Page 3 of 176 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast

- I liked organic web shooters.
    - Gwen Stacy Should not have been killed off.
    - Peter Parker should never have been married and should never be married.
    - Mephisto is not the devil.
    - "Sins Past" was a good story.
    - Because of the physiological consequences of the spider bite Peter ages much more slowly than the average person.
    - Mary Jane and Tony Stark should have had an affair during the civil war.
    Stay Calm. Carry Guns.

He should never have graduated from collage.

(Would also be fine with him staying in high school)

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesedique View Post
    Not so sure about that--his role in creating Venom pretty much cements his status to me. The iconic church scene with Brock getting the symbiote was referenced in a movie, for example. Nothing by Stern, JMS or Slott has been really referenced in that way yet (though I suppose Hobgoblin in the 90's cartoon counts for Stern). I think Michelinie's Spider-man work is just as memorable as Lee's or Conway's work, though perhaps not as emotionally hard-hitting.

I don't think you'll get a lot of argument from anyone on that.
    Often enough, I saw fairly negative reviews of Spider-Man VS Wolverine and Millar's Marvel Knights run.

Quote Originally Posted by oldschool View Post
    Not sure how "controversial" this will be, but here is a baker's dozen of mine:

1) Bill Mantlo's second stint on PP:SSM (early 1980's) is criminally overlooked and better than quite a few ASM runs.
    2) Roger Stern's run on PP:SSM is also very, very good; perhaps not the masterpiece of a run that his subsequent ASM stint was but still very good.
    3) If JMS left the title after roughly issue #50 (Vol 2), he would be one of the all-time greats; the majority of his work after that point was weak to just average.
    4) Denny O'Neil's ASM run wasn't bad; it was just really boring.
    5) The Kingpin should've never given Spidey such a hard time in those Lee/Romita issues; one punch should have put him down. He is not superhuman.
    6) With all the geniuses Spidey has come up against, someone should have gathered some of the webs he leaves all over town and analyzed them and come up with a counteragent to use against him in battle.
    7) Gwen is Peter's great love, not MJ.
    8) Aunt May should not be killed off; as his one remaining close family member, her presence is important. I am glad she is no longer frail and has a life apart from Peter, though.
    9) Peter needs to stay off teams; he works so much better as a street level hero. He also should stand in awe when in Thor or Cap's presence regardless of how many times they have fought together.
    10) I love it when Pete gets pissed; one of the reasons why the battle in "Superman vs Spider-Man" is so good. The Ross Andru art helps immeasurably but the pissed-off Peter walloping Supes (thanks to Luthor's Kryptonite power-up, of course) make that issue a blast to read and re-read. See also the Firelord battle.
    11) I think there should be an ongoing anthology title like "Webspinners" or "Tangled Web", two series that still contain some of the best post-2000 Spidey stories.
    12) J Jonah Jameson is the most important supporting character in the books.
    13) Dan Slott has introduced the best supporting characters in decades; Anna Maria, Max Modell, Sajani etc have the potential to stay in the book for many more years.
    1) Reading it right now. Haven't even gotten to the Owl/ Octopus war, so I'll agree on all counts.

2) This one's probably not controversial.

4) Why isn't a run being boring enough to say that it's bad?

8) Agreed on all counts.

11) I'm conflicted on that. Anthologies tend not to sell, but it also results in a large supply of accessible material for new readers to check out. Consider all the Legends of the Dark Knight stories that can be found as TPBs.

12) Yep. Peter can always have a different romantic interest, but Jonah's responsible for Spider-Man's reputation.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

PAD's run on Friendly Neighbourhood Spider-man is possibly the worst Spider-man run ever. It is the weakest writing I have ever seen him do.

Also, Todd Nauck's art is indescribably bad. Not sure if that is controversial.

Harry should have come back a lot sooner. He should still be firmly in the supporting cast.

Europe isn't a safe-haven for recovering super-villains.

Peter being a part-time photographer in the OMD universe comes across as utterly pathetic and, coupled with the endless whining, made him really unlikable. It was fine when he didn't need money as MJ was raking it in, as it could be taken as a hobby.

I don't like Ultimate Spider-man. Any of it.

I hate writers relying on the "Parker luck" as a contrived plot device. It has gone from an occasional story filler to a full-blown excuse for Peter's inablility to grow up. I especially hate him being late because of this.

I hope Peter's new status quo of owner/opperator of his own company stays forever.

Peter should tell Sajani he is Spider-man to force writers not to use his being late due to Spider-man for arbitrary conflict. I would also like her as a love interest.

Actually, he should tell everyone he loves that he is Spider-man. There is simply no logical reason not to do so.

The worst ret-con from OMD is that Aunt May no longer knows Peter is Spider-man. I say this partly because we've all known since the 90s that sooner or later the marriage would go.

Peter and MJ forever! (this is only controversial to Marvel editors)

Phew, I feel better now.

Peter Parker doesn't have to have a terrible life or have things constantly go wrong in his life for him to be an interesting character.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    PAD's run on Friendly Neighbourhood Spider-man is possibly the worst Spider-man run ever. It is the weakest writing I have ever seen him do.
    Now this is controversial!

I didn't like a lot of it. The Vulture and Mysterio arcs were great though.

I'd say it's the weakest writing he's done on Spider-man. There have been far worse runs however.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesedique View Post
    Now this is controversial!

I didn't like a lot of it. The Vulture and Mysterio arcs were great though.

I'd say it's the weakest writing he's done on Spider-man. There have been far worse runs however.
    I just hated everything about it. I will allow that my opinion is perhaps shaded by the fact that I knew it should have been much better due of the immense tallent of the writer.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    I just hated everything about it. I will allow that my opinion is perhaps shaded by the fact that I knew it should have been much better due of the immense tallent of the writer.
    Well, the entire run was saddled with crossovers into The Other, Civil War and Back In Black, so that couldn't have helped.

I didn't like all the time-trotting stories though. Kind of fun, but didn't fit Spider-man. Especially the Uncle Ben of 2211 coming back in time.

Peter having unmasked and facing JJJ in a boxing ring almost made the entire run for me.

1.) Peters life isn't actually terrible, people pity him way too much. There are other comic book characters with worse lifes and even Peter himself doesn't seem to think that everything sucks (even if he is self-loathing and self-pitying sometimes, he's still pretty optimistic).

And here's the bomb I actually tried not to drop:
    2.) Peter should be outed as bisexual. Why? Because of many reasons.
    Recently Moviebob pointed this out:
    "A problem with Spider-Man is that he lends himself to self-insert avatar for fans-turned-comic-writers better than almost any other superhero. That’s why he’s a science-club dweeb who’s also secretly super-awesome and routinely beds supermodels, prom queens and Bond Girls even outside of being Spider-Man. And it’s why he winds up with a supporting character like Black Cat: “Well, I’ll never sleep with Catwoman… but I can write/vicariously-project-myself-into Peter Parker sleeping with what is essentially just Catwoman!”"
    I agree with Bob and I'm sick and tired of Peter dating super-hotties that are just there for fanservice and voyeurism. It would be interesting to see him being interested in men.
    Another thing? He's supposed to represent the underdog, but I don't see how there is anything underdog-y about him right now. He's white, supposedly straight, dated a lot of hot and cool women, worked together with a bunch of amazing scientists, isn't poor anymore, him being a genius and a nerd actually gives him a privileged status instead of it turning him into an outcast (...)
    Not only would he regain his status as an underdog if he'd been outed as bisexual, it would actually mean something because he's friggin Spider-Man.
    As far as I know, Jessica Drew is bisexual in the Ultimate Comics and since she's Peters clone, it would be hypocritical if Peter wasn't. But that's not the 616 universe.
    Also, Peter has interesting dynamics (not subtext) with many male characters and it would make sense if he had a crush on one of them.

3.) Peter should absolutely not come back in the Ultimate Comics. Please, no. Just no. But I guess that's not a controversial opinion.
    Last edited by Peter Porker; 05-13-2014 at 10:58 AM.

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

I liked organic web shooters.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Porker View Post
    1.) Peters life isn't actually terrible, people pity him way too much. There are other comic book characters with worse lifes and even Peter himself doesn't seem to think that everything sucks (even if he is self-loathing and self-pitying sometimes, he's still pretty optimistic).

I agree with Bob and I'm sick and tired of Peter dating super-hotties that are just there for fanservice and voyeurism. It would be interesting to see him being interested in men.
    Another thing? He's supposed to represent the underdog, but I don't see how there is anything underdog-y about him right now. He's white, supposedly straight, dated a lot of hot and cool women, worked together with a bunch of amazing scientists, isn't poor anymore, him being a genius and a nerd actually gives him a privileged status instead of it turning him into an outcast (...)
    Not only would he regain his status as an underdog if he'd been outed as bisexual, it would actually mean something because he's friggin Spider-Man.
    As far as I know, Jessica Drew is bisexual in the Ultimate Comics and since she's Peters clone, it would be hypocritical if Peter wasn't. But that's not the 616 universe.
    Also, Peter has interesting dynamics (not subtext) with many male characters and it would make sense if he had a crush on one of them.

3.) Peter should absolutely not come back in the Ultimate Comics. Please, no. Just no. But I guess that's not a controversial opinion.
    Wow I agree on all counts. To this day only relatively minor characters in comics get to be not straight. Turning Peter (the actual 616 mainstream universe version of him!) bisexual would be a brilliant move from Marvel. After all, he's in the top three of all superheroes ever. That would be some actual character development too.

^ Agreed on organic web shooters too. All his powers from The Other should have stayed.

?

When was that established because I dont remember reading anything to say that the clone was. First thing i recall her thinking was how hot johnny storm was and that conflicting with her clone memories of peter's love interests. It wasnt established if she went after relationships from both sexes in that way. Just that initial confusion right after her being born as a clone.

But again, I may have missed a book... can you point me to what i missed?

1.)

I agree with Bob and I'm sick and tired of Peter dating super-hotties that are just there for fanservice and voyeurism.
    This, like many things in serial ongoing comics by the Big Two depend heavily on the writer. Most of Peter's love interests have at least a few stories were they depicted with a great deal of depth and personality to them. Also dating hot chicks does not necessarily mean your life is 100% awesome especially one is dead (Gwen), another is a criminal (Felicia) and another thinks hanging around you would get her killed (MJ and Carlie)

All-New Member

I thought about this for a while. Good topic.

I don't believe that Marvel Comics, or DC Comics, would ever take their most popular character and change their sexual orientation to homosexual or bisexual. At least not in my lifetime. I don't know if that is good or bad.

I do not agree that making him bisexual, or homosexual, would make him an underdog. I see so many inspiring people that do great things in this world that happen to be bisexual or homosexual and they aren't underdogs. I would like to think that if Peter Parker were to be written as a homosexual or bisexual man that it would mean something more than a gimmick to make him an underdog.

It would be really interesting to have examples in the 50+ years of Spider-Man stories where Peter is "supposedly straight". I would love to rereading an issue, or story arc, given the examples provided. Our world has changed so much in 50 years. The civil rights movement was still going on in the United States in 1963 when Amazing Spider-Man #1 debuted.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaggyB View Post
    ?

When was that established because I dont remember reading anything to say that the clone was. First thing i recall her thinking was how hot johnny storm was and that conflicting with her clone memories of peter's love interests. It wasnt established if she went after relationships from both sexes in that way. Just that initial confusion right after her being born as a clone.

But again, I may have missed a book... can you point me to what i missed?
    It might not be true, I didn't read the Ultimate Comics with Peter (only those with Miles). Someone stated that she was bisexual, but I have absolutely no source. I apologizie if I'm saying things that are simply not true.
    Can someone confirm this?