Page 134 of 176 FirstFirst ... 3484124130131132133134135136137138144 ... LastLast
Results 1,996 to 2,010 of 2633
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    Ehhhh Ben as a supporting character would suck too. He's pretty much an equal in all ways to Peter... Better in some. Always was. Supporting characters and sidekicks should be 'weaker' than the main character they support. Just on general principle.
    Why exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    Why exactly?
    So they don't outshine the main character, I guess?

Why exactly?
    You don't want them to upstage the main hero. But Marvel tends to be flawed heroes and Peter is an underdog. So having the others be better at certain things make sense.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 03-10-2022 at 01:13 PM.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

West Coast is what you do for when you want to throw away a character.
    Not entirely true.

Avengers West Coast had a great run.
    Daredevil had a great run out there.
    Moon Knight by Bendis was just poorly executed.

How many characters have had placements on the West Coast anyway?
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Extraordinary Member

I'm kinda sick of MJ.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    I'm kinda sick of MJ.
    Mostly her fans. You’d be forgiven for thinking that she was Spider-Man considering how she’s more talked about than all the other Spider characters combined.

Extraordinary Member

Mostly her fans. You’d be forgiven for thinking that she was Spider-Man considering how she’s more talked about than all the other Spider characters combined.
    For me it's mostly editorial's push of her. Like, we get it, you think she's important already. I realize that she's one of the rare supporting character love interests that actually got married to the lead, but I never really considered her his Lois.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

For me it's mostly editorial's push of her. Like, we get it, you think she's important already. I realize that she's one of the rare supporting character love interests that actually got married to the lead, but I never really considered her his Lois.
    Editorial has this really weird view of her where they'll push her but then arbitrarily pull her away. OMD and OMIT being the prime examples. Then she spent 10 years (minus the RYV mini) being pulled away of Editorial pulling her away. It's just that nobody cares when they try to create new love interests and then they inevitably bring MJ back because nobody cares about any other potential love interest.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    Editorial has this really weird view of her where they'll push her but then arbitrarily pull her away. OMD and OMIT being the prime examples. Then she spent 10 years (minus the RYV mini) being pulled away of Editorial pulling her away. It's just that nobody cares when they try to create new love interests and then they inevitably bring MJ back because nobody cares about any other potential love interest.
    I mean, I understand that romance is a huge part of the Spider-Man mythos (as it should be), but I guess I just don't get why editorial feel as if they have to tie him down to any particular love interest for a lengthy period of time. Like, don't get me wrong - I don't think he should be a player or anything - but why can't he just be Peter for a little bit? I don't think it would necessarily be out of character for him to focus on himself for a period of time.

I mean, I understand that romance is a huge part of the Spider-Man mythos (as it should be), but I guess I just don't get why editorial feel as if they have to tie him down to any particular love interest for a lengthy period of time. Like, don't get me wrong - I don't think he should be a player or anything - but why can't he just be Peter for a little bit? I don't think it would necessarily be out of character for him to focus on himself for a period of time.
    Wasn’t the point of much of the last run to show how Peter can’t just be himself wIthout MJ in his life because she is the only thing that pulls him back into living as Peter Parker and not losing himself more and more to the mask?

We literally had 10 years of this from OMD to the start of Nick Spencer's run. The few months that RYV were being published being something of an exception. The fact that you're treating that era as such is proof enough that it didn't work.

Extraordinary Member

We literally had 10 years of this from OMD to the start of Nick Spencer's run. The few months that RYV were being published being something of an exception. The fact that you're treating that era as such is proof enough that it didn't work.
    Honestly, I've just dipped in and out since JMS's run. I've noticed a particular push the past few years, though, and I'm already sick of it.

Honestly, I've just dipped in and out since JMS's run. I've noticed a particular push the past few years, though, and I'm already sick of it.
    The push of the last few years is definitely in response to the BND/Slott era that pulled her away to the point that she was a supporting character in Iron Man for a while.

(It's true and it was weird.)

Extraordinary Member

The push of the last few years is definitely in response to the BND/Slott era that pulled her away to the point that she was a supporting character in Iron Man for a while.

(It's true and it was weird.)
    I remember that. That was odd.

Like, I guess I don't mind them being together, but the whole thing just feels too much like a "will they, won't they" kind of thing. If they're together I just don't want them to make it such a huge thing. I just kind of want it to just be if that makes any sense. Treat it like it's special because of course it is, but not make every story revolve around it, you know?

I remember that. That was odd.

Like, I guess I don't mind them being together, but the whole thing just feels too much like a "will they, won't they" kind of thing. If they're together I just don't want them to make it such a huge thing. I just kind of want it to just be if that makes any sense. Treat it like it's special because of course it is, but not make every story revolve around it, you know?
    I get'cha. Not every story needs to revolve around her. But I don't think that was true even after they got back together. There was a period around 30 issues in Spencer's run where MJ just wasn't around (since she was off filming a movie) and only appeared in flashbacks or something. So it isn't like she was in every story or anything even after she and Peter got back together. She's been mostly kept on the sides during the Spider-Man: Beyond era (with an exception here or there like the team-up issue with Black Cat).