Page 51 of 176 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561101151 ... LastLast

Felicia was basically Peter's sidekick/partner.

I think Peter is better when his partners are his love interest than when they're just some younger person who just so happens to have the same powers he does.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    The existence of Miles Morales actually begs an interesting question: Where is the line between "the appeal of Spider-Man is that he never had a mentor" and "it makes sense for Peter to mentor him"? Both of those arguments are valid.

My first guess is that the middle ground between those two positions is Peter treating Miles like an adult and giving him far more independence than other sidekicks have. The "don't do it my way, do it your own way" line from the ITSV trailer comes to mind.
    I think the dichotomy is that Peter can be subtle or small mentor to Miles, or quickly gets phased out of the way like he seems to be for Miles' games, rather than a hardcore Superhero mentor like the DC heroes get.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Felicia was basically Peter's sidekick/partner.
    She got in the way plenty of times, decided to go back to being a criminal, and when dating him again, she owed Fisk a favor and she had to help him out, which got in Spidey's way.

Plus her bad luck powers inexplicably affected Spidey so badly he needed to go to Dr. Strange to ger rid of them.

The standards she set as a sidekick/partner are very low

I think Peter is better when his partners are his love interest than when they're just some younger person who just so happens to have the same powers he does.
    Chat is kinda another case like that, kinda because she sometimes looked so overpowered that Spidey looked like the sidekick lol.

I think the dichotomy is that Peter can be subtle or small mentor to Miles, or quickly gets phased out of the way like he seems to be for Miles' games, rather than a hardcore Superhero mentor like the DC heroes get.
    Yeah mentoring is the best role for him, sidekick/partner wouldn't make much sense unless the other character knows him personally and is part of his life, 'cause if they don't, then they can't always work together, so yeah, mentoring can work better.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    She got in the way plenty of times, decided to go back to being a criminal, and when dating him again, she owed Fisk a favor and she had to help him out, which got in Spidey's way.

Plus her bad luck powers inexplicably affected Spidey so badly he needed to go to Dr. Strange to ger rid of them.

The standards she set as a sidekick/partner are very low
    Well, I never said she was necessarily great at the job, although the spandex costume and kissing probably made it worth it for Peter to some extent .

I don't like the reveal of Harry.....
    Last edited by Hypestyle; 10-18-2020 at 04:42 PM.

Astonishing Member

Dude, spoilers! You couldn't use spoiler tags for that?

Astonishing Member

So that’s why I wasn’t as bothered by OMD sidelining MJ; it actually caused writers to focus on other characters for once rather than have MJ eat up screen time!

Lol, i really doubt that MJ was getting in the way of the writers when it come to use other members of the supporting characthers.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    Lol, i really doubt that MJ was getting in the way of the writers when it come to use other members of the supporting characthers.
    I mean, JMS was focusing on the core Parker family but the satellite titles focused on Flash, Liz, Betty, Felicia, etc., so I don't see MJ as particularly limiting to other supporting cast members.

I mean, JMS was focusing on the core Parker family but the satellite titles focused on Flash, Liz, Betty, Felicia, etc., so I don't see MJ as particularly limiting to other supporting cast members.
    I know, it was just JMS direction for his book, wich some liked some didn't. But the cast was still around in the satellite titles, the problem i supposed is that many fans don't think that what happens outside of ASM counts.

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    I know, it was just JMS direction for his book, wich some liked some didn't. But the cast was still around in the satellite titles, the problem i supposed is that many fans don't think that what happens outside of ASM counts.
    The reason why a lot of fans don’t like satellite titles is because it’s a lot of jumping around in books. Hard to keep track of everything.

ASM was easily weakest series during the JMS era, so it’s not like I didn’t read the other Spider-Books.

What is there some quota on main characters? It’s a comic book. They don’t have to worry about casting; they can include as many characters as the writer wants.

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    The reason why a lot of fans don’t like satellite titles is because it’s a lot of jumping around in books. Hard to keep track of everything.

ASM was easily weakest series during the JMS era, so it’s not like I didn’t read the other Spider-Books.

What is there some quota on main characters? It’s a comic book. They don’t have to worry about casting; they can include as many characters as the writer wants.
    I don't think that there is a quota, is just a direction that he took at the time, i'm not sure if he has ever give a reason behind it. But as i said, it wasn't MJ taking away the spotlight, the writers just decided to reduce the cast to that for whatever reason and a good chunk of the fans criticized his run for that (alongside not using the classic rogues gallery).

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Miles' Venom Blast is so overpowered.

Need to take down a towering crime boss who not even your predecessor could seemingly defeat in a straight up fight? Venom Blast!

Need to take down a demonic hellspawn who took down an entire Avengers team? Venom Blast!

Need to take out an entire room of goons and bad guys because the story needs to end in time for Secret Wars? Super Venom Blast!

Need to take down two giant robots in one attack? V-V-V-V-Venom Blast!!!!

Bendis comparing it to Thor's hammer didn't really work because it's an attack, not a physical weapon, and if Thor's hammer was the equivalent of the Venom Blast he probably would end most fights with a single throw of Mjolnir.

Need to take down a towering crime boss who not even your predecessor could seemingly defeat in a straight up fight? Venom Blast!

Need to take down a demonic hellspawn who took down an entire Avengers team? Venom Blast!

Need to take out an entire room of goons and bad guys because the story needs to end in time for Secret Wars? Super Venom Blast!

Bendis comparing it to Thor's hammer didn't really work because it's an attack, not a physical weapon, and if Thor's hammer was the equivalent of the Venom Blast he probably would end most fights with a single throw of Mjolnir.
    In all fairness. This was mostly a Bendis thing and I don't think it's really controversial. Most people agree that the Venom Blast thing to really old with time. At least recently I can't remember an instance of this. During Saladin Ahmed's run most stuff that Miles fought simply couldn't be Venom Blasted away. And even in his other appearances in stuff like Venom, while the Venom Blast was useful, it didn't end the fight.

Quote Originally Posted by JTHM View Post
    In all fairness. This was mostly a Bendis thing and I don't think it's really controversial. Most people agree that the Venom Blast thing to really old with time. At least recently I can't remember an instance of this. During Saladin Ahmed's run most stuff that Miles fought simply couldn't be Venom Blasted away. And even in his other appearances in stuff like Venom, while the Venom Blast was useful, it didn't end the fight.
    I've been enjoying Ahmed's run but there's still been one or two instances of him just one-shotting bad guys with it. Actually, I think there was even a joke with Miles being so tired of a straight up fight that he just instantly went to the Venom Blast .

Astonishing Member

It’s because they like pairing him with people that he’s typically weaker than so they like using that as a crutch.

Him skillfully defeating enemies would “undermine” his inexperienced Spider-Man persona.