Page 85 of 176 FirstFirst ... 357581828384858687888995135 ... LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,275 of 2628
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    This is victim blaming you're engaging in here. Striking your spouse is never acceptable and whether or not they are capable of defending themselves is irrelevant.
    I think what he meant was that the reaction to one kind of abusive relationship, in which a woman hits a man is minimal in comparision to the reaction to another kind of abusive relationship, in which a man hits a woman.

People see when a woman hits a man that she is in a relationship with, its more likely because the man allow the woman to do it.

Astonishing Member

Why is it that the one Slott story people that people actually seem to like, Spider-Island, I think is boring and fanfiction-y? Is it just because Peter and Carlie broke-up?

Quote Originally Posted by prepmaster View Post
    I think what he meant was that the reaction to one kind of abusive relationship, in which a woman hits a man is minimal in comparision to the reaction to another kind of abusive relationship, in which a man hits a woman.

People see when a woman hits a man that she is in a relationship with, its more likely because the man allow the woman to do it.
    He was not talking about women getting away with being abusive to men. His comment was entirely about the victims of abuse should have gotten right back up and hit back.

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    I actually find it pretty sexist to keep on about those two. Yeah, their wives got hit... but their wives are combat trained superheroes. They aren't victims. They should have gotten right back up and blasted back. They would have if it was Dr. Doom! If Reed had slapped Johnny to break the mental control... nobody woudl have said anything. But because it was 'the girl'... it suddenly becomes an unforgivable sin...
    The argument about women being physically abusive to men is a completely different beast.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    He was not talking about women getting away with being abusive to men. His comment was entirely about the victims of abuse should have gotten right back up and hit back.

The argument about women being physically abusive to men is a completely different beast.
    Marvel seems to believe women who don't fight back against (because maybe they're afraid of being killed on the spot) should be tortured and maimed even further! See GSMT #4 Steve Gerber, Jim Mooney.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I don't think this is the thread to discuss one's opinions on Hank Pym since he has nothing to do with Spider-Man beyond sharing an insect theme. Comparing the treatment/handling/leadup to the respective hitting is one thing, but otherwise Hank has nothing to do with this thread.
    Actually, spiders are arachnids.

I know more commonality between Ant-Man & Spider-Man; hyphen and Josh Keaton.
    Last edited by Speed Force League Unlimited; 03-19-2021 at 12:47 PM.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

Extraordinary Member

Not sure how others feel about this...but Teresa Parker really needs some love. After Family Business and the Spectacular Spider-Man run that brought her back and confirmed she is Peter's sister she has been relegated to showing up and dragging Peter into some spy mission she is on...but no real development of her relationship with Peter...and IIRC May does not even know she is her niece.

Maybe give her a sub plot through several issues that has Peter updating her wings (maybe building her a Redwing-esque drone), introducing her to his friend 'Steve from Brooklyn' to help get intel for a mission and Teresa goes all fan girl meeting Cap and gets embarrassed, maybe gets pitted against the Vulturions as hired guns for the bad guy she is going after...a costume, mask and code name...Sunday dinner with her brother and aunt.

Get her to be a little more than this 2 dimensional character.
    Last edited by Chris0013; 03-27-2021 at 09:33 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by prepmaster View Post

I think the reason is because a woman abusing an ADULT male is less common, so most people do not believe it happens. Keep in mind, there are still plenty of bad ladies who abuse children ( boys and girls alike). As for male abuse by a female, there was an episode of NCIS ( my personal favorite called Light Sleeper, dealing with the deaths of Marine wives and more importantly then who did it but why), that showed a Marine abused by one of those women. The marks on his chest were not pretty. He tolerated it because he knew if he said something “He would get blamed for abusing her even though he was innocent).

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    I think the reason is because a woman abusing an ADULT male is less common, so most people do not believe it happens. Keep in mind, there are still plenty of bad ladies who abuse children ( boys and girls alike). As for male abuse by a female, there was an episode of NCIS ( my personal favorite called Light Sleeper, dealing with the deaths of Marine wives and more importantly then who did it but why), that showed a Marine abused by one of those women. The marks on his chest were not pretty. He tolerated it because he knew if he said something “He would get blamed for abusing her even though he was innocent).
    It happens more often than people think.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domest...ce_against_men

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    It happens more often than people think.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domest...ce_against_men
    I have little doubt about that. Many domestic abuse cases are not reported. It could be a cultural thing, psychological “Build me up tear me down game” taking abuse for the children, financial or other reasons. I cited the NCIS Episode because it was a rare example that I was aware of that showed male abuse by a female. The main character Gibbs ( Mark Harmon) who never admits he is wrong, was shocked to learn that this time he was wrong.

Extraordinary Member

I have little doubt about that. Many domestic abuse cases are not reported. It could be a cultural thing, psychological “Build me up tear me down game” taking abuse for the children, financial or other reasons. I cited the NCIS Episode because it was a rare example that I was aware of that showed male abuse by a female. The main character Gibbs ( Mark Harmon) who never admits he is wrong, was shocked to learn that this time he was wrong.
    I think the first episode of The Rookie had it as well...one of the calls they go on is this big Hispanic guy and it turns out his tiny little wife abuses him...and winds up killing him.

Ultimate Member

It is far less common, but it shouldn't be taken any less seriously.

I think some feminists ger annoyed when this is brought up only when they're trying to talk about female abuse but never anywhere else

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    It is far less common, but it shouldn't be taken any less seriously.

I think some feminists ger annoyed when this is brought up only when they're trying to talk about female abuse but never anywhere else
    I agree 100%. Any kind of abuse: Physical, verbal, psychological or ( especially) sexual should be unacceptable. The problem with some feminists ( like many who support a given cause) is they take a very narrow view of things which right or wrong can rub people who may disagree the wrong way.

Ultimate Member

I agree 100%. Any kind of abuse: Physical, verbal, psychological or ( especially) sexual should be unacceptable. The problem with some feminists ( like many who support a given cause) is they take a very narrow view of things which right or wrong can rub people who may disagree the wrong way.
    Well, what I'm saying is some people only bring up male victims of abuse to bash feminism. I've seen it online

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Well, what I'm saying is some people only bring up male victims of abuse to bash feminism. I've seen it online
    I am an equal opportunity hater of abusers. I do not care who does it male or female. I especially detest harming those who are defenseless like babies and small children

Ultimate Member

I am an equal opportunity hater of abusers. I do not care who does it male or female. I especially detest harming those who are defenseless like babies and small children
    I agree. I just get annoyed with people using any excuse to undermine gender equality. Male abuse is a real problem and shouldn't be used as a tool to ignore female abuse