Page 155 of 176 FirstFirst ... 55105145151152153154155156157158159165 ... LastLast
Results 2,311 to 2,325 of 2628

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think he'd be tempted but I think MC2 had a point that the only way he could stop being Spider-Man was if he physically couldn't do it any more. Even when he was retired and Mayday was starting out he still craved getting back out there for a good period of time.
    MC2 Peter looked for any excuse to go out there and be Spider-Man.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    MC2 Peter looked for any excuse to go out there and be Spider-Man.
    Peter always looks for an excuse to go out and be Spider-Man, really .

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    *raises hand*

And I maintain that Peter would give up being Spider-man in a heartbeat, or soon thereafter, if he had a kid.
    Renew Your Vows Peter Parker raised Annie from a kid well into her teens while still being active as Spider-Man.

Astonishing Member CaptainUniverse's Avatar

It's like when Peter throws his costume on a wall and says "I am through being Spider-Man!" We all know he's full of it, he's going to put that costume on again no matter what because that's just the kind of neurotic bastard he really is. Short of losing a leg or his powers, Peter will never not be Spider-Man and even then.... Not even when his kids are all grown and he and MJ are in their sixties/late fifties. Hell...even if he were 100 years old I think he'd still find a way to go out and be Spider-Man.
    "The Enigma Force is not a tool to be manipulated by mortals. The Enigma Force comes to those it deems worthy. What temerity, what arrogance, makes you think you are worthy? Have you not all made mistakes? Unforgiveable ones?" - Captain Universe

"Call me an Avenging Angel, Baron, come to safeguard Earth...call me CAPTAIN UNIVERSE!" - Ray Coffin

"You're my heart, Mary Jane Watson...you're my jackpot." - Peter Parker

I think he'd be tempted but I think MC2 had a point that the only way he could stop being Spider-Man was if he physically couldn't do it any more. Even when he was retired and Mayday was starting out he still craved getting back out there for a good period of time.
    Yeah, I get that, but MC2 had the advantage of not really having to storytell within that framework. It could say that without showing what that actually looked like.

Meanwhile, if Peter had a kid, his world would be wildly different. Having kids is expensive and time consuming, and the idea of what is responsible looks wildly different when you've got a baby at home, and Peter is not the kind of guy to just stick MJ with the expectation that they'll be waiting by the window with a baby. There are literally not enough hours in the day for modern, working class people with kids as it is.

Moreover, I refuse to believe someone who's lost as many people close to him as Peter has would entertain the notion that he could have a kid and *not* jeapordize them. He'd hang up the tights, especially with Miles Morales around to pick up the slack.

Real growth, real responsibility at that point means hanging up the tights and being a husband, and most importantly, a father, and no orphaned child is going to risk their own kid growing up without their parents if he can help it.

Astonishing Member

Unfortunately, he was unintentionally trying to marginalize his daughter by doing that. It kinda made Peter seem like a control freak.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainUniverse View Post
    It's like when Peter throws his costume on a wall and says "I am through being Spider-Man!" We all know he's full of it, he's going to put that costume on again no matter what because that's just the kind of neurotic bastard he really is. Short of losing a leg or his powers, Peter will never not be Spider-Man and even then.... Not even when his kids are all grown and he and MJ are in their sixties/late fifties. Hell...even if he were 100 years old I think he'd still find a way to go out and be Spider-Man.
    cause being spiderman made his life without the costume or powers he be a nobody
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    cause being spiderman made his life without the costume or powers he be a nobody
    That or because he has severe PSTD (wait...no...yeah...) from fighting old men in tights and nightmarish alien monsters born from an avatar of the eternal darkness and has become an adrenaline junkie as a result.
    Last edited by CaptainUniverse; 01-05-2023 at 11:26 AM.
    "The Enigma Force is not a tool to be manipulated by mortals. The Enigma Force comes to those it deems worthy. What temerity, what arrogance, makes you think you are worthy? Have you not all made mistakes? Unforgiveable ones?" - Captain Universe

"Call me an Avenging Angel, Baron, come to safeguard Earth...call me CAPTAIN UNIVERSE!" - Ray Coffin

Didn't MC2 have advanced prosthetics? It always felt like he was just a single plot point from jumping back into the hero game. I think I remember Reed offering a mechanical leg at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by Dron View Post
    Didn't MC2 have advanced prosthetics? It always felt like he was just a single plot point from jumping back into the hero game. I think I remember Reed offering a mechanical leg at some point.
    Reed offered him one when Mayday was little, he rejected it and I think he temporarily got a mechanical one at some point during the first Spider-Girl series but eventually went back to a normal prosthetic...or the mechanical one broke, I don't remember off-hand. Slott incorrectly portrayed him as having a robot leg in Spider-Verse.

The robot prosthetic worked for a bit but he wasn't able to fight as effectively with it as he did in his prime.
    Yeah, I get that, but MC2 had the advantage of not really having to storytell within that framework. It could say that without showing what that actually looked like.

Meanwhile, if Peter had a kid, his world would be wildly different. Having kids is expensive and time consuming, and the idea of what is responsible looks wildly different when you've got a baby at home, and Peter is not the kind of guy to just stick MJ with the expectation that they'll be waiting by the window with a baby. There are literally not enough hours in the day for modern, working class people with kids as it is.

Moreover, I refuse to believe someone who's lost as many people close to him as Peter has would entertain the notion that he could have a kid and *not* jeapordize them. He'd hang up the tights, especially with Miles Morales around to pick up the a.

Real growth, real responsibility at that point means hanging up the tights and being a husband, and most importantly, a father, and no orphaned child is going to risk their own kid growing up without their parents if he can help it.
    Oh, I get all practical and ethical reasons why it would make more sense for him to hang up the tights but I also know as a character that he's prone to rationalizing excuses or reasons for him to still go out and be Spider-Man even if it does negatively harm his relationships (especially all the stress it put into his marriage with MJ to begin with).

I also just don't think he could live with leaving it to anyone else or believing they could pick up the slack when so much of his character is built into feeling like he has to be the one to take care of these things, and he often has to. That hasn't really changed no matter how many Spiders they add to 616 or when they even put him on teams.

Extraordinary Member

*raises hand*

And I maintain that Peter would give up being Spider-man in a heartbeat, or soon thereafter, if he had a kid.
    Personally, I think most superheroes should, quite frankly.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

The robot prosthetic worked for a bit but he wasn't able to fight as effectively with it as he did in his prime.

Oh, I get all practical and ethical reasons why it would make more sense for him to hang up the tights but I also know as a character that he's prone to rationalizing excuses or reasons for him to still go out and be Spider-Man even if it does negatively harm his relationships (especially all the stress it put into his marriage with MJ to begin with).

I also just don't think he could live with leaving it to anyone else or believing they could pick up the slack when so much of his character is built into feeling like he has to be the one to take care of these things, and he often has to. That hasn't really changed no matter how many Spiders they add to 616 or when they even put him on teams.
    Yeah, MC2 Pete didn't abandon crimefighting, he switched to police work instead of spider-man. As the saying goes: "with great power comes great responsibility". Pete can't just.. sit back. But he doesn't have to be Spider-Man to help.

I think we all know that even if he did retire, at some point he's going to turn on the news and see some battle that he just HAS to go help out in.

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    Personally, I think most superheroes should, quite frankly.
    Granted I don't think they live in a setting where that's as practical...