Page 5 of 176 FirstFirst 1234567891555105 ... LastLast
    All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Porker View Post
    4.) I think we have a misunderstanding about the word "underdog" here. I talked about this with a friend, because this topic wouldn't let me go and she told me that what I mean is another type of "underdog" than that one that most people think of.
    In my understanding an underdog is someone who is a victim of social or political injustice or a person in adversity or in a position of inferiority (x) and when I read that I automatically think of people who are not heterosexual.
    Peter Parker is an underdog because he was smaller, weaker, and more timid then his classmates. I don't think that sexual orientation automatically dictates that you are an underdog.

Again, it would be really interesting if you could provide examples of Peter Parker being "supposedly straight". I have been reading Spider-Man comics since 1988 and maybe I have missed something.

The best part of Spider-Man is that when that mask is on anyone could be Spider-Man. I think Bendis wrote about that when he introduced Miles as Spider-Man. He could be black, white, straight, gay, or whatever you want to think.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Cosmic View Post
    I know this is a thread titled "controversial Spider-Man opinions" but can we PLEASE leave out discussion of sexual orientation, religious affiliation, or political views of Peter Parker and/or his supporting cast?

There was PLENTY to talk about before these topics were brought up and there remains much more yet.
    I can totally understand why it would be best to avoid these topics. I have faith that the comments will be respectful and any comments that aren't will be swiftly deleted by the moderators.

I find Peter Porker's posts to be very interesting and I think he is doing a great job conveying his points in English, which is not his native language. That is very difficult to do.

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

edit

somehow got two threads mixed up.

I do wish Peter kept his new powers from The Other storyline.
    Last edited by CrimsonEchidna; 05-14-2014 at 07:14 PM.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Porker View Post
    1.) So you're saying that not being straight would change the meaning of what his character intended to be. So being straight is a major point in his life? I'm not trying to provoke you, I just don't get it. The thing is that I don't get how wish-fulfillment for straight, white American male underdogs is necessary anymore, when nowadays you get to see so many of these types in the media. While not so much with people of minorities. Just a thought.
    I'm creating many characters on my own, because it's a good way of practicing character design. But that's not the topic here and I don't know how this is somehow an argument, it's not like I work for Marvel. You could say that about anything, really.

2.) If Jessica WAS bisexual (which I don't know) and Peter wasn't, it would indicate two things: A) Sexuality is a choice and B) female bisexual characters are hot, but male bisexual characters aren't. That's what I would find hypocritical.
    And yes, you're right about how we can't be sure how sexuality works, but this way it would seem like two people with the same genes, memories (so basically the same lifes until a point) and the same feelings for certain people can still decide whether or not they want to feel attracted to all genders or not and that doesn't make sense and that's definitely not how sexuality works.
    I'm glad that Jessica got her own life or is working on getting one and i definitely think that even clones could have different sexualities, but not in this context.

3.) Why would it be nonsensical bullshit? I never said that being close to a male friend makes someone bisexual or gay, that would be insulting. I just think that it would make sense IF he could develop romantic feelings for one of his close male friends, because they have interesting dynamics and work well together. Maybe it's just me, but I made the experience that love builds wonderfully on close and deep friendship and that's basically the point I was trying to make (I am sorry if I'm not choosing the right words at times, I'm not a native English speaker)

4.) I think we have a misunderstanding about the word "underdog" here. I talked about this with a friend, because this topic wouldn't let me go and she told me that what I mean is another type of "underdog" than that one that most people think of.
    In my understanding an underdog is someone who is a victim of social or political injustice or a person in adversity or in a position of inferiority (x) and when I read that I automatically think of people who are not heterosexual.

5.) Imo a black Wally West wouldn't be entirely stupid!

I mean, we all have different opinions on things, but I am not that strict about changing ethnicities, religions, genders or sexualities of characters. It just isn't a big deal for me
    A lot of food for thought here.

I don't think it would be a good idea to make Peter Parker bisexual because as readers we've been in the character's head a lot, and there's no indication that he's attracted to men.

It wouldn't make him an underdog and it wouldn't work if it did. In the United States, the term "underdog" isn't limited to victims of bias (although it can apply to that.) It's been in use since the 1850s, and inspired a 1950s cartoon. This was in a much less enlightened time when bisexuality was hardly, if ever, discussed.

Peter Parker's adventures occur in settings where bisexuality is more accepted than almost anywhere else in the country. He's a twenty-something New Yorker who often hangs out with people in academia or journalism.

Even if being bisexual made Peter an underdog, it would change the tenor of various interactions if he were tormented because he was a minority. He would no longer be a loner in school/ wherever because he's smart or has different priorities than his contemporaries. Flash Thompson picking on him becomes a hate crime.

One complicating factor is that Peter Parker was based on a middle aged guy's understanding of what high school was like in the 1960s. The experiences of a smart high school student in New York would be different now, which might merit some kind of changes.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    If one of those topics starts dominating the thread, I'll move posts about it into a thread.

That's what happened with the old controversial opinions thread, which led to thread drifts about Sins Past and whether Aunt May should be killed off.
    Thanks. That's what I was concerned about.

Quote Originally Posted by CRuby28 View Post
    I can totally understand why it would be best to avoid these topics. I have faith that the comments will be respectful and any comments that aren't will be swiftly deleted by the moderators.

I find Peter Porker's posts to be very interesting and I think he is doing a great job conveying his points in English, which is not his native language. That is very difficult to do.
    Thanks for understanding where I was coming from.

Fantastic Member

1) I still think Aunt May should have stayed dead. Regardless of the good work JMS did with the May/Peter relationship, she's a relic, an artifact of previous stories and adds very little in her own right any more.

2) There has NEVER been a single worthwhile Symbiote character - Venom, Carnage and all the myriad clones/offspring/rip-offs, all should have been disposed of if Brock wasn't going to stay evil (and he WAS evil, not some twisted antihero, a straight up bad dude.)

-Gwen should not have been killed off
    -George Stacy should not have been killed off
    -Gwen should be brought back
    -One More Day was a good idea
    -Peter and Mary Jane are not right for each other
    -SHED was an awful story
    -Tobey Maguire was a lousy Spider-Man
    -Josh Keaton is the best Spider-Man
    -Ultimate Spider-Man is a terrible show (though I don't see why that would be controversial)
    -Aunt May is still an important character
    -The symbiotes should've stopped after Carnage (Though Anti-Venom is good$
    -Flash should never have lost his legs
    -Eddie Brock should've stayed Anti-Venom
    -Remender shouldn't have killed Flash's family
    Last edited by KurtW95; 05-14-2014 at 06:16 PM.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Paul Jenkins is a criminally underrated Spidey writer, and I believe his work on Venom (The Hunger) ranks in the top 25 Spider-man stories ever written.

As much as I loved Superior Spider-Man, I felt Goblin Nation was incredibly anti-climactic and rather disappointing. However, my favourite arc was actually that of revealing Phil Urich as Hobgoblin. That said, I feel Urich's Hobgoblin was a fantastic character aesthetically and developmentally, and has been my favourite most recent villain.

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    -Remender shouldn't have killed Flash's family
    Wait a minute, Flash's family is dead? For really?
    This is the first I heard of this.

Quote Originally Posted by Aruran. View Post
    Wait a minute, Flash's family is dead? For really?
    This is the first I heard of this.
    Flash's father died during/after Spider-Island. Flash's brother-in-law (who we never saw before) was killed during the Crime Master arc later on. His mother and sister are still alive.

My thoughts:

1. Marvel should have two Peter Parkers in two different books: one married to MJ and Aunt May DEAD and the other as the current post OMD Spider-Man
    2. Women in Peter's life, especially if they know he's Spider-Man, should have protection ie - if MJ is still married, give her an iron man suit to protect herself so she's not a damsel in distress.
    3. Peter should only date ladies that can protect themselves - ie Black Cat. Dating other people would be irresponsible.
    4. The TIME LOOP idea regarding the end of the Clone Saga was a damn good idea.
    5. Paul Jenkins's run on Spider-Man was not good and the art did not gel well.
    6. There has never been a good Spider-Man movie. Spider-Man 2 got parts right but not all.
    7. Peter needs to get over the continual Aunt May in peril and let her die.
    8. When Peter's character does not progress its just kind of stale.
    9. There needs to be a Spider-Man: THE END without radioactive semen.
    10. Peter needs to be slapped for his sense of selective responsiblity.

Let the hate begin!

BRING THE HATE.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    Flash's father died during/after Spider-Island. Flash's brother-in-law (who we never saw before) was killed during the Crime Master arc later on. His mother and sister are still alive.
    Oh ok.
    Yeah KurtW85 just made it seems like they died too.
    Last edited by Aruran.; 05-15-2014 at 10:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Cosmic View Post
    Thanks. That's what I was concerned about.

Thanks for understanding where I was coming from.
    I understand that very well, too. If it takes over too much, just put it in another thread.

I'm glad this discussion has been really respectful thus far, that would be the first time I had such a good discussion about sexuality of comicbook characters
    I'll stay respectful, too.

Quote Originally Posted by askyla View Post
    Paul Jenkins is a criminally underrated Spidey writer, and I believe his work on Venom (The Hunger) ranks in the top 25 Spider-man stories ever written.

As much as I loved Superior Spider-Man, I felt Goblin Nation was incredibly anti-climactic and rather disappointing. However, my favourite arc was actually that of revealing Phil Urich as Hobgoblin. That said, I feel Urich's Hobgoblin was a fantastic character aesthetically and developmentally, and has been my favourite most recent villain.
    Jenkins is great. I thought his Venom story was just okay, but I really enjoyed his Peter Parker Spider-Man work with Buckingham, especially the first appearance of Fusion, probably the best new Spider-Man villain of the last twenty years.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    This was an interesting discussion on the old board.

Writers should be more concerned about leaving the franchise intact for their successors.
    I agree, and that's a large part of the reason I'm not a fan of JMS's work on ASM.