Page 165 of 176 FirstFirst ... 65115155161162163164165166167168169175 ... LastLast
Results 2,461 to 2,475 of 2633

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerSpider View Post
    You didn't read Friendly Neighborhood or Dark Ages, I see.
    Well, I don't think Friendly Neighborhood was all that different (the stuff with the underground and kids was pretty paper thin) he just executed it well.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    Roxxon hasn't had a major presence in the MCU yet, only in the Miles Morales game (which is still relatively recent, and unfortunately movies still get a bit more exposure & audiences than games do). If general audiences recognize the name "Roxxon" more than the name "Oscorp" just based on that, I would kinda be surprised.

Also, I'm referring to characters. Even if general audiences know Roxxon, they probably can't name anyone working for it. But they can name Norman Osborn, Spider-Man's archenemy who is an rich evil dude and who showed up in all the film franchises so far. Even if he isn't involved outside of Spider-Man stuff, it's where your average Joe's mind probably goes if you ask them to name an evil rich dude from Marvel.

The fact there were endless speculations and fancasts online over Norman doing something Dark Reign-y in the MCU (even though it's not going to happen) kinda proves it.
    The last movie Norman appeared in had him cured of his evil Goblin persona, which isn't dissimilar from what happened recently in the comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    The last movie Norman appeared in had him cured of his evil Goblin persona, which isn't dissimilar from what happened recently in the comics.
    Well, it wasn't so much that Norman was "cured" so much as he had literally all the evil in him ripped out, it's canon at this point that even pre-Goblin Norman wasn't the best guy.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Well, I don't think Friendly Neighborhood was all that different (the stuff with the underground and kids was pretty paper thin) he just executed it well.
    Exactly. A well executed story can trump status quo.

I can’t stand Wells’s sins-cleansed Norman - it’s a terrible idea IMO executed terribly - but so far Cantwell is doing amazing work with that status quo.

Astonishing Member

I hated school teacher Spider-Man when I was in school. A school teacher was the last person I wanted to read about. Ultimate Spider-Man was a lot more relevant to me.

There's a lot of YA fiction about teenagers, but not many about school teachers, and for good reason.

If 616 Peter becomes a dad under a writer who respects his history, he won't be boring.
    The idea was raised that he wouldn't be facing dangerous villains most of the time. That would make make the super-hero action more boring.

I don't think Peter would go out on patrol as Spider-Man while he had a child waiting for him at home. Firefighters get a salary and benefits for what they do, they're providing for their families. All the time Peter spends dressed up as Spider-Man would be time he's not providing for his child. I don't think he'd do that, I think there would be a shift in his priorities and he'd leave his Spider-Man days behind him.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    I hated school teacher Spider-Man when I was in school. A school teacher was the last person I wanted to read about. Ultimate Spider-Man was a lot more relevant to me.

There's a lot of YA fiction about teenagers, but not many about school teachers, and for good reason.
    The mainstream comic book Peter Parker hasn't been a High School student since Amazing Spider-Man Vol. 1 #28, which was released in 1965.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    That was one of the criticisms people had of NWH. The way Raimi portrayed him, it was ambiguous if Norman's split personality was caused by the serum or if it came from his inner desire to do harm (notice that Harry in Spider-Man 3 doesn't have a split-personality, and it's unlikely he improved on the formula because he sucked at science). NWH removed that ambiguity.

Besides, Raimi's Norman has a split-personality, but 616 Norman (most of the time) doesn't. Spencer's Norman definitely didn't have it. Neither did the Norman in Evil Incarcerated, which came out during Spencer's run.

That was one of the criticisms people had of NWH.
    I don't recall these criticisms. Where these from critics or comic fans?

The way Raimi portrayed him, it was ambiguous if Norman's split personality was caused by the serum or if it came from his inner desire to do harm (notice that Harry in Spider-Man 3 doesn't have a split-personality, and it's unlikely he improved on the formula because he sucked at science). NWH removed that ambiguity.
    Outside of one scene where he's dismissive of Peter's fascination with science, nothing in the movies suggests Harry is bad at science.

Even if we go with the theory that the formula was enhancing what was there, at most that means Norman was much better at keeping those tendencies under control when the formula wasn't a factor.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    The mainstream comic book Peter Parker hasn't been a High School student since Amazing Spider-Man Vol. 1 #28, which was released in 1965.
    Maybe but he also wasn’t a teacher.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    He had a few stints as a sub mentor/teacher in the 80s

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    During the Stern/Mantlo years, he was a TA.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post

Good thing 616 Peter Parker Spider-Man isn’t a YA title, as YA is defined by having its protagonists in high school.

Wasn’t it smart of Marvel to publish titles that could address that market, though? Too bad they don’t—

Oh. Wait. If you want to read to about Spider-Man in high school, Miles Morales is right this way.
    Last edited by TinkerSpider; 01-11-2023 at 08:01 AM.

Astonishing Member Mercwmouth12's Avatar

During the Stern/Mantlo years, he was a TA.

Good thing 616 Peter Parker Spider-Man isn’t a YA title, as YA is defined by having its protagonists in high school.

Wasn’t it smart of Marvel to publish titles that could address that market, though? Too bad they don’t—

Oh. Wait. If you want to read to about Spider-Man in high school, Miles Morales is right this way.
    There's a nice YA title called Spider-Man: social disorder you can check out

Where did you get that definition?

People that want Pepsi don't necessarily want diet caffeine free zero calorie pepsi.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    Turning Peter into a teacher is actually a pretty reasonable idea. It's a great job for a working-class guy like Peter.
    It's a horrible job for a guy that might need to leave to fight Rhino at any minute or was up all night fighting Dr. Octopus.

Anything that requires a set schedule is a horrible fit for Spidey.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    That would include a social life. Remember, Peter only relies on that because he needs an excuse not to be Spider-Man in his spare time for the good of his mental health.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    It's a horrible job for a guy that might need to leave to fight Rhino at any minute or was up all night fighting Dr. Octopus.

You know who should have Peter's back in those kinds of situations? The other teachers.

Being a teacher is a working-class job that a working-class guy like Peter Parker should have.

If superheroes are meant to act as a metaphor for people in the real world, and their problems are extensions of our problems, then a supervillain attack while Peter is on the job is akin to a real emergency happening in any of our daily lives.

I just don't think the schedule argument holds water when the same people are also advocating for Peter to still be a High School student. Talk about a set schedule.