Page 22 of 176 FirstFirst ... 121819202122232425263272122 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    616 Gwen was never Peter's confidant.
    I never said that she was anything like 616 Gwen either.

I call Emma Stone's Gwen: Gwen-a-Jane.
    Because being Spider-Man's confidant is almost exclusive to Mary Jane.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by JTait View Post
    I have never understood the comparisons between Emma Stone's Gwen, and the comic book Mary Jane. Ultimate Mary Jane, sure. But in my opinion the Gwen of the Amazing Spider-Man film series bears very little resemblance to MJ's classic comic book interpretation.
    Despite not being an actress or former party girl, TASM Gwen does share some characteristics/traits with the 616 universe MJ. So does ultimate MJ. However, I agree that she's clearly more ultimate MJ than she is classic MJ.

Anyway, that wasn't my point. In my opinion, despite making a good alternate interpretation of Gwen, Emma could've really nailed classic MJ's personality. Her lively energy and good sense of comedic timing would've been put to better use with a free spirited character like Mary Jane.

Thoe Amazing movies were built on the foundation of doing "The Night Gwen Stacy Died," because why else would they have used Gwen Stacy when they first started? (I'm talking before they cast anybody.)

That's why there's so much emphasis on Gwen, as opposed to Peter having a stable supporting cast around him. The reason TNGSD works is because Peter has that supporting cast around him. He doesn't have that here because the production team fell into the trap that I see a number of fans and some creators fall into, they thought they needed to emphasize how important and special Gwen was at the cost of everyone else in Peter's world.

So many problems with those movies were done just to be different from the Raimi movies. That's why Peter never catches Uncle Ben's killer (he didn't even catch him in an out of continuity tie-in video game, Cletus Kassady killed him). That's why all the stuff with Richard Parker (which I hate so much).

A Green Unpleasant Man Rob London's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AJpyro View Post
    Wait. Sony had a 3 film contract and knew people liked the Emma/Andrew dynamic but still killed her off.

...Mr. Mets, I'm very confused.
    Maybe she's gonna show up in visions or whatever in ASM3 (if it happens), like the Disapproving Ghost of Denis Leary in ASM2.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob London View Post
    Maybe she's gonna show up in visions or whatever in ASM3 (if it happens), like the Disapproving Ghost of Denis Leary in ASM2.
    Peter had conversations with Cliff Robertson's Uncle Ben in all of Raimi's Spidey films. I could picture something like that. (If ASM 3 happens.)

Arrow Green Goblin / Leatherface

Here's an arguable notion:

Since Spider-Man (Marvel Comics) presents nemeses such as Doctor Octopus and Black Cat which capture social fascination with mobility/motility passions, can we liken Spidey's enemies to American horror film avatars? After all, horror film demons are by definition monsters who hobble their victims.

This should not be a clear-cut issue, since comic books provide fans a way to 'escape' the tedium of regular life and regular psychology. So we may not even want to re-cast Spidey's enemies as re-presentations or allusions to American horror film avatars.

However, I would argue that Spider-Man's main villain, Green Goblin (a deformed jet-soaring, bomb-throwing city maniac), is a lot like Tobe Hooper's seminal movie psychopath, Leatherface (a deranged cannibal who runs around wearing a mask made of the skin of corpses and terrorizing people with a chainsaw).

Both Green Goblin and Leatherface represent human curiosity about the contours of real criminally insane pedestrianism terrorism.

Should we liberally make such associations?

The Texas Chain Saw Massacre

Aunt May only appeared in the first issue of Volume 3, and hasn't appeared since. Yet everyone argues that Aunt May is vital for Peter Parker.
    I don't buy that, way too many times a writer was able to go for a long period of time without mentioning or showing Aunt May. Aunt May makes sense when Peter lives with her, but the moment he has his own place Aunt May becomes pointless. At the same time, whoever Peter dates ends up being more important because they end up in a lot more dangerous situations because of their living conditions.

Tl dr; Aunt May is pointless for Peter Parker's life as an adult.

Spidey has the best rogues gallery ever. Yes. He surpasses Batman. There haven't been as many good stories exploring their potential, bit the potential is there.

Marvel should have created a new species, let's call them "Parasytes" to fill the role of gooey life sucking brain eating monster that Marvel always wants to write symbiotes as.

Spidey's top 5 can be Goblin, the personal connection, and Power beggeting privilege rather than responsibility; Doc Ock, all of the genius intellect, and a good man gone bad, a nerd who flight against the world; Venom, selfishness and selflessness battling each other, who Peter could have been, and Peter is who he aspires to be; Scorpion, a physical manifestation of the people he saves not trusting him; and Kraven, the honorable man who sees Spider-Man as a sport, completely negating his moral quandary.

Spidey does have too many scientist villains, for whom their scientific acumen is pointless. Shocker could have just gotten kitted out by Tinkerer, and he fits a great role as a thug with power.

I love aunt May, but she should be allowed to die, in both the name of "realism," as it exists, and for character growth for Peter. Using her as a crutch for a 30 year old man is just sad.
    Last edited by AcroBrat; 02-02-2015 at 12:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Especially since they had Stone on a three-film contract.

But how would a trilogy have worked out?
    Did they really? They had to re-sign Marc and Andrew before ASM2, so I kind of find that hard to believe. Why would Emma have an extended contract and not them?
    “Marvel Fan Rave Podcast” on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, and more.

*I guess this point is kind of controversial:
    I'm pro-marriage, that never stopped me from enjoying post OMD stories.
    I like the majority of the stories prior to the OMD fiasco more than anything post OMD.
    The first half of OMD is not bad.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

Quote Originally Posted by Rob London View Post
    If Ghost Gwen were to show up, it would be a reminder of his failure, really, more than a reminder that there may be hope in being responsible and protecting his loved ones. I don't really see Ghost Gwen as being productive towards the story end of things. Plus its been done already with Ghost Dad. Ghost Dad was all right, considering that he essentially became Peter's Uncle Ben character in the ASM movies (reminding Peter why he needed to act responsibly). Ghost Gwen, nah.

Emma Stone in flashback scenes might be good, though.

BANNED

Sony doesn't know what the hell they're doing with the ASM franchise. ASM2 was so bad, the lead actor had to come out and point the fingers back at Sony over how trash it was. They have zero direction for the series, no concrete story ideas, they're just throwing ideas in the air and hope they stick(Sinsister Six spin-off? Black Cat maybe? How about teaming up with Marvel Studios). Its the defintion of corporate committee cinema, it doesn't matter who makes it or what it is, just put SOMETHING on screen so we can keep the Spider-Man license and make some money off it.

BND onwards is the best ASM has been since the early 70's. Slott's run especially is the best since Stan Lee's.

Villainy Censorship: Mysterio

Here's one:

"Mysterio, the eerie Spidey nemesis who devises unpredictable death-traps and dangerous gadgets designed to confound and unnerve, is not only more odd than DC Comics' Batman nemesis Riddler, but he also reveals the undeniable allure of frustrating the laborious forces of good."

Think about it --- Spider-Man is a diligent hero who soars on webs, and Mysterio always seems to suggest that inventiveness towards mischief, mayhem, and the macabre invites the 'normal' person to experiment with danger.

Mysterio creates an artistic framework for understanding motivations towards rebelliousness.

Mysterio invites people to consider why ethics and civil procedure are so laboriously pursued in the face of life's natural risk-calculation uncertainties.

Mysterio is the ultimate intellectual anarchist in Marvel Comics' universe.

Does Mysterio, therefore, create a fantasy dominion of 'villainy propaganda?' If so, we could imagine that such an avatar could be censored in a place not curious about free speech and anarchy.