Page 65 of 176 FirstFirst ... 155561626364656667686975115165 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    This is the same problem with the cartoons.

As Ultimate Spider-Man went on we barely ever saw Peter as Peter and not Spider-Man. We would be lucky to see him unmasked, let alone out of the costume. One time he actually hung out with Miles in his house in costume, unmasked, as if nobody could see through the window. And all his normal friends end up getting powers and costumes.

Marvel's Spider-Man Peter gets more out-of-costume moments but he still feels like a Superhero 80% of the time because all his core friends end up becoming Superheroes and he doesn't really do stuff outside the Superhero stuff. The Horizon work usually feeds into his Spider-Man work. He even once told Ironheart that most of his friends were Superheroes. And this is Peter Parker we're talking about. All the relatively normal characters only make one appearance at most and are never really treated as major characters. I never realized how much the show needed a normal, grounded, character until MJ showed up and called out how insane and weird all the stuff going on in the show is.
    The way you talk about MJ, sounds like she kinda saved whatever was left of the show lol.

But yeah, pretty sad that supporting cast doesn't get a lot of focus, JJ is the one who has the most screen time, and part of the reason he has that much is because he now knows Peter is Spidey, although his character still has a proper life outside of that with the podcasts, plus his character always revolved around Spidey, so he has it better than literally everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    Speaking of comparing Peter Parker to Barry Allen and Hal Jordan, I think this comparison adds credibility to a theory I had for a while that Ezekiel was the Golden Age Spider-Man. I know someone might read this and go "Wait, how can he be the Golden Age Spider-Man if there was no Golden Age Spider-Man?"

And that's exactly my point. There could have been a Golden Age Spider-Man to co-exist alongside Jay Garrick and Alan Scott, but someone wasn't proactive enough to make it happen. It is true in the real world just as much as it is true of Ezekiel as a character.

I say this because if someone created a Spider-Man in the 1930s/40s, his origin would have probably been magic-based and similar to Ezekiel's.
    Well, Marvel doesn't mind saying the "Remember the new guy?" trope, they did it with two Superman rip offs after all, Sentry and Blue Marvel.

Would be funny if Ezekiel used the Noir costume , wouldn't be the first time he'd steal another Peter's costume either, since in Spider-Verse we had a random Ezekiel who had the Last Stand costume.

Either way, not really sure how that would work, aside from sliding timescale, part of the point of Ezekiel's character is that he's a pussy who was never actually active as a hero, which is why he even sacrificed himself for Peter, he realized that Peter was the better person because he never made excuses, was always active and didn't think "I'll do it later", Ezekiel being active at any point could kinda ruin that.

It's because Post-BND Spider-Man has disproportionately relied on events than on character stories. It kinda has to, otherwise it risks drawing attention to OMD.
    Whenever they use MJ poorly they did that by default anyways lol.

I think it's less because of that, and more because super-heroes became more hero foccused on that time, which ironically made OMD even more pointless since Peter's social life isn't used muych, so kicking out MJ was kinda redundant lol.

I doubt any of it was intentional, but it's kind of funny to me how much Insomniac Spidey is like the Barry Allen Flash:

- Emphasis on being a science Superhero.

- Reporter love interest.

- Young protege who was introduced as a big fan of your alter ego (bonus points for having elements of Arrowverse Wally what with being black and having a cop dad).

- Rogues Gallery that unionizes.
    You're wrong because Peter never says he's the fastest in the world, only for someone to be faster than him every 5 minutes .

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    The way you talk about MJ, sounds like she kinda saved whatever was left of the show lol.
    Let me just say I was really impressed how memorable she ended up being for how little screentime she actually had .
    Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    this is why I dislike this MJ cause this was during the time in the Flash Tv show they were really pushing Iris a ton and whenever Insomniac Mj speaks I am reminded of how Iris feels slighted in the Flash and tries to get more involved in the hero stuff.
    Definitely part of my problem with it is that it feels like it's evoking other characters rather than being something that's genuinely Mary Jane Watson (at least to me).

Astonishing Member

Well, Marvel doesn't mind saying the "Remember the new guy?" trope, they did it with two Superman rip offs after all, Sentry and Blue Marvel.

Would be funny if Ezekiel used the Noir costume , wouldn't be the first time he'd steal another Peter's costume either, since in Spider-Verse we had a random Ezekiel who had the Last Stand costume.

Either way, not really sure how that would work, aside from sliding timescale, part of the point of Ezekiel's character is that he's a pussy who was never actually active as a hero, which is why he even sacrificed himself for Peter, he realized that Peter was the better person because he never made excuses, was always active and didn't think "I'll do it later", Ezekiel being active at any point could kinda ruin that.
    This is exactly what I meant. Ezekiel's "I'll do it later" attitude mirrors the lack of a Golden Age Spider-Man in real life. There could have been a Spider-Man prior to the one Lee/Ditko created in the Silver Age, but no one bothered to create him.

That is why, in a thematic way, Ezekiel is to Peter what Jay was to Barry and what Alan was to Hal...but with the twist that Ezekiel chose to slack off.
    Last edited by Kaitou D. Kid; 11-07-2020 at 04:40 PM.

This is exactly what I meant. Ezekiel's "I'll do it later" attitude mirrors the lack of a Golden Age Spider-Man in real life. There could have been a Spider-Man prior to the one Lee/Ditko created in the Silver Age, but no one bothered to create him.
    That's not quite how these things work. Ideas aren't things that come to people just like that. It often is a case of inspiration or random chance. The reason a Golden Age Spider-Man doesn't exist is because the idea hadn't come to anyone just yet. Not because of laziness but because that just isn't how these things happen.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    That's not quite how these things work. Ideas aren't things that come to people just like that. It often is a case of inspiration or random chance. The reason a Golden Age Spider-Man doesn't exist is because the idea hadn't come to anyone just yet. Not because of laziness but because that just isn't how these things happen.
    Who knows? Both spider-themed heroes and Trickster archetypes go back hundreds of years. There could have been at least one person in the 1930s/40s who had an inspiration for a character similar to Spider-Man in either powers or personality, but then shrugged it off and didn't try to make it happen? Everyday people come up with brilliant ideas all the time that they dismiss two seconds later as "stupid" for no good reason.
    Last edited by Kaitou D. Kid; 11-08-2020 at 10:23 AM.

Let me just say I was really impressed how memorable she ended up being for how little screentime she actually had .
    Guess MJ has a knack for giving a good impression with not much screen time .

That is why, in a thematic way, Ezekiel is to Peter what Jay was to Barry and what Alan was to Hal...but with the twist that Ezekiel chose to slack off.
    Wait, I don't get it, you're saying that in your theory he was the Golden Age Spidey, but was never actually active? 'Cause the only thing what you're thinking of does is give him this specific time he was young enough to fight, but never having done so, and the rest of his character would be the same.

Also, thinking of it, kinda sucks that Ezekiel and Cassandra are never talked about, as in, if they were aware of each other or not, not even sure if Cassandra even knew about Spider Society... Only time they kinda show up in the same story is in Grim Hunt, and the Ezekiel there is just a disguised Chameleon.

Thinking of it, Araña's comic has a picture of Jessica as a previous "Hunter" for Spider-Society (Or at least, someone who looks exactly like her), wonder if it means Ezekiel ever interacted with her, could be cool.

Who knows? Both spider-themed heroes and Trickster archetypes go back hundreds of years. There could have been at least one person in the 1930s/40s who had an inspiration for a character similar to Spider-Man in either powers or personality, but then shrugged it off and didn't try to make it happen? Everyday people come up with brilliant ideas all the time that they dismiss two seconds later as "stupid" for no good reason.
    There may have been Spider-type characters back then, but they're likely to have been villains, since it's actually kinda weird to have a Spider-Character be on the heroic side, specially considering how much the stories back then were straight forward with "evil powers" and whatnot.

Astonishing Member

Wait, I don't get it, you're saying that in your theory he was the Golden Age Spidey, but was never actually active? 'Cause the only thing what you're thinking of does is give him this specific time he was young enough to fight, but never having done so, and the rest of his character would be the same.
    Exactly. He could have been the first Spider-Man, but he chose not to be. It's why Ezekiel is such a tragic character.

Spectacular Member

Another one: Green Goblin's return storyline is better than the original one (except for The Night Gwen Stacy Died).

For all that Spider-Man's scientific genius is lauded by fans, writers and fans alike seem to reject taking it to its logical conclusion. None of Peter's advanced suits and tools have stuck and one of the least liked adaptations, Spider-Man Unlimited, featured a Spider-Man who wore a suit made of nanomachines and even had anti-symbiote features which would come in very handy when dealing with Venom or Carnage.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    For all that Spider-Man's scientific genius is lauded by fans, writers and fans alike seem to reject taking it to its logical conclusion. None of Peter's advanced suits and tools have stuck and one of the least liked adaptations, Spider-Man Unlimited, featured a Spider-Man who wore a suit made of nanomachines and even had anti-symbiote features which would come in very handy when dealing with Venom or Carnage.
    I think it just all comes down to execution. People like to see Peter using his science smarts to outthink and outsmart his villains, but less so when it comes to the Spider-Suit needing to be unnecessarily teched out or for him to have gadgets out the whazoo like Batman does.

Astonishing Member

I think it just all comes down to execution. People like to see Peter using his science smarts to outthink and outsmart his villains, but less so when it comes to the Spider-Suit needing to be unnecessarily teched out or for him to have gadgets out the whazoo like Batman does.
    I’d settle for him actually having a job in his field. It doesn’t have to be a “super” lab, but still a physical science field of some sort.

For all people talk about Peter growing up, it doesn’t feel like they care what his future actually is.

Mighty Member

I will say that this has bugged me a lot about modern Spider-Man interpretations. The suit which was basically, gloves, a shirt, pants, boots and a mask, now has multiple vision googles built in, an AI, etc.

It's also interesting in the movies how people can't buy a live action Peter making his cloth Spider-Man outfit, but don't blink at web shooters.

Here's a hot take, but I suppose this goes for all superheroes...Sometimes trying to adhere to "realism" and over explain everything makes comic book movies more ridiculous.

spider-man should not be smart enough to construct gadgets beyond his web pooters by himself, he should be good enough at science nerd stuff to teach it and understand it and use it but he shouldn't be considered a particularly exceptional mind, especially not in the MU
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Mighty Member

Peter is also a working class hero unlike Batman. So even if he was capable of inventing all sorts of crazy tech, he wouldn't have access to the funds/resources necessary to do so. Dude can barely pay rent half the time.
    Last edited by Spider-Tiger; 11-10-2020 at 12:09 PM.

Astonishing Member Blind Wedjat's Avatar

Homecoming is genuinely a good film and a good Spider-Man film, perhaps one of the best we've ever gotten. MCU Spider-Man as a character overall is serviceable, not great. But Homecoming was such a good start and a nice way to introduce the character in a new era. I will die on this hill.

Far from Home therefore is a **** film that completely ruined MCU Spider-Man's potential. Everything that needed to be let go of following the end of Homecoming was simply doubled down upon. I'd argue that this film plus the events of Infinity War and Endgame are why we have the problems with MCU Spider-Man. From top to bottom, that film is just a mistake.

The Raimi films at their core did capture the essence of the character, but I dislike the hold it has on people who think it's the only way to do Spider-Man in film. It ignores that they weren't perfect in many regards. What carries those films is the writing and Raimi's passionate directing. What doesn't carry the film are Tobey Maguire and Kirsten Dunst who are a bore to watch and are both boring characters. In all of those films, it's the older actors that give the best performances, and not the leads. Maguire's Spider-Man is only held in high regard because he was given the best material, not because he was actually great in the role. Andrew Garfield and Tom Holland are the exact opposite of that: great actors that fit the part but not given the best material.