Page 2 of 176 FirstFirst 1234561252102 ... LastLast
    BANNED

jm dematteis is the best spiderman writer

bendis' writes the worst 616 spiderman

the other was a good spiderman story imo

dan slott is a hit or miss spiderman writer

spiderman should start a family

josh keaton is the kevin conroy of spiderman

cullen bunnis my number 1 pick for a potential spiderman writer. in his books he has a great voice for the character and his work seems to be getting better with his magneto book

It's perfectly fine to spell Spider-Man as Spiderman.

Quote Originally Posted by Aruran. View Post
    It's perfectly fine to spell Spider-Man as Spiderman.

Please ban.

Lets see...

Sins Past was a good story that improved the character of Gwen Stacy.

The JMS version of OMD would have been better than what we got.

ASM2 is a damned good movie that doles out its Spider-Man and Peter Parker in a pitch perfect way.

It was a mistake to bring Norman Osborn back from the dead during the Clone Saga.

Len Wein actually had a great run with a couple of the best stories.

Anna Maria is a better character than Gwen Stacy

Here's one. I enjoy the Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon. :P

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    There has never been a wose villain for Spidey than Venom (or Carnage). Not even Big Wheel or Slyde. Totally wrong for the character
    Those be fightin words!

Hmm, I guess I'll chime in.

Amazing Spider-Man 2 was the best Spidey film so far, and Spider-Man 2099 was a good book but wasn't spectacular. (Though, I am interested in the upcoming continuation, to be honest)

BANNED

The original iteration of Ultimate Spider-Man was the best run on the character since Lee/Ditko/Romita, regardless of the alternate universe. It's also the only Marvel book to maintain a consistent and lengthy level of quality since Claremont's original Uncanny X-Men run.

Also, Marvel made a HUGE mistake by killing off Ultimate Peter Parker. There were other ways to write him out of the book and put the focus on a new character instead of killing him.

"One More Day" is the laziest and most cynical comic book "event" in the history of the medium.

Marvel 616 needs a reboot.

Ben Reilly, while an interesting character, needed to die. All of the replacement heroes in the Marvel U should be killed off or forgotten with the exception of Bucky Barnes and Beta Ray Bill. That includes Kaine, US Agent, Red Hulk, and any others I forgot that aren't Bucky and Bill.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Lets see...

Sins Past was a good story that improved the character of Gwen Stacy.

The JMS version of OMD would have been better than what we got.

ASM2 is a damned good movie that doles out its Spider-Man and Peter Parker in a pitch perfect way.

It was a mistake to bring Norman Osborn back from the dead during the Clone Saga.

Len Wein actually had a great run with a couple of the best stories.

Anna Maria is a better character than Gwen Stacy
    I agree with you on Norman's return. The mastermind behind the Clone Saga should have been who editorial originally envisioned: Otto Octavius. It fit in with his previous role as The Master Planner and he was always more brilliant and cunning than Norman.

That said, bringing back Harry as the mastermind would have also worked for different reasons.

As for ASM2 being a "damned good movie," how do you get around the awful characterization and performance of Jamie Foxx as Electro and the soap operatic approach to Harry Osborn? That level of utter campy trash should have stayed dead the last time it reared its ugly head in "Punisher War Zone."

BANNED

Ned Leeds being the Hobgoblin is a far better idea than Roderick Kingsley.

Mark Bagley is a more influential artist than Todd MacFarlane.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by RobertMacQuarrie1 View Post
    Ned Leeds being the Hobgoblin is a far better idea than Roderick Kingsley.

Mark Bagley is a more influential artist than Todd MacFarlane.
    that i can agree on

What prevents Bendis from becoming one of the all-time Marvel greats was killing Peter Parker, easily the best character in the entire Ultimate Universe and at one time much more interesting than 616 Peter.

Peter Parker is indeed more important than Spider-Man.

I disliked seeing Aunt May being characterised as a fragile old woman that only exists for giving Peter advice and constantly reminiscing her life with Uncle Ben. Thankfully Ultimate May came along, and it's nice to see that both the 616 May and the ASM May are closer in characterisation to Ultimate May.

Gwen > Mary Jane.

I dislike a lot of Bagley's early art. I think, however, that I dislike it more because of how 90s art was in general. Bagley's art has of course, evolved and he's become one of the most influential comic book artists today.

John Romita Jr's work is criminally underrated. In my opinion he is as important a Spidey artist as Bagley.

Marcos Martin is the best artist working in the comics industry today, and he just might become one of the all-time greatest, especially if he comes back to the Spidey book sometime.

John Romita Sr. is the best Spider-Man artist of all time.

The Civil War stories sorrounding Spider-Man and everything that came afterwards before Brand New Day is the most depressing Spider-Man run ever. Sure, OMD wasn't the best way (at all) to undo the damage that had been made to the Spidey book but it was necessary. Peter's identity was public & his life was an absolute wreck, Aunt May was about to die a horrible death, the marriage with MJ was going down the drain, etc. Quality-wise & story-wise, the book was going down the drain. I'm sure there were better ways of handling OMD, though.

Amazing Spider-Man 2 is indeed a damned good movie on par with Spider-Man 2. Sure, it has its weak spots but so does every movie, and in this case I'd say critics are overly harsh on it. What it does best is that it is mainly a Peter Parker story where Peter loves, suffers, and ultimately bounces back. Classical Spider-Man. His supporting cast is strong as heck too, especially Aunt May & Gwen. Harry was well-developed too (albeit rushed into becoming the Goblin). And I honestly couldn't care less about villains like Electro, honestly. He never was much of a memorable character to begin with in the comics and adding a whole backstory to the character is only time wasted on Peter & the rest of the main cast.

In the long run the new Spidey movies as a whole will be considered better than the old Spidey movies. In my opinion, the first 2 Raimi movies work very well as stand-alone movies. And, Spider-Man 2 besides the odd excessively campy scene holds up very well (just look at the Spidey vs Ock battle on the train & Peter saving the people on the train). What hinders it is the Raimi camp sprayed all over the movies, Spidey rarely wisecracking, the awkward Mary Jane-Peter scenes (and Mary Jane being kidnapped by the Norman, Ock, Venom, and even Harry), and especially the fact that Peter never actually matures. At the start of the three Raimi movies, it feels as if I'm watching the same loser, insecure, borderline mute Peter from before he was bit by the radioactive spider. His being Spider-Man, growing older, losing Uncle Ben & Harry, and his relationship with MJ are things that are supposed to make him mature! Through the new Spidey movies, I can actually see Peter growing up and maturing. He starts off in characterisation closer to the 1610 Peter in ASM1 but starts to morph into the 616 Peter in ASM2, it's yet to be seen if he finally matures into THE Amazing Spider-Man. The series could do with stronger villains though, especially some that give Spidey more of a fight.

Andrew Garfield owns the Peter Parker role, in the way Robert Downey Jr owns the Tony Stark role. And, since Garfield owns the Peter role, therefore he owns the Spider-Man role too.

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    There has never been a wose villain for Spidey than Venom (or Carnage). Not even Big Wheel or Slyde. Totally wrong for the character
    One of the worst origin stories for a villain, too.

'What the...what's this black goop all over my costume?! Hey, is that Julia Carpenter over there? Oh crap, I feel really angry now!'

BANNED

if the deleted scenes and pre visualizations were added in the theatrical cut of TASM it would've been alot better than the avengers and iron man. seriously the movie oirginally felt more like an academy award movie rather than a comic book film.

Okay I think I have a few. Andrew Garfield wasn't as good in Amazing Spider-Man as people make him out to be. He did hit the role in Amazing Spider-Man 2 though. So far Amazing Spider-Man 2 is my pick for best Spider-Man movie.

Scarlet Spider was leagues better than Superior Spider-Man.

Aunt May needs to learn Peter is Spider-Man as her not knowing has added nothing to the story and taken away the good character development she had.

I don't know if this would be controversial but I don't think anyone can match J.K. Simmons portrayal of Jameson.

Mr. Negative is the Worse Spider-Man villain of all time. He's just Kingpin with powers.