Page 154 of 176 FirstFirst ... 54104144150151152153154155156157158164 ... LastLast
Results 2,296 to 2,310 of 2628
    Fantastic Member

I don’t want a “spider-family”
    Yes, Peter with a kid and that stuff would be good but that is different that having a spider-family like what DC do to all his characters, I think it’s a big difference between these two concepts

Astonishing Member CaptainUniverse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by spiderlink View Post
    I don’t want a “spider-family”
    Yes, Peter with a kid and that stuff would be good but that is different that having a spider-family like what DC do to all his characters, I think it’s a big difference between these two concepts
    Oh, so the term "Spider-Family" means like how Batman has Robin, Batgirl, Batwoman, etc as part of some family-esque team?
    "The Enigma Force is not a tool to be manipulated by mortals. The Enigma Force comes to those it deems worthy. What temerity, what arrogance, makes you think you are worthy? Have you not all made mistakes? Unforgiveable ones?" - Captain Universe

"Call me an Avenging Angel, Baron, come to safeguard Earth...call me CAPTAIN UNIVERSE!" - Ray Coffin

"You're my heart, Mary Jane Watson...you're my jackpot." - Peter Parker

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    I'd say they would have more to do with personal responsibility with romance coming in a close second.
    I think it's connected at least in the sense of choosing personal responsibility tends to have an impact on his loved ones, though it's not always romantic (even if it often is).
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainUniverse View Post
    Oh, so the term "Spider-Family" means like how Batman has Robin, Batgirl, Batwoman, etc as part of some family-esque team?
    Yeah, pretty much. At least from what I've seen.

Personally I like Peter's AU kids but I'm not sure I need to see 616 Peter with a kid.

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    I'm not advocating for any love interest in particular (honest), but I will never understand the unbridled adulation when it comes to Mary Jane to the point where it seems as if some even want her to co-headline his books.
    People like MJ. It's that simple.

That said, I find the attitude many MJ fans have towards Gwen to be rather insufferable.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Yeah, pretty much. At least from what I've seen.

Personally I like Peter's AU kids but I'm not sure I need to see 616 Peter with a kid.
    Ah. Well...for me personally I would actually like to see how it would all pan out for 616 Peter. And besides...if Blade and Spider-Woman can be allowed to have kids then Peter and Mary Jane should be allowed to get their daughter back along with their marriage. But that's just me, I can't speak for anyone else.
    "The Enigma Force is not a tool to be manipulated by mortals. The Enigma Force comes to those it deems worthy. What temerity, what arrogance, makes you think you are worthy? Have you not all made mistakes? Unforgiveable ones?" - Captain Universe

"Call me an Avenging Angel, Baron, come to safeguard Earth...call me CAPTAIN UNIVERSE!" - Ray Coffin

Fantastic Member

Ah. Well...for me personally I would actually like to see how it would all pan out for 616 Peter. And besides...if Blade and Spider-Woman can be allowed to have kids then Peter and Mary Jane should be allowed to get their daughter back along with their marriage. But that's just me, I can't speak for anyone else.
    I mean, Peter is more popular that those characters so I don’t think they are the best examples, maybe you could compare to Superman and Batman, they have children, but being honest it’s not exactly the same the situations of those characters with Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    People like MJ. It's that simple.

That said, I find the attitude many MJ fans have towards Gwen to be rather insufferable.
    I think it's some people being rather defensive because Marvel Editorial themselves send the message that downplays Peter x MJ, usually when they are propping up Gwen. (Some of the people who worked on The Amazing Spider-Man movies also pushed a rather unhealthy message about Peter x MJ when they were promoting TASM, which prominently featured Gwen. Some of that stuff was really uncalled for, and I think some people are still naturally defensive because of that stuff.)

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    I think it's some people being rather defensive because Marvel Editorial themselves send the message that downplays Peter x MJ, usually when they are propping up Gwen. (Some of the people who worked on The Amazing Spider-Man movies also pushed a rather unhealthy message about Peter x MJ when they were promoting TASM, which prominently featured Gwen. Some of that stuff was really uncalled for, and I think some people are still naturally defensive because of that stuff.)
    Oh I remember that. It got super nasty.

The solution of course: Peter x Gwen x MJ. Polyamoryjane.
    harryosborn.net -Me rereading every single comic that has Harry Osborn in it, and also writing some articles.

I mean, Peter is more popular that those characters so I don’t think they are the best examples, maybe you could compare to Superman and Batman, they have children, but being honest it’s not exactly the same the situations of those characters with Peter
    The concept of a character's popularity determining whether they can be a parent or not in a comic book is an archaic notion, one that is best left in the past, it is also clearly an excuse given the overwhelmingly positive response to Peter B. and MJ having Mayday in ATSV. People love Spider-Man and are not going to outright abandon him just because he has taken on the added responsibility of being a parent regardless of what Marvel Editorial or their ardent supporters believe. The main point is, Marvel is allowing other superheroes to grow while forcibly stunting Peter's growth so he can occupy a position he outgrew a long time ago, it is time for all of that to come to an end, there is no reason whatsoever that it cannot.

The problem with giving Peter a child is that children are just difficult to write without writing them as either twee or as miniature adults. Also they are difficult to include in plots: they can't really make adult decisions and they shouldn't be put in positions where they have to. That leaves them as either rescue-objects or as constraints upon what the lead character can do (I can't do a preemptive strike on Otto's plan because the babysitter hasn't turned up). Neither of those are good permanent roles for a character. Franklin Richards was always I believe a problem for FF writers.

I think there are some really strong emotional beats that would come from Peter and MJ having a child - especially if they find that May is still alive - but there's serious difficulties for the long term series.

I suppose it's a bit like the mirror image of character death. A well-written character death may be a moving and effective story, but then that character isn't available for future writers to use. There are moving stories to tell about having a child or rediscovering a child in the case of May but then future writers have to use that character.
    Last edited by Daibhidh; 01-05-2023 at 04:24 AM.
    Petrus Maria Johannaque sunt nubendi

I mean, some people don't enjoy Blade and Spider-Woman having kids (especially Blade because the daughter character just came out of nowhere).

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I mean, some people don't enjoy Blade and Spider-Woman having kids (especially Blade because the daughter character just came out of nowhere).
    *raises hand*

And I maintain that Peter would give up being Spider-man in a heartbeat, or soon thereafter, if he had a kid.

Astonishing Member

I feel like the foundation for Dad Peter has to be more JMS than MC2 and RYV. At least in 616.

JMS Peter was not only great at connecting with kids, he also wasn't a conventional teacher. By that logic, he wouldn't be a conventional father either. No disrespect to MC2, RYV, and Life Story, but their take on Dad Peter all feel a bit like that at times. Just in the dialogue and way he carries himself. I get that that's just my opinion, though.

That's the only hesitation I have about a Dad Peter in 616. As long as we avoid that, I think it can work.
    Last edited by Kaitou D. Kid; 01-05-2023 at 10:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    I feel like the foundation for Dad Peter has to be more JMS than MC2 and RYV. At least in 616.

JMS Peter was not only great at connecting with kids, he also wasn't a conventional teacher. By that logic, he wouldn't be a conventional father either. No disrespect to MC2, RYV, and Life Story, but their take on Dad Peter all feel a bit like that.

That's the only hesitation I have about a Dad Peter in 616. As long as we avoid that, I think it can work.
    Then again, there's a difference between connecting to students you're teaching and your own children. Not to mention, JMS Peter was much younger than his MC2 and Life Story incarnations.

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    *raises hand*

And I maintain that Peter would give up being Spider-man in a heartbeat, or soon thereafter, if he had a kid.
    I think he'd be tempted but I think MC2 had a point that the only way he could stop being Spider-Man was if he physically couldn't do it any more. Even when he was retired and Mayday was starting out he still craved getting back out there for a good period of time.