Page 127 of 176 FirstFirst ... 2777117123124125126127128129130131137 ... LastLast
Results 1,891 to 1,905 of 2633

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    That's not a rebuttal; it's an excuse.
    I'm not really seeing the issue, personally?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'm not really seeing the issue, personally?
    It's the "oh well, things could be worse" excuse. It's the excuse that seemingly high-functioning addicts like to use before they spiral out of control.

He's basically trying to give himself an excuse for whenever he loses or fails something. His social life is a mess? Blame Spider-Man! Couldn't be an effective superhero? Blame Peter Parker!

It's just not very mature to live and die by your excuses and is arguably one of the core reasons why people say that Peter can't grow up.

Quote Originally Posted by 90'sCartoonMan View Post
    No surprise there. Who wants to pay money for pictures of Jameson?
    That was supposed to say "to Jameson" but that error there does make for a funny mental picture.

Didn't Byrne update it to a laptop at one point?
    He did, and later writers ignored the retcon, much like the rest of his Chapter One changes.

I feel like Electro could do with some more time to develop in the spotlight, despite his theatrical debut and subsequent appearances.

Astonishing Member

It's the "oh well, things could be worse" excuse. It's the excuse that seemingly high-functioning addicts like to use before they spiral out of control.

He's basically trying to give himself an excuse for whenever he loses or fails something. His social life is a mess? Blame Spider-Man! Couldn't be an effective superhero? Blame Peter Parker!

It's just not very mature to live and die by your excuses and is arguably one of the core reasons why people say that Peter can't grow up.
    What would be the point of a well adjusted Peter Parker who has his **** together?

Quote Originally Posted by 90'sCartoonMan View Post
    No surprise there. Who wants to pay money for pictures of Jameson?
    People who recognize his greatness, clearly.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    He did, and later writers ignored the retcon, much like the rest of his Chapter One changes.
    Man, was anything from Chapter One even salvageable? Lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    What would be the point of a well adjusted Peter Parker who has his **** together?
    Did I mention I hate soap operas?

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    There is a huge middle ground between Peter having no problems and remaining a self-sabotaging idiot.

Astonishing Member

Did I mention I hate soap operas?
    Marvel comics are soap operas.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    Yeah, it's hard to find an opinion absolutely nobody agrees with, if not impossible, after all, in the X-Men side we have a few people who don't think Claremont is that good of a writer, doesn't change the fact that in fanbases, there's stuff fans usually agree with.

Lol, so by pointing out this one specific opinion isn't controversial I'm gatekeeping, nevermind that at no point I said you can't post such things, and that I'm not the only one who pointed out "This isn't controversial". Can't wait to see how you react to someone actually gatekeeping you.

I also wonder what a resurrected Gwen would do, at the end of the day, she was just a love interest, and Peter is with MJ now, what would Gwen do as a support character then?
    Date Ben would be my preference if they had to bring her back.
    But she should also get her life back together. Go back to college maybe.
    I'd support a viable Gwen clone before I'd suggest bringing the real one back.
    Honestly, I'm not even a Gwen fan, but the potential to do new stories with a Gwen clone seems strong enough to make it worthwhile.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    Man, was anything from Chapter One even salvageable? Lol.
    There's only one thing I can think of.
    In the original comics, Chameleon was able to send Spider-man some kind of message over his Spider-senses. He was supposedly working for the commies back then. Later Dr. Doom would show up with the same ability to send messages through Peter's Spider senses.

Chapter One changed it to Chameleon was working for Dr. Doom.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by witchboy View Post
    Date Ben would be my preference if they had to bring her back.
    But she should also get her life back together. Go back to college maybe.
    I'd support a viable Gwen clone before I'd suggest bringing the real one back.
    Honestly, I'm not even a Gwen fan, but the potential to do new stories with a Gwen clone seems strong enough to make it worthwhile.
    I wouldn’t do a Gwen clone since it would betray the spirit of not resurrecting her.

Besides, I already said that I hate soap operas, so I wouldn’t want her resurrected just for it to be more melodrama.

Quote Originally Posted by Blind Wedjat View Post
    'Bully Maguire' is just a defence mechanism used by Raimi fanboys who don't realise or refuse to admit that Tobey Maguire's actual performance as Spider-Man isn't really all that great, and downright cringey at times.

I also don't think he gets overpraised as Spider-Man because he was surrounded by a great cast and great writing and directing. Tobey Maguire himself has never been considered a great actor.

Likewise, they entire "Andrew Garfield is a better Spider-Man than Peter Parker, and Tobey Maguire is a better Peter Parker than Spider-Man" talking point has become so overused and regurgitated that I don't even think it makes much sense. Not only was/is Andrew Garfield a great Peter AND Spidey (who unlike Tobey, shined on his own but didn't have that stellar writing all the time), but his interpretation of the character makes sense depending on the comic run inspiration was pulled from and also makes sense for the time those movies were made. Same goes for Tobey whose Peter was heavily inspired by Christopher Reeve's Superman and how nerd/geek culture was depicted at the time.

The only real difference is that Andrew Garfield is a far more talented actor than Tobey.
    People tend to fixate on Garfield's overconfidence but I saw that as an intentional flaw. Garfield's take on Peter felt like he could be his own worst enemy. So him coming across as arrogant and off-putting fits that angle.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 01-05-2022 at 09:15 AM.

But when you see how his actual life works, isn't that exactly how it comes off as though? I mean, if he was really making excuses he wouldn't still try to commit himself as much as he does and just give up on one side of his life.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    There's only one thing I can think of.
    In the original comics, Chameleon was able to send Spider-man some kind of message over his Spider-senses. He was supposedly working for the commies back then. Later Dr. Doom would show up with the same ability to send messages through Peter's Spider senses.

Chapter One changed it to Chameleon was working for Dr. Doom.
    That would work, it was weird that Chameleon managed to come up with a device like that when he hasn't shown being good with tech since then, connecting both would work in this case.

I wouldn’t do a Gwen clone since it would betray the spirit of not resurrecting her.
    Clones are treated like they're the originals nowadays, as long as the original is dead that is, so while Clone Conspiracy has Peter saying that the Gwen there isn't actually Gwen, she is with how ASM itself defined afterwards (By having Strange say that the Billy clone is the real deal in ASM#21 vol 5).
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then