, he possibly would define it as fridging.

So yeah, whining about what is and isn't considered fridging is hella arbitrary by default, and it gets far, far worse when we remember such terms change from person to person 'cause everyone else has their own arbitrary values about such things, specially since fridging is used, and practically seen as, someone saying "I don't like how this character died", and that's meh.

Instead of spies/researchers, I'd have Peter's parents be reformed drug addicts.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    Instead of spies/researchers, I'd have Peter's parents be reformed drug addicts.
    okay. But why?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post

One of the many meanings it has is "kill a character who's a nobody to make main character suffer", if we go by this meaning, uncle Ben's death is definitely fridging.

The original meaning was Gail Simone just listing women being killed for the sake of a male character becoming sad, in that case, male characters can't be fridged, since she put emphasis on the women being killed, and hell, possibly women can't be fridged if it's to make another woman suffer too.

Another meaning is an established character being killed for the sake of making the main character suffer, in that case, aunt May's death is fridging.

The way TV tropes defines it is basically "someone else gets killed or made to suffer for another character to be motivated", and at best says it's seen as bad writing, but that's just more arbitrariness being thrown into ****, 'cause by that meaning you can say what happened to Barbara in Killing Joke is fridging, which, even if people who like the story may disagree, but Alan Moore himself started to think that the way he used Barbara was bad, he possibly would define it as fridging.

So yeah, whining about what is and isn't considered fridging is hella arbitrary by default, and it gets far, far worse when we remember such terms change from person to person 'cause everyone else has their own arbitrary values about such things, specially since fridging is used, and practically seen as, someone saying "I don't like how this character died", and that's meh.
    All this.Also it happens more to female characters because more male characters are the main ones.In female lead stories chances are male characters are fridged

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    okay. But why?
    It's a down to earth way to keep them in Peter's life without taking away from Aunt May and Uncle Ben. It also deepens the responsibility conversation. It's not a necessity but just an angle you could take.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 12-16-2021 at 06:26 AM.

Purely speculative but SpiderMan No Way Home looks like the best one yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post

Yep, this. Doesn't matter if it's a woman... doesn't matter if it's an 'established' character. The trope is all about this idea that all characters should have agency and there are no such things as 'main characters' and 'supporting characters'. If a character's death is there to motivate someone on to greater heroics... It's a 'fridging'.

My controversial opinion.... I LOVE Fridging. Every RPG character I've ever made has a list of family, friends, and loved ones that the DM can threaten to motivate my character. It's really writing 101. Everyone from Aunt May to Robin, to The Waynes to Gwen to Uncle ben... Their deaths were there for the sole purpose of making the heroes better. and it WORKS.

I can't believe the momentum that this complaint fad has gotten, especially over 'Alexis'. She literally was in the book 2 issues before her death got Kyle off the couch and into avenging mode. It wasn't an insult to her character... it was the PURPOSE of her character.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    Yep, this. Doesn't matter if it's a woman... doesn't matter if it's an 'established' character. The trope is all about this idea that all characters should have agency and there are no such things as 'main characters' and 'supporting characters'. If a character's death is there to motivate someone on to greater heroics... It's a 'fridging'.

My controversial opinion.... I LOVE Fridging. Every RPG character I've ever made has a list of family, friends, and loved ones that the DM can threaten to motivate my character. It's really writing 101. Everyone from Aunt May to Robin, to The Waynes to Gwen to Uncle ben... Their deaths were there for the sole purpose of making the heroes better. and it WORKS.

I can't believe the momentum that this complaint fad has gotten, especially over 'Alexis'. She literally was in the book 2 issues before her death got Kyle off the couch and into avenging mode. It wasn't an insult to her character... it was the PURPOSE of her character.
    It does matter that it was a woman. That was the whole point.

As with everything, we now have loud binary pro and anti fridgers who only see the simplest of elements without understanding the thing they're for or against.

The POINT of terming the phrase "fridging" was that Gail saw women in comics being used as murder fodder with increased frequency and excessive violence. Almost to the point of fetish. This had escalated massively from the mid-80's through to the 90's and she felt that it was disgusting, misogynistic, degrading and excluded real world girls/women from the medium.

She wasn't wrong, the whole era is pretty disgusting when viewed through that lens.

There's a huge difference between being murdered off screen and stuffed into a fridge just to make Kyle angry/sad for an issue (he was going to be GL regardless), and Superman's noble, heroic self-sacrificing death. Ice's turn to madness and death vs Batman defeating an army of foes to finally fall at the last.

Even if you compare it to Uncle Ben's death, serving the same narrative purpose, there is so much dignity in Ben's death. It not only taught Peter several important life lessons but also put him on the path to become a great hero. Alexis' death was for shock value and pushed Kyle to... what? Be angry then sad for a bit? Ben's death was to create Spider-man as a hero. Alexis' death was there because of an outdated 'heroes need tragedy' trope and was presented with absolutely no dignity whatsoever. Frankly, it's laugh out loud garbage.

Alexis could have served the exact same purpose if Major Force had broken in, threatened her and she'd left Kyle out of fear.

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    I LOVE Fridging.
    The fact that you can't see the difference between the deaths of Alexis and Aerith, Aunt May or the Waynes just goes to show you don't love "fridging." You don't even understand it.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    It does matter that it was a woman. That was the whole point.

As with everything, we now have loud binary pro and anti fridgers who only see the simplest of elements without understanding the thing they're for or against.

The POINT of terming the phrase "fridging" was that Gail saw women in comics being used as murder fodder with increased frequency and excessive violence. Almost to the point of fetish. This had escalated massively from the mid-80's through to the 90's and she felt that it was disgusting, misogynistic, degrading and excluded real world girls/women from the medium.

She wasn't wrong, the whole era is pretty disgusting when viewed through that lens.

There's a huge difference between being murdered off screen and stuffed into a fridge just to make Kyle angry/sad for an issue (he was going to be GL regardless), and Superman's noble, heroic self-sacrificing death. Ice's turn to madness and death vs Batman defeating an army of foes to finally fall at the last.

Even if you compare it to Uncle Ben's death, serving the same narrative purpose, there is so much dignity in Ben's death. It not only taught Peter several important life lessons but also put him on the path to become a great hero. Alexis' death was for shock value and pushed Kyle to... what? Be angry then sad for a bit? Ben's death was to create Spider-man as a hero. Alexis' death was there because of an outdated 'heroes need tragedy' trope and was presented with absolutely no dignity whatsoever. Frankly, it's laugh out loud garbage.

Alexis could have served the exact same purpose if Major Force had broken in, threatened her and she'd left Kyle out of fear.

The fact that you can't see the difference between the deaths of Alexis and Aerith, Aunt May or the Waynes just goes to show you don't love "fridging." You don't even understand it.
    Alfred's death which was done only to make Bruce angry and he had no agency in it felt a lot more like fridging than a lot of the ones people call fridging nowadays

If Uncle Ben had just been injured or put in a coma instead of killed the shock would have turned Peter to a very similar path he is on now.There was no need to kill him off.

And your Major Force thing was done by Venom to MJ, which may have been retconned to actually physically hit her but either ways.Not sure which came first anyway, just saying if it came later it would be a copy.

I think the lack of dignity was the point or one of the major ones in Alexis's death.There's nothing left to cling on, it's a "we attack the heart" philosophy.(still gross but I think that's the point)

btw I agree fridging was a problem back then, and even is now from time to time but people label every death of a female character fridging these days and much like the terms woke or SJW's it's lost it's meaning because of the overuse of the term.Death is a large factor is most stories