Page 32 of 177 FirstFirst ... 222829303132333435364282132 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by yojimbo View Post
    Peter owns a tech company (while he graduated in biology, but never mind that, Doc Ock can take a PhD in no time) and Spider-Man is his bodyguard. It's the Silver Age status quo of Iron Man, no matter how it will eventually diverge. Slott basically took the basic concept of another character and put Spider-Man there, I agree with Spidercide that it's hardly a creative idea.
    It's still a superficial comparison. Peter's operating similarly with Spider-Man, for obvious reasons since he was building tech for Spidey long before Parker Industries, but Peter is still Peter Parker, a kinda weird genius who made a car that can turn into a whale. Now, is it original? Not entirely. But since Peter hasn't been put in this position before, I'll easily disagree upon its creativity. Peter will still do most things different than Stark, and that's really what this is all about, what a guy who's never been rich will do when he finds himself at the top of the food chain.

I have no problem with new situations
    I can tell. It's funny that whenever someone says that, it's usually immedially followed by a 'but'...

however
    Well, close enough.

the idea of Peter suddenly a millionaire and with a global reach is for me a step too far for the character. Tony Stark lost his companies more than once, but he has never reach the point when all his belongings are on the street because he didn't pay rent (like it happened to Peter). For Peter already having a stable job (like he had at Horizon) is a big step forward.
    Sometimes you just gotta live dangerously. But anyway, it's not like it was suddenly. Peter's been creating little doodads for Horizon Labs that put his name on the map a while back. Otto got him some backers, things got hairy before Secret Wars, and now he got the world cheap internet with the help of Ghost Jedi investors. For a guy who once beat up a three-headed Sentinel, I'm fine with the new status quo, no buts.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by yojimbo View Post
    Peter owns a tech company (while he graduated in biology, but never mind that, Doc Ock can take a PhD in no time) and Spider-Man is his bodyguard. It's the Silver Age status quo of Iron Man, no matter how it will eventually diverge. Slott basically took the basic concept of another character and put Spider-Man there, I agree with Spidercide that it's hardly a creative idea.

I have no problem with new situations, however the idea of Peter suddenly a millionaire and with a global reach is for me a step too far for the character. Tony Stark lost his companies more than once, but he has never reach the point when all his belongings are on the street because he didn't pay rent (like it happened to Peter). For Peter already having a stable job (like he had at Horizon) is a big step forward.
    And wasn't the original plan that Peter would be directly opposing Tony? It would have been Peter actually taking Tony's status quo away from him in-story. International Iron Man itself is a big step for Tony. This is Peter making bigger jumps with far less time to make it feel natural, and it's hypocritical that a status quos like the marriage, particularly with Mary Jane making money, somehow makes it hard to "relate" to Peter, or it's unreasonable for him to get that level of income, but now he's the CEO of a company.

Spidey deserved the negative publicity from the Daily Bugle because he was always kind of a dick towards JJJ.

Peter is better of not being married

Peter should never go back to working as a photographer

JMS' Spider-man run is overrated

Quote Originally Posted by Aruran. View Post
    I think I said it earlier in this thread, but I really do think Peter's intelligences hurts Spider-Man in the long run and it would be better if Spider-Man was always average intelligences.

The only real reason you'd want Peter to be intelligent is because of him making the webshooters.
    I could see the argument for Peter being in the top ten percent (IE- one of the three smartest kids in a typical class of 30) in terms of intelligence rather than a genius inventor, but I don't think average intelligence would work for the series.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

I agree. I dislike the recent portrayal of Peter being on----or near----Tony Stark/Reed Richards' intellect levels. I always thought he should be well above average intelligence but still looking up to Tony and Reed rather than on a par with them. I always liked the old moments when Reed would be surprised and a bit impressed at how Spidey/Peter would handle himself around a lab and had a solid understanding of physics and the like but he shouldn't be his peer, or even close to it, IMO.

BANNED

Peter built his own web-shooters in high school. And even then, his current crop of inventions aren't exactly opening portals. Affordable and reliable internet could probably be seen as too Quantum Physics, though.

Quote Originally Posted by cyberhubbs View Post
    Peter built his own web-shooters in high school. And even then, his current crop of inventions aren't exactly opening portals. Affordable and reliable internet could probably be seen as too Quantum Physics, though.
    Well, yeah....that's kinda my point. If building affordable, wearable internet was that easy it wouldn't have taken the top guys at Apple to do it. It's not just that, though: over the last 10 years or so ("The Big Event Era"), it seems that Spidey is routinely using what appears to be genius-level intellect to solve a lot of problems which is a far cry from the old complaint that he was being portrayed too immature and inexperienced. IMO, he needs to be somewhere in between the two tangents.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by oldschool View Post
    Well, yeah....that's kinda my point. If building affordable, wearable internet was that easy it wouldn't have taken the top guys at Apple to do it. It's not just that, though: over the last 10 years or so ("The Big Event Era"), it seems that Spidey is routinely using what appears to be genius-level intellect to solve a lot of problems which is a far cry from the old complaint that he was being portrayed too immature and inexperienced. IMO, he needs to be somewhere in between the two tangents.
    It's not that affordable, reliable internet is impossible; it's more that it'd be bad for profits. Like having a phone that doesn't break easily. Or not trying to make the real money on cheap accessories. The point seems more like Peter not being the kinda guy who's gonna price gouge the public, and for that they would have his loyalty. Like a comic book version of Todd Howard.

Far as how he's solved big event problems...I honestly can't think of anything that stands out. Examples?

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Well, what have you read with the character? I think that's a good place to start .
    Let's see.....going backwards.....

First three issues of the current ASM. Interesting concept, didnt care for the execution that much (hate Zodiac, which doesnt help).

Superior Spider-Man, from start to finish.

From there it gets hazy. Random issues that had a cool cover or looked like a good place to jump in. Humberto Ramos' first Spidey work from way back when might have been my first Spider-Man purchase, JMS and Romita Jr.'s run (well, a chunk of it anyway) with the weird totem stuff. Nothing that really stands out at the moment, though to be fair I may not be recovered from my Thanksgiving turkey coma.

So, you know, bits of this and that from here and there. And of course, I've read about Parker in Avengers and other team-up titles or guest appearances.

For the non adult Parker stuff......

The first two or three years of Ultimate Spidey, then Miles' first two trades and his last pre-SW series. Spider-Men. Scarlet Spider with Kaine, Spider-Gwen, and Hopeless' Spider-Woman, which my wife adores.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    I could see the argument for Peter being in the top ten percent (IE- one of the three smartest kids in a typical class of 30) in terms of intelligence rather than a genius inventor, but I don't think average intelligence would work for the series.
    I guess what I'm saying about average intelligence is that you end going between looking brilliant at times and looking just plain stupid.
    The whole Peter not living up to his potential idea becomes stronger because school isn't as easy for him in the early, especially with the whole balancing the two lives.
    "What about wheatcakes next time?"-Peter
    "Wheatcakes are yucky."-Annie

CHANGE LEOPARDON!!!! Mr. Spider-marvel's Avatar

I honesty think SpOck was a better Spider-man than Peter.
    He was able to find a balance of being Peter Parker and Spider-man without dodging responsibility.

BANNED

Except for all the times Otto tried not to be held accountable for basically murdering Peter, coming up with excuses during the brain scans so as to not be found out, and then bailed at the end of Goblin Nation because Norman was actually a strong opponent.

CHANGE LEOPARDON!!!! Mr. Spider-marvel's Avatar

Yeah SpOck did kind of screw the pooch on those accounts but still it was interesting to see. But hey at least he left Pete a company he barely knows how to run. I haven't read the new run yet so I don't know how he has become such a success aside from cheap internet bracelets.

BANNED

Peter built some pretty commercially successful items for Horizon Labs before Otto came along. But to be fair, affordable and unlimited internet alone can probably make you crazy rich.

I dug Otto's turn as Spider-Man, but at the same time I'm well aware that he had his faults. Otto sacrificed a lot of things In ways Peter wouldn't have. Wouldn't say it was the right way to do things, but it was certainly Otto's way of doing things.