Page 6 of 176 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656106 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny Mutie View Post
    I agree, and that's a large part of the reason I'm not a fan of JMS's work on ASM.
    The problem with that sort of argument is that it is very vague and undefined. Really, anything could fit into that description of not "leaving the franchise intact for their successors." It's too broad. And the definition really differs from person to person. And it really seems to imply the lack of any sort of real significant development or change, which people seem to enjoy. It really just seems more like an attempt to justify undoing developments in the book that people have a personal problem with, or that altered the story to a status quo they dislike.

I have no problem with people disliking a status quo. I just don't feel that they have to make up larger, more moral arguments to try and diminish said status quo to attempt to justify why it should be undone or ignored.

I agree, and that's a large part of the reason I'm not a fan of JMS's work on ASM.
    JMS didn't like One More Day either.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    JMS didn't like One More Day either.
    However, I think there is some question as to whether or not he didn't agree with the purpose of it, or merely disagreed with it's execution.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertMacQuarrie1 View Post
    However, I think there is some question as to whether or not he didn't agree with the purpose of it, or merely disagreed with it's execution.
    Execution. Or, rather, consequences. Remember, JMS' plan was to undo all spidey stories as far back as 1972, bringing back Gwen Stacy, as well. This was, of course, not palatable for, well, everyone else. It would undo almost every story in the Marvel Universe.

Brand New Day became necessary because Civil War and especially the reveal of Spidey's identity ruined the character. I didn't like any of the new supporting characters such as Carlie or Michelle and they felt out of place.

The Ultimate Universe introduced much better versions of Aunt May, MJ and Gwen Stacy. JMS started to turn Aunt May 616 into a useful character when she learned that Peter is Spider-Man but this has been undone with OMD.

Ultimate Jessica Drew is completely underused and underdeveloped. I can't recall her doing anything important being part of the Ultimates and the fact that fans are still arguing about her sexual preferences should be proof that she hasn't been properly developed as a character.

Kaine should have been the vessel for SpOck after his supposed death in Grim Hunt. Both he and Otto have some history together, he even killed Otto at one point. I also think that he would be more appropriate to SpOck's methods of fighting crime and one of the plot points could have been Otto trying to stop the cellular degeneration.

While I think that it was the right thing to introduce Miles Morales as Spider-Man, it happened at the wrong time. It felt like things were going somewhere with Peter finishing high school and beginning to train with the Ultimates but then he died and along came Miles, so we spent another couple of issues with our protagonist coming to terms with his powers and the principle of great power and great responsibility.

Spider-Man (at least on Earths 616 and 1610) should never voluntarily kill another person. He has to make a stand by not succumbing to his anger and finding another way to stop the villain. The character has never been about doing things the easy way and most of the general public and the other heroes are looking up to him. That's why he should be an example. A symbol of what is the right thing to do, if you will.

None of the live action movies have done Peter Parker and Spider-Man justice. Why doesn't Marvel produce an animated feature starring Spidey? Preferably one of the DTVs planned by Greg Weisman and with Josh Keaton as Spidey's voice actor.

Spodermen should be part of Spider-Verse.
    "Tell me there's something better. Go ahead, try."

Miles Morales would have been better recieved if he was introduced before peter died. If bendis gave fans a chance to get to know him before killing peter, I think more people would have been accepting of peter dying and the person replacing him. I get that "Anything can happen and death can strike anyone at any time and that's not how it happens in real life" well, people can't fly, juggle tanks, or climb up skyscrapers in real life either.

One More Day/Brand New Day could have been avoided if Peter didn't unmask publicly during civil war. Seriously, why did peter have to unmask on live television? He could have revealed it to shield and left it at that. I suppose someone could hack into shields files and reveal it that way, it would be less stupid.

I don't think that peter needs to always be broke/unemployed/single to be interesting. As we saw before Superior Spider Man, having a job and a girlfriend/wife can bring on a whole new set of problems, a writer just has to be creative. Let the poor guy be happy.

I would like it if peter saw a therapist to deal with his guilt complex, yes his guilt is what urged him to be a hero, but carrying all that guilt inside is not good for you.

1. Dan Slott is one of the greatest Spidey writers of all time and belongs in the same conversation as Stan Lee, Roger Stern, J.M. DeMatteis, and the other two or three writers that people generally name whenever that conversation comes up.

2. Spiderman's Rogue's Gallery is the best in all of comics. Even better than Batman's.

3. With the above being said, Spider-Man hasn't had a truly great new addition to his Rogue's Gallery since Venom and Carnage in the late 80's/early 90's; he DESPERATELY needs some new villains that will stick.

4. Spider-Man being married didn't necessarily mean he had to "feel old," but writers eventually seemed to start subconsciously writing him a lot older just because he was married.

5. When Spider-Man (Peter Parker) is written as too old/mature, he loses a large part of what makes him unique and appealing as a character, and he runs the risk of becoming just another bland, vanilla, iconic super hero, like Superman or Captain America.

6. Spider-Man should always have AT LEAST two solo monthly titles; Amazing and one other (probably Spectacular).

7. Spider-Man has one of the best supporting casts in all of comics and Dan Slott has done a better job at incorporating, balancing, and developing them than any previous writer not named Stan Lee.

8. Spider-Man should ALWAYS keep the black and white costume but just alternate between it and the classic blue and red one like he did in the 80's (Maybe wear the red and blue one in the day and the black and white one at night).

9. The black and white costume is better than the classic red and blue one, but the red and blue one is just so timeless and iconic that few people like to admit it.

10. Amazing Spider-Man 2 was one of the best Spider-Man movies yet, and proves that Spidey doesn't have to revert back to Marvel for him to be done right on the big screen.

11. Doc Ock has always been Spidey's top adversary and a better arch enemy for Spider-Man than The Green Goblin (Norman); the only reason people argue otherwise is because Norman killed Gwen, but they forget that he was also dead and unused himself for 25 years.

12. Flash Thompson is a way better host for the Venom symbiote than Eddie Brock, but Venom should ALWAYS be a villain. Making him a hero robs Spidey of one of his greatest villains of all time.
    Last edited by Uncanny Mutie; 05-20-2014 at 10:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post

One More Day/Brand New Day could have been avoided if Peter didn't unmask publicly during civil war. Seriously, why did peter have to unmask on live television? He could have revealed it to shield and left it at that. I suppose someone could hack into shields files and reveal it that way, it would be less stupid.
    I have ALWAYS said this, so I totally agree. I believe the fact that he unmasked in front of the whole world like an idiot was the main reason for the whole OMD reboot, and not solely the fact that he was married like they tried to frame it. I think taking away the marriage was the second biggest thing they wanted to do with a reboot, after giving him his secret identity back. Or at least that's how it always felt to me.
    Last edited by Uncanny Mutie; 05-20-2014 at 11:09 AM.

All-New Member The Amazing Spider-Man's Avatar

The deaths of Capt. Stacy and Gwen Stacy are more important to Spider-Man than the death of his uncle.

12. Flash Thompson is a way better host for the Venom symbiote than Eddie Brock, but Venom should ALWAYS be a villain. Making him a hero robs Spidey of one of his greatest villains of all time.
    I agree with a lot of your points, and even here I agree that Flash Thompson is a better Venom than Eddie Brock, but I do think part of Venom's character is his grayness regarding morality and "hero vs villain." What I would say is that writers should always make sure that Spidey can't trust Venom; Venom should "always" be antagonistic towards Spidey, even when they are teaming up against a great threat.

-Pav, who got the first Big Time collection this past weekend at comic con and loved the introduction of Flash as Venom...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Quote Originally Posted by arosenbarger View Post
    6. There has never been a good Spider-Man movie. Spider-Man 2 got parts right but not all.
    So many things on this thread that I agree with, I could be quoting almost every post. But I agree with this one most of all. I keep thinking that maybe it's just because I'm too much of a purist, yet I love the Ultimate Spider-Man comic and the Spectacular Spider-Man cartoon, so it's not that. I just don't think the movies are very good.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemon Head View Post
    Spodermen should be part of Spider-Verse.
    YES. Slott, are ya reading this?

Fantastic Member

Outside of the brilliant Spectacular Spider-Man cartoon, Peter Parker’s high school drama isn’t that interesting. He’s a much better character when he’s older.

I don’t get people’s fascination with Gwen Stacy…in the comics. I totally understand why people love Emma Stone’s Gwen.

Norman Osborn is a bland, one-note villain. Harry and Roderick are the best Goblins.

Doctor Octopus was the greatest Spider-Man villain even before Superior.

Flash is far more interesting as Venom than Eddie. Mac COULD have been too but they wasted that opportunity.

I find the Spider-Man / Black Cat relationship out of place in the Spider-Mythos. Doesn’t Peter’s whole origin story hinge around him regretting that he let a thief escape? She makes more sense as a Daredevil cast member.

I like it when Peter teams up with other Spider-Men (Ben, Miguel, Miles, Kaine, Mayday in MC2, Jessica in Ultimate, ect) and wish it happened on a regular basis.

Spider-Man 3 wasn’t a great movie but it was better than people made it out to be.

BANNED

1. Dan Slott is one of the greatest Spidey writers of all time and belongs in the same conversation as Stan Lee, Roger Stern, J.M. DeMatteis, and the other two or three writers that people generally name whenever that conversation comes up.
    I strongly disagree.

12. Flash Thompson is a way better host for the Venom symbiote than Eddie Brock,
    Strongly disagree.

but Venom should ALWAYS be a villain. Making him a hero robs Spidey of one of his greatest villains of all time.
    Agreed on this point.

Roger Stern is a wonderful Spiderman writer.

J. Michael Straczynski is one of the worst things to ever happen to the Spiderman comics.